Water Bottle

WB's Top 25 2017 Movies and Pop Culture Honors

• Community Manager

@Telehilation got it kinda right? Sorry @slambros your streak comes to an end.

0.jpg

War for the Planet of the Apes

I thought both Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes were well done, excellent crafted films even if I didn't particularly love them. It's almost the same with War for the Planet of the Apes: I didn't really love it but it's such a well-done film it deserves it's spot on the list nonetheless. The Apes trilogy comes to an end with a box office disappointment and a pretty dark, depressing film. The title of the film also promises a larger-scale war than we get. But man, Matt Reeves is simply one of the best directors working today non-stop and this film is a perfect showcase of why. 

Next up the movie is one that makes it rain.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

• Community Manager

all-the-money-in-the-world-et00062203-16

All the Money in the World

A movie about the family of a guy who had enough money to really make it rain. It's yet another fascinating true story brought to life by a wonderful performances by the cast. We may never know how a certain actor did in the role but Christopher Plummer delivered a knockout performance as Getty. By the way, not many directors could successfully replace a main actor and do all the reshoots late in the post-production process without delaying the release date. That is very admirable and the average viewer won't notice. All the Money in the World is a great addition to Ridley Scott's film library. 

The next movie comes from a well-regarded director.

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

all the money in the world was rubbish, completely lacked any kind of tension, and the most sympathetic character was the hostageer (kidnapper? terrorist? definitely hostageer)

all over the place and quite boring, bad performances from most of the cast and a waste of time on the part of the production, in terms of the reshoots etc.

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

all the money in the world was rubbish, completely lacked any kind of tension, and the most sympathetic character was the hostageer (kidnapper? terrorist? definitely hostageer)

all over the place and quite boring, bad performances from most of the cast and a waste of time on the part of the production, in terms of the reshoots etc.

This is my Top 25 list so it's based on my opinion. ;) 

• Like 1

• Community Manager

__5a56ddb927cad.jpg

The Post

The Post is yet another fantastic movie in Spielberg's recent career renaissance (following the fantastic Bridge of Spies). The movie is wonderfully directed with great cinematography and wonderful acting by Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. Once again, it tells a rather compelling true story I knew nothing about going into the movie. After all when you think Nixon scandal involving the Washington Post, you think Watergate not the Vietnam papers. And in this day and age when the media is constantly under attack, the Post is a fresh reminder that the news outlets are an important part of our democracy and they should be revered. 

Next up is a comedy of sorts.

• Like 4

• Community Manager

get-out-20172203.jpg

Get Out

Brilliant. Funny. Scary in it's own way. Get Out came out nowhere, it exploded in the box office, and it's compelling material was particularly relevant in 2017. It was a very well-done, if a bit low-key, movie where I genuinely was curious where Peele was heading with it until the very explosive, executed third act. Seriously, this is a movie that almost everybody likes and it really began the year on a good note. And yet for many months, it seemed destined to be the best film of the year.

Next up IS the best movie of the year. And it's not mother! I didn't even see mother! 

• Like 5