m3racer123

Ford vs Ferrari | Nov 15 2019 | Fox | James Mangold directing

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-mangold-next-film-ford-ferrari-logan-1202687686/

James Mangold has come on board to direct a project about the battle between the designers at Ford and Ferrari to create the world’s fastest racecar, Variety has learned.

Based on a true story, the film follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby and his British driver, Ken Miles, who are dispatched by Henry Ford II with the mission of building from scratch an entirely new automobile with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari at the 1966 Le Mans World Championship. The project doesn’t have a formal title, but is known internally as the “Untitled Ford vs. Ferrari Project.”

YES!!!!!

Been wanting someone to do a movie about this for God knows how long. If you are a car enthusiast and haven't seen the mini documentary from James May about this subject, you're missing out badly.

I was hoping that Ron Howard would do a movie about the theme, due to the very positive reception that Rush recieved, but I'll take James Mangold as he's a pretty damn solid director too.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

YES!!!!!

Been wanting someone to do a movie about this for God knows how long. If you are a car enthusiast and haven't seen the mini documentary from James May about this subject, you're missing out badly.

I was hoping that Ron Howard would do a movie about the theme, due to the very positive reception that Rush recieved, but I'll take James Mangold as he's a pretty damn solid director too.

Have you seen The 24 Hour War? That's a good documentary that goes into a lot of detail on the subject, although it's a little biased toward the Ford perspective (as expected really).

33 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

Have you seen The 24 Hour War? That's a good documentary that goes into a lot of detail on the subject, although it's a little biased toward the Ford perspective (as expected really).

Yes, I have seen it. It's good, indeed, but I felt exactly the same way regarding pro-Ford bias. That's why, even I though I championed Howard and am okay w/Mangold getting the gig, I would say that a non-American (and not-Italian) director would probably be a wise bet.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yes, I have seen it. It's good, indeed, but I felt exactly the same way regarding pro-Ford bias. That's why, even I though I championed Howard and am okay w/Mangold getting the gig, I would say that a non-American (and not-Italian) director would probably be a wise bet.

I grew up during the F1 Ferrari domination so I have no problem with them as the "bad guys". I actually want it.

44 minutes ago, Kraken said:

I grew up during the F1 Ferrari domination so I have no problem with them as the "bad guys". I actually want it.

That's the thing: this isn't F1, and when you think about it, there's no real bad guy in this story. Ferrari wanted to keep control of the motorsport side of his company and wouldn't accept relinquishing it to Ford, and Ford became so furious about that that they wanted to humilliate Ferrari in Le Mans themselves. If anything, Ford seem like the closer thing to "villains" in this story, as their ambition to increase their motorsport reputation was what drove the feud to begin with, albeit Ferrari's stubbornness definitely didn't help.

I wouldn't complain if anyone paints either side w/some bias (like The 24 Hour War did), but I prefer a completely unbiased pov, which is why it would be a smart choice to hire a non-American/Italian director, to avoid that some patriotic pride steps in front of the camera.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 11:13 PM, NickDisney13 said:

Josh Lucas Joins James Mangold’s Untitled Ford vs. Ferrari Film

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/josh-lucas-ford-vs-ferrari-james-mangold-1202886570/

Dude was fantastic in The Mend a couple years back. I'd like for him to come back as a character actor. 

On 8/12/2018 at 5:58 AM, Hatebox said:

Gonna be weird hearing Bale with his actual accent. But Mangold movies are always worth a look, and the American angle should ensure it does a bit better than Rush.

Ken Miles has a very unique voice (kinda weird really) so I doubt it will be his actual accent.  It will be strange hearing him use a British accent again though. 

Yeah, I just learned about this movie. The theater I work for, we are in a small town with a big well known race track. Anyway, we got a email from one of the race circuits that is scheduled to be at the track that same weekend this movie's coming out. They want to buy out the whole theater and do a private show for this film.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

Yeah, I just learned about this movie. The theater I work for, we are in a small town with a big well known race track. Anyway, we got a email from one of the race circuits that is scheduled to be at the track that same weekend this movie's coming out. They want to buy out the whole theater and do a private show for this film.    

So no date change. Good!

8 hours ago, Neucentro said:

So no date change. Good!

It may not have many replies on this thread but I don't think this is a small film. Two A-listers in starring roles and a big name studio director. He has made 4 $100M-budget movies consecutively for Fox in the last decade. Think this will be pretty big budget, so they will really not want to delay it.

See no reason for it to move. It was filmed last summer and out this summer, plenty of time.

Edited by Avatree