m3racer123

Ford vs Ferrari | Nov 15 2019 | Fox | James Mangold directing

Yeah, I don't think it will do well outside of technicals (which is already a tight race with Ad Astra, 1917, and The Aeronauts) at the Academy. Seems like fun though and I can see it get an ensemble nom at the SAG awards and maybe a PGA nom.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, I don't think it will do well outside of technicals (which is already a tight race with Ad Astra, 1917, and The Aeronauts) at the Academy. 

Bale's getting career-best notices and he's already a 4-time nominee... 

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Bale is a dark horse for a nom if you ask me. I think the movie is going to get lost in the crowd. But maybe Joker bad reviews will push him above Phoenix.

Bale's going supporting

Yea I mean Supporting Actor and the techs look most likely but I'm not ruling it out for Picture yet tbf, plenty of classically made adult dramas have impressed older audiences and made it in despite not having the immediate festival "wow!!!" buzz. See: Dallas Buyers Club, American Sniper, Bridge of Spies, Hacksaw Ridge, Bohemian Rhapsody, hell, maybe even Argo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Happy to see Disney has a winner with this. They really needed a W this year :sparta:

tfw Disney's two best films of 2019 are from Fox and are also the ones they won't allow Fox to green-light anymore 

• Sad 1

The characters can seldom compete with the cars in auto racing movies, but that’s not the case with Ford v Ferrari, a full-bodied and exciting true-life story in which the men behind the wheels are just as dynamic as the machines they drive. Fronted by fine lead performances by Christian Bale and Matt Damon as, respectively, racing legends Ken Miles and Carroll Shelby, this is a well-built vehicle in every respect that should make a good run through theaters and a substantial home-viewing afterlife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

so this will be this year's green book?

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

If old, white schmucks like Scott Mantz loved it, I can see it get into BP. Scott Mantz LOVED Green Book (I even remember him prancing around on an Oscars livestream when it won BP) and we saw what happened so yeah I think this can become a Best Picture nominee.

This movie's actually gonna be good, so it's already nothing like Green Book

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If old, white schmucks like Scott Mantz loved it, I can see it get into BP. Scott Mantz LOVED Green Book (I even remember him prancing around on an Oscars livestream when it won BP) and we saw what happened so yeah I think this can become a Best Picture nominee.

Bale better not jump in the Phoenix vs Driver race tho..