Jump to content
Eric Karga

Best Animated Feature 2018 - Predictions

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jason said:

For better or for worse, there's essentially no way Isle of Dogs is going to win, it's an Academy-wide vote.

 

That's the same Academy that saw fit to nominate Boss Baby to the exclusion of at least half a dozen stronger contenders (from the standpoint of critical reception).

 

That's also more-or-less the same Academy that gave the win to Big Hero 6 over Song of the Sea and The Tale of the Princess Kayuga. (As much as I liked BH6 myself - the gap on critical reception between BH6 and the other two is quite large.)

 

I really don't think Isle of Dogs has enough in its favour to overcome the fact it's a not a blockbuster animation, which is clearly the only kind most Academy members can be bothered to watch.

It's from 6 time nominee Wes Anderson and may end up with an Original Screenplay nomination depending on what the rest of the field looks like. It's definitely in the running for the win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's from 6 time nominee Wes Anderson and may end up with an Original Screenplay nomination depending on what the rest of the field looks like. It's definitely in the running for the win.

 

On reflection I guess it's got some advantages other independent-studio animations haven't had, and it could be another Spirited Away in that it'll be strong in a year where the big-budget American animations are weak.

 

Maybe I'm just too salty about the 2017 rule change the nomination process to think objectively about this category.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

 may end up with an Original Screenplay nomination

this won't happen.

 

i'm pretty sure it's gonna win best cartoon though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason said:

For better or for worse, there's essentially no way (edit: too strong) I think it unlikely Isle of Dogs is going to win, it's an Academy-wide vote.

 

That's the same Academy that saw fit to nominate Boss Baby to the exclusion of at least half a dozen stronger contenders (from the standpoint of critical reception).

 

That's also more-or-less the same Academy that gave the win to Big Hero 6 over Song of the Sea and The Tale of the Princess Kayuga. (As much as I liked BH6 myself - the gap on critical reception between BH6 and the other two is quite large.)

 

I really don't think Isle of Dogs has enough in its favour to overcome the fact it's a not a blockbuster animation, which is clearly the only kind most Academy members can be bothered to watch.

The Wes Anderson factor is a pretty big one, imo.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

this won't happen.

 

i'm pretty sure it's gonna win best cartoon though.

Eh, Moonrise Kingdom managed to do it with a similar level of praise and competition, and this will get nominated in Animated and possibly Score (maybe VFX but I haven't seen the movie to say). If a few of the fall contenders fail, it could pop up.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, Moonrise Kingdom managed to do it with a similar level of praise and competition, and this will get nominated in Animated and possibly Score (maybe VFX but I haven't seen the movie to say). If a few of the fall contenders fail, it could pop up.

:apocalypse:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

:apocalypse:

There ain't much else right now:

 

AD Astra

Dick Cheney

Mid-90s

On the Basis of Sex

Peterloo

Roma

Tully

Under the Silver Lake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WrathOfHan said:

There ain't much else right now:

 

AD Astra

Dick Cheney

Mid-90s

On the Basis of Sex

Peterloo

Roma

Tully

Under the Silver Lake

:apocalypse:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Coolio is saying is that Dark Phoenix will be a huge Oscar contend- wait shit nvm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two new articles have been posted to AwardsWatch regarding Animated contenders for the coming year, and I figured I might as well post them here.

 

This first one focuses on studio contenders:

http://awardswatch.com/2018/03/31/2019-oscars-how-the-best-animated-feature-race-is-shaping-up-part-one-the-studio-contenders/

 

and this next one shares details about the indies:

http://awardswatch.com/2018/04/02/2019-oscars-how-the-best-animated-feature-race-is-shaping-up-part-two-the-indie-contenders/

 

If these two articles are anything to go by, this year is shaping up to be a very exciting race.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MinaTakla

 

Those articles from AwardsWatch on the Best Animated Feature race - they have Erik Anderson listed as the author at the top, but the bio at the bottom is that of Mina Takla, which I presume is you. What's going on there? I've noticed this for a while but haven't asked, today my curiosity is getting the better of me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, slambros said:

Two new articles have been posted to AwardsWatch regarding Animated contenders for the coming year, and I figured I might as well post them here.

 

This first one focuses on studio contenders:

http://awardswatch.com/2018/03/31/2019-oscars-how-the-best-animated-feature-race-is-shaping-up-part-one-the-studio-contenders/

 

and this next one shares details about the indies:

http://awardswatch.com/2018/04/02/2019-oscars-how-the-best-animated-feature-race-is-shaping-up-part-two-the-indie-contenders/

 

If these two articles are anything to go by, this year is shaping up to be a very exciting race.

