Water Bottle

WB's Top 25 2017 Movies and Pop Culture Honors

• Community Manager

Moving on to the list.

valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-plan

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Grade: B+

(despite @That One Guy stanning too much for it pre-release)

Could the acting have been better? Sure. The movie though was a pretty fun science fiction romp, one I enjoyed watching with @Telehilation last year. The plot could have easily fit a classic Star Trek story. But what really set the movie apart were the visuals and the action set pieces. There was so much imagination and creativity that is missing in so many movies nowadays. The movie might not be for everyone but Luc Besson keeps proving that his movies are ones you need to check out since they are all interesting on some level.

Quad_AW_32462-Wind-River-e1501442990166.

Wind River

Grade: B+

Atmospheric with beautiful scenery, Wind River is a pretty great murder mystery taking place on a frozen Indian reservation. The mystery itself is pretty intriguing but the action scene it leads to is pretty fantastic. Taylor Sheridan has proven himself to be a top-notch writer in the industry and once he hones in on his directing skills, he'll be a wonderful director. I wouldn't be surprised if his future films manage to crack the top 10 or even top 5.

Next Up is Best Computer Game.

• Like 7
  • Disbelief 2

• Community Manager

Best Computer Game

maxresdefault.jpg

Battle Royale: The Video Game can be very fun even if I'm not very good at it. Despite multiple sessions, I didn't get a single kill but sometimes I made it quite a bit before my untimely demise. I'm not very good at first-person shooters on the PC anymore (too used to console controllers for shooters now) and I don't have the desire to practice to get good at the game: but if I did, I'm sure I'd join @4815162342 and @Deep Wang when they play together.

(This was a tough award. My favorite PC game in 2017 was Europa Univerlasis IV but that's a 2013 game and it's been my favorite since then except for the time when Pillars of Eternity came out. Then I was like "I'll give it to Stellaris or Hearts of Iron IV" but those came out in 2016. Then I was going to give it Obsidian's Tyranny but that also came out in 2016.)

Next up is #21 (a freaking horror film of all things) and #20 (a comic book movie).

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

12 hours ago, The Mad Panda said:

How do you see Ragnarok and forget if Loki was even in it?  He’s pretty much a co-lead

Ragnarok was utterly forgettable, real disappointment. I remember the bit where Odin is showing asgardians a theatrical version of the story where Loki is played by like matt damon or someone.

In my defence, I was quite distracted by the girl I took to see it. Childish and cliche but neither of us were paying full attention to the film...

I will give it another shot when it comes on Netflix but yeah I didn't think much of it. Shame as Taika is so talented.

• Community Manager

Sorry for the delay, having some technical difficulties.

IT-2017-1080p-HC-HDRip.jpg

It

It is a movie that probably could have used more time to even further flesh out it's characters or the very least separate it's sequences so they didn't always follow each other. Still, I did want to see more of It and while some of the faithful fans of the book might not have been completely happy, It is a pretty good screen adaption of half of a 600-page book.

r_guardiansofthegalaxyvol2_header_prestr

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Guardians of the Galaxy  Vol 2. had the rough task of following up on the brashly original and very funny Guardians of the Galaxy. As a sequel, it simply couldn't deliver the seemingly fresh experience that the original delivered. So instead of trying to do that or top it, the sequel decided to double down on the jokes while digging deeper into Peter Quill and the other Guardians. And for the most part it worked. It might not be as fresh as the first film but it's more mature (despite at times being more juvenile) and in some ways that makes it a better film. 

Next up is Best TV Comedy.

• Like 6

• Community Manager

Best TV Comedy

TheGoodPlace-S2-ShowImage-1920x1080-KO.j

The Good Place

As funny as it is witty, The Good Place is the rare philosophical comedy that explores the very idea of what it means to be a good human. A show with as many twists as a soap opera, it is also consistently reinventing itself ensuring that it manages to remain fresh. The Good Place is the rare show that just about everybody should check out: not only should it make you laugh out loud but it'll leave you thinking afterwards...not just about what's going to happen next, but about the actual world around us.

Plus it has Kristen Bell. What's not to love?

Next up is #19 (another comic book movie) and #18 (an action movie).

• Like 5

• Community Manager

MV5BMjQwODQwNTg4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTk4

Logan

Logan is probably the boldest comic book movie of 2017. The action sequences it has are pretty great and some of them involve children. CHILDREN! It's about two aging men who have lost everybody they fought with and fought for and are losing a step: the telepath his mind, the raging killing machine his body. It's set in a bleak future where mutants have disappeared and kids are being experimented on. Logan is not a happy film. At the end, the day isn't really saved. The characters simply survive to fight another day. It's a bit too slow at times but Logan is an achievement that shows comic book movies still have a lot to offer.

latest?cb=20161128160701

John Wick Chapter 2

The original John Wick was an exciting introduction to a world built around hit men bolstered by some of the finest action scenes of the year. While the sequel has some pacing problems, the action scenes are simply an art of their own while the world gets expanded on in a way that remains personal to our hero. The cliff-hanger ending promising a third entry makes me really excited to see where it goes in the future. But until then we'll always have Keanu Reeves killing people with a freaking pencil.

