Water Bottle

WB's Top 25 2017 Movies and Pop Culture Honors

• Community Manager
6 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Best PS4 game is MLB

Not Persona, HZD, Crash, or even Gran Turismo

:gold:

Persona is the series where you capture and control demons and try to kill God right? Yeah as a Christian not a fan of the series. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Persona is the series where you capture and control demons and try to kill God right? Yeah as a Christian not a fan of the series. 

Eh...not quite. kill a god, not the Christian God. Really it's just all powerful beings that wrap themselves in the trapping of a god. (And even then it's definitely more Japanese deity structure than Christian one.) And you capture an assortment of creatures from demons to angels, and even deities from other religions. Which are meant more as physical representations of the human psyche, and not the literal demon/angel/deity

That being said, definitely not for you Persona 5, which does borrow from Christianity in what it tries to build of it's themes and story. And...certainly things you would probably find inappropriate or offensive.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, RandomYojimbo said:

Eh...not quite. kill a god, not the Christian God. Really it's just all powerful beings that wrap themselves in the trapping of a god. (And even then it's definitely more Japanese deity structure than Christian one.) And you capture an assortment of creatures from demons to angels, and even deities from other religions. Which are meant more as physical representations of the human psyche, and not the literal demon/angel/deity

That being said, definitely not for you Persona 5, which does borrow from Christianity in what it tries to build of it's themes and story. And...certainly things you would probably find inappropriate or offensive.

Inappropriate? Sure. Offensive? Maybe to God but its not my place to get offended for him. You are right though it's not for me. And that's perfectly okay. Not everything can be. :)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Inappropriate? Sure. Offensive? Maybe to God but its not my place to get offended for him. You are right though it's not for me. And that's perfectly okay. Not everything can be. :)

I can see some finding the ending offensive. I still think it's a well made game, but it's not for everyone. I can't argue with your choice though, this has been a completely dead year for games for me except from pulling from archives.

• Like 3

• Community Manager

shape-of-water.jpg?itok=zuI7FsZr

The Shape of Water

The Shape of Water is a brilliant fantasy film from a real master: Guillermo del Toro. This is frankly his best film since Pan's Labryinth and this one even came close at times to top it. The only part I'm really iff is during the musical sequence that was probably a bit too much considering the rest of the film. But then again this is also a film where Octavia Spencer wonders how Sally Hawkins had fish sex and Sally Hawkins reveals information that was at the same time too much but also widely wanted. Shape of Water is brilliant in so many ways and it's as wondrous as the creature it features front and center.

Next up is #9 (yet another sequel).

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

shape-of-water.jpg?itok=zuI7FsZr

The Shape of Water

The Shape of Water is a brilliant fantasy film from a real master: Guillermo del Toro. This is frankly his best film since Pan's Labryinth and this one even came close at times to top it. The only part I'm really iff is during the musical sequence that was probably a bit too much considering the rest of the film. But then again this is also a film where Octavia Spencer wonders how Sally Hawkins had fish sex and Sally Hawkins reveals information that was at the same time too much but also widely wanted. Shape of Water is brilliant in so many ways and it's as wondrous as the creature it features front and center.

Next up is #9 (yet another sequel).

dildo__2321_620x.jpg

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

• Community Manager

sw-the-last-jedi-tall-B.jpg

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The first time I saw the movie, I thought it was somehow going to miss my top 25 entirely. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but I didn't think it was great enough to be on this list much less the top 10. I hated the Canto Bright scenes, thought the movie had pacing issues, and in general it just felt too long. I did like a lot of the risks it took but Canto Bright simply feels too much like Hunger Games and too little like Star Wars. The second time I watched it, though, the movie improved a lot. Canto Bright, while still easily the worst part, wasn't as bad now that I knew to expect it and everything else was so much fun. So in a rare moment for a movie, I actually bumped the movie from a low B+ to a low A- and that was enough to not only get it to the Top 25...but the Top 10.

Next up is #8 (yet another comic book movie).

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

• Community Manager

spider-man-homecoming-banner.jpg

Spider-Man Homecoming

Spider-Man Homecoming is two things. The first is that it's easily the funniest Marvel movie for me. While not every single joke lands, most of them do and there's a LOT of jokes in this movie. I know Marvel gets a lot of flack for daring to include humor in it's movies but like really? Don't you sometimes just want to have fun in theaters? Anyways, it's also a pretty good story where Peter Parker has to actually earn the suit Tony Parker made for him. And let's face it, the surprise twist where we find out the Vulture is the girl's father? That's a shocking moment nobody I know saw coming and the fact that the movie managed to shock people with it-this far in a franchise-is only a good thing. Count me excited for the next MCU Spidey adventure.

(Next up is a comedy about human hubris...or not. Whatever.)

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 2

• Community Manager

the-disaster-artist-poster.jpg

The Disaster Artist

This movie is a fascinating, compelling look into the masterpiece that is Room. Oh wait, I got that wrong. I mean it's a fascinating, compelling look into the terrible yet utterly watchable The Room. In all seriousness: this movie is good. It has an interesting enigma at the center of the movie-the actor, the director, the writer-who remains a mystery throughout the film. He's such an interesting guy that one would be forgiven for wanting him to get his own reality series. But the main character of the movie is the guy who helped him, his friend, his enemy, the closest thing he probably has to family.  Through him we learn about Tommy but also his own story is interesting: how he got mixed up with the guy, how they decided it would be a good idea to make a movie, and how it affected their relationship. The Room might be terrible but the Disaster Artist is the great film it wanted to be. 

Next up is a movie with Wonder Woman. Which one could it be?

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

• Community Manager

professor-marston-and-the-wonder-women-f

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women

I saw this movie with @Dexter of Suburbia at an advanced screening and boy was I glad that I did. While the movie isn't entirely accurate (but what movie is?) it is still the interesting backstory for a superhero character that I simply didn't know about. The subtext of the early Wonder Woman comic books is explored along with the personal life of the creator and the two women he loved. The relationship between all three is as complex as you'd imagine two women sharing one men can be. This movie isn't for the young-the subject material is definitely very adult-but if you are interested in the story behind Wonder Woman, this movie is a must-watch. And as it turns out the only way for Wonder Woman to make my top 25 list.

Next up is a movie about war. War, what is it good for?

(and yes this means @slambros guessed this pick correctly. He also guessed the Shape of Water. He's on a roll.)

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2