Thanks for posting these, written by yours truly:) I forgot to add them here on the forum.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jason said:

@MinaTakla

 

Those articles from AwardsWatch on the Best Animated Feature race - they have Erik Anderson listed as the author at the top, but the bio at the bottom is that of Mina Takla, which I presume is you. What's going on there? I've noticed this for a while but haven't asked, today my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Hi Jason, thanks for asking!

Yes that's me indeed - I am the foreign correspondent of Awards watch and all year long, I go to film festivals (Cannes, Venice, Berlin, BFI London and Annecy) and write weekly Oscar pieces on 2 races: Best Animated Feature and Best Foreign Language Film. I started working with them on these articles last year and covered both races across around 50 articles. 

Erik  Anderson - the manager of the website - uploads all these pieces (I send them to him in word format) and since he's the website admin as well as being its founder and manager, any article he posts (whether by me or his), the CMS of the website counts it as "by Erik" since he uploaded it. That's why we made my name appear in the footer since I am not uploading them on my own.

Next month I will be in Cannes and will be covering all animated films there on Awards Watch - stay tuned! 

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely can't wait to see what Animated films will be at Cannes this year! In years past, it's been a launch pad, and I believe it can be a launch pad again this year!

 

I think I want to talk about GKids and how they've taken strides with their acquisitions of anime films. This year, they have Lu Over The Wall and The Night is Short, Walk On Girl, as well as Fireworks and Makoto Shinkai's newest feature, Mirai of the Future. Gkids is proven to be able to push a film through when they emphasize it, so will Gkids emphasize one of these anime films? If so, I bet dollars to donuts that the one they choose to focus on will be The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl. But it's still April, and the company is bound to pick up a myriad of films that aren't just anime.

 

Another thing: a Chinese animated film from the Avatar: The Last Airbender animators, Big Fish & Begonia, supposedly released last weekend... it apparently was not tracked by Box Office Mojo as of yesterday, which is pretty weird... but the animation is splendid, and films have scored nominations based on their visual prowess alone in spite of  their flaws (The Croods). It may be too quiet of a release, but it's a film that's definitely worth pointing out, especially as a film that was supposedly a big hit in its own country.

Edited by slambros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slambros said:

I definitely can't wait to see what Animated films will be at Cannes this year! In years past, it's been a launch pad, and I believe it can be a launch pad again this year!

 

I think I want to talk about GKids and how they've taken strides with their acquisitions of anime films. This year, they have Lu Over The Wall and The Night is Short, Walk On Girl, as well as Fireworks and Makoto Shinkai's newest feature, Mirai of the Future. Gkids is proven to be able to push a film through when they emphasize it, so will Gkids emphasize one of these anime films? If so, I bet dollars to donuts that the one they choose to focus on will be The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl. But it's still April, and the company is bound to pick up a myriad of films that aren't just anime.

 

Another thing: a Chinese animated film from the Avatar: The Last Airbender animators, Big Fish & Begonia, supposedly released last weekend... it apparently was not tracked by Box Office Mojo as of yesterday, which is pretty weird... but the animation is splendid, and films have scored nominations based on their visual prowess alone in spite of  their flaws (The Croods). It may be too quiet of a release, but it's a film that's definitely worth pointing out, especially as a film that was supposedly a big hit in its own country.

I'll tell ya now, Fireworks is going nowhere. Shit film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'll tell ya now, Fireworks is going nowhere. Shit film. 

 

After watching the trailer, I am inclined to agree with you. If the academy is largely unwilling to embrace anime, then their stance favors the films that match the more lenient description of anime (such as The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl) than the strict, common description of anime (films like Fireworks, as well as the majority of anime shows being made these days -- I'm talking about the ones at least partially set in the high schools with characters and locations that all look fairly the same). And not only is Fireworks not very good... it's also very blatantly 'anime' (there is perhaps a reason why The Red Turtle beat Your Name), and it is in grave danger of being compared to Your Name as the film that it is. I am very certain that there are much better potential anime films in the running, and I haven't even seen any of them (yet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.03.2018 at 3:23 PM, Joel M said:

Incredibles 2 (and Wreck it Ralph 2) are most likely not winning. The academy has a hard on for PIXAR/Disney originals but kind of ignores the sequels. Monsters University didn't even get nominated and a year before it Brave with similar middling reviews and lower boxoffice won because it was original. Dory with 90+ RT and making a billion WW also didn't even make the nominations. 

It depends on their quality as funny as it is because the difference between Toy Story 3 & Monsters University/Dory is that one is really good while 2 others are mediocre at best. So far from trailers it seems Wreck it Ralph 2 is better than Incredibles 2 which seems to be the trend right now as WDAS becoming stronger & stronger again so may be Ralph will get the Oscar it got robbed of the previous time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might say Wes Anderson is "due", but Incredibles 2 is getting rave reviews. I think the latter is the more likely winner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.