Next up is Best TV Drama.

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

• Community Manager

Best TV Drama

riverdale.png

Riverdale

I thought long and hard about this one. On the one hand, Stranger Things' second season was almost as good as it's first. On the other hand, Agents of SHIELD is probably the drama I look most forward to watching when I'm not behind on television. But man that first season of Riverdale was exciting and it was crazy in a good way. Not to mention but it's style means that even when it does slow down, it at least always looks interesting which is a good trait to have. So Riverdale steals this award.

Next up is #17 (a family movie) and #16 (the opposite of a family movie). 

• Like 4

• Community Manager

Wonder-TWITTER-FB-OG.jpg

Wonder

When I first saw the trailer, I thought to myself "obvious pass". Even when the good reviews came in and I heard many good things about it, I still was going to pass on Wonder. But then I got Moviepass and realizing it would only cost me a couple hours of my time, I decided I might as well give it a shot. And boy was I glad I did. Yes, it's a bit cheesy and melodramatic. But to my surprise the movie didn't just have a three-dimensional main character BUT it started to explore the lives of the characters around him. That's when the movie really started to elevate to the point where I wanted to spend more time in the world and learn more about the other characters. To me, that's a sign of a good film. Wonder deserves it's place on this list and if you have any reservations about seeing it, give it a shot.

three-billboards.jpg

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

First can I say that if you think that the movie was making the racist cop a noble character at the end, you need to recheck your values if you think him going with Frances McDormand to cold blood murder someone is part of a redemption arc. Anyways, Three Billboards is an interesting character study of people living in a small town and how anger can shut you off. It's not perfect but it's a pretty great film that gets you really invested in the lives of the characters. It's not a happy ending, it's tragic in many ways, and leaves you with few resolutions but that's the script remaining true to the story wanting to be told. 

Next up is #15 (a vastly underrated movie), #14 (the only animated movie on this list), #13 (a historical drama), #12 (a comedy), and #11 (a drama). That's right 5 movies in one post!

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

• Community Manager

__5a00f5065bfa0.jpg

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Yes, I think Kingsman is better than Three Billboards. Yes, I know most people think this is a bad movie. Yes, I'm aware this is probably my most controversial pick. I'm still doing it. I was looking forward to this spy movie ever since I saw the first brilliant Kingsman movie. The sequel wasn't what I expected. It doubled down on the eccentric and on it's comic book roots. For some reason though, it really clicked with me. I guess I'm just on the exact right wavelength that found the whole movie entertaining, interesting, and ambitious as hell. The Golden Circle doesn't play it safe. It suffered for it. But it does earn a spot on the top 15. So small consolation?

Coco-(2017)-1-News.jpg

Coco

I mean is anyone surprised that this is the animated movie that made my list? It was my avatar and part of my username. A celebration of my heritage, Coco might be predictable but it'll still give you all the feels while making you laugh. Coco isn't the one hundred percent knockout that Pixar is capable of-hence why it misses the top 10-but it's by far the best animated movie of the year. Pixar remains one of the best at evoking feelings from three-dimensional characters and amazing structure. 

fid17838.jpg

Darkest Hour

The perfect companion piece to Dunkirk, Darkest Hour is a brilliant movie about the early days of Winston Churchill's prime ministership. He was thrust into a war that the elite was still resisting had to be fought but that Winston knew must end in victory or it would be the end of the British Empire. Gary Oldman gives an amazing performance but the rest of the cast rises to the occasion as well. And even in this movie about the darkest hour, the glimmers of hope shine the brightest.

review.jpg

Girls Trip

It's a hilarious raunchy comedy about friendship. That sentence might not make Girls Trip immediately stand out and yet the reason it's on this list isn't just because it probably made me laugh the most at the theater. No, it's the well developed characters and their relationships. You truly want these girls to remain friends even as life tries it's best to tear them apart. A comedy with real laugh out loud moments where you care about the people? That's a rare accomplishment and Girls Trip deserves all the praise it can get.

only-the-brave-header.jpg

Only the Brave

I went in expecting a solid drama but nothing else. I left with tears in my eyes. This is a movie based on real heroes, their tribulations, their lives. They really were the brave: throwing themselves into dangerous situations to protect people and their homes. Okay, the movie does run a little long and drags in some places. But even those slow, dull moments all serve a purpose: it develops the characters even more so by the end, your really connected with many of them. If you haven't seen this movie, make sure to add it to your watch list and buy a tissue box. You'll need it.

Next up is #10: a fantasy movie that also had a festival run.

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

I wasn't as enthralled by The Golden Circle, but I thought it had some very cool moments, and the friend who went with me to see it told me it was the best film ever. Placement on a list such as this is absolutely understandable.

I think #10 is The Shape of Water. I'm probably wrong. Somehow.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1