Eric Duncan

Best Animated Feature 2018 - Predictions

3 hours ago, Slambros said:

Well, I saw Mirai last night, and I'm really glad I did. I'm trying to decide whether I prefer this or Maquia, and I'm honestly leaning towards the latter, but this is a film that's worth nominating, if only to gain Mamoru Hosoda a bigger audience.

I remember: the last anime film to be nominated for Best Animated Feature was The Red Turtle, which won the slot over Your Name. This was likely because the academy was more acclimated to the artistic style of The Red Turtle. And I feel like, when comparing Mirai to many of the other anime films, or at least to Maquia, I see that there's not as big of an entry barrier to Mirai for voters that do not regularly watch anime films. The theme that Mirai discusses is truly universal, and the way Mirai discusses it is refreshingly abstract in terms of its artistry.

This is the very first Mamoru Hosoda film I've seen, to be honest. And you know what? I'm rooting for the film to get a nomination. I've said it before and I'll say it again: a nomination will likely widen the worldwide audience that Mamoru Hosoda has. And from what I've heard, Hosoda really deserves it.

Gkids was really smart to emphasize this.

This is likely that fun animation studio didn't let enough of voters have the chance see the film, your name got 5m at the box office of USA, quiet a feat for japanese anime, suggest that the supposed potential.

But distributor just gave a qualifying run for your name without further push. and too bad, 2016 was a very competitive year for animation, unlike these 2 years. 

I believe my points has been brought up here before. I was so disappointed that fun animation didn't push harder before the voting closed.

• Like 1

I liked Mirai, but I'm not convinced it's getting nominated. It can be a pretty out there movie at times and it lacks the relative magic of some of the other anime films we've seen nominated.

It really is a shame that YOUR NAME didn't go further, but Funimation basically didn't back it at all. 

So here's what I'm thinking.

The Annie Award nominees will be announced tomorrow. They nominate five studio films in one best feature category and five independent films in an independent feature category. And I think it's going to be extremely important for films to manage a nomination in their respective categories.

We know that Incredibles 2, Wreck-it Ralph 2, and Spider-Verse are locks for the regular category. That much is for certain.

What I'm thinking about is where Isle of Dogs and Early Man will be placed within these two different categories. Isle of Dogs was successful in wide release, but it is also a film distributed by Fox Searchlight, so I think it could go either way. Early Man just got nominated (and won) a special effects award in the British Independent Film Awards, and that makes me a little more interested in that film's standing.

If one or both of those films cross the boundary, that gives more room for a film like Smallfoot to get a nomination in the regular category. However, that would potentially (or assuredly, in Isle of Dogs' case) take away a nomination from an independent or international film.

But I'll assume, for now, that both films will go for the regular category, on the grounds that they were given wide releases in the domestic market. The independent category has a lot of films that could be placed into it; the ones that I think will almost definitely get a nomination are Mirai, Ruben Brandt Collector, and Liz and the Blue Bird (which got a boost from the Satellite Awards). That leaves two spots for a myriad of films to fight over; that group includes:

- Have a Nice Day

- Lu Over The Wall

- Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms

- The Night is Short, Walk On Girl

- On Happiness Road

- Tito and the Birds

So I think this is going to be a precursor that ultimately seals the fate of quite a few films.

Edited by Slambros

https://deadline.com/2018/12/annie-awards-incredibles-2-ralph-breaks-the-internet-spider-man-into-the-spiderverse-1202512564/

Annie Award noms are up

Best Animated Feature

Early Man
Aardman Animations

Incredibles 2
Pixar Animation Studios

Isle Of Dogs
Fox Searchlight Pictures / Indian Paintbrush / American Empirical Pictures

Ralph Breaks The Internet
Walt Disney Animation Studios

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Sony Pictures Animation

Best Animated Independent Feature

Ce Magnifique Gâteau!
Beast Animation, Vivement Lundi !, Pedri Animation

MFKZ
Ankama / Studio 4ºC

Mirai
Studio Chizu

Ruben Brandt, Collector
Hungarian National Film Fund

Tito and the Birds
Bits Productions, Split Studio

Some  oscar-related category from annie awards

Best Animated Independent Feature

Ce Magnifique Gâteau!, Beast Animation, Vivement Lundi!, Pedri Animation
MFKZ, Ankama/Studio 4ºC
Mirai, Studio Chizu
Ruben Brandt, Collector, Hungarian National Film Fund
Tito and the Birds, Bits Productions, Split Studio

Best Animated Feature

Early Man, Aardman Animations
Incredibles 2, Pixar Animation Studios
Isle of Dogs, Fox Searchlight Pictures/Indian Paintbrush/American Empirical Pictures
Ralph Breaks the Internet, Walt Disney Animation Studios
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Sony Pictures Animation

Directing in an Animated Feature Production

Early Man, Aardman Animations; Director: Nick