m3racer123

Ford vs Ferrari | Nov 15 2019 | Fox | James Mangold directing

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

the Green Book hatred on the internet is really overblown.. 

sure it might not have been the best movie of 2018 but it was a hell of a crowd-pleaser :rock:

Kinda for all the wrong reasons, tbh. Good little film if you ignore the historical context. Borderline bad film if you don't.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

True story, my friend and I were talking about the Oscars and I legit was like I don’t even remember what won best picture last year.  I had to Google Oscars 2018. And then I was like oh. That’s why. 

The reviews look solid. I am interested that a couple of the female reviews commented on how masculine it felt. Because it does really give that vibe. So. Might like it, might not. I do looooove car chases/racing, So the praise for that definitely a plus. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

How so ?

Off-topic in spoilers:

Spoiler

Well intentioned film with a perfectly functional narrative, technically speaking. From a mindless enjoyment perspective, it's entertaining, well acted, well directed and funny. And I can't say that a film that's trying to tell people to not be racist doesn't have a heart.

But it argues "how far we've come" when it comes to race relations despite the fact that they're still a far cry from being stable. It basically serves as a feel good moment for any white person who ever might've been racist, because it just pats them on the back and reminds them that "it used to be worse". It also has a lot of dumbass, annoying moments sprinkled throughout. And it's historically inaccurate as fuck, for a film that prided itself in being based off of "a real friendship". It's laughably naive to the point of frustration.

Maybe saying it's borderline bad is exaggerated, as the film is well executed from a technical angle and does have a soul to it, but it just comes across as wrong in many ways.

Back on topic: Ford V Ferrari looks awesome.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Given his body of work....  we may have reached peak film fest hyperbole.

Cop Land, Logan & 3:10 to Yuma are all gggreat. Walk the Line aged bad, but it still had an excellent central performance from the Joaq

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Given his body of work....  we may have reached peak film fest hyperbole.

I understand that to mean "It's a loft achievement given that he has not made this kind of quality film in the past", no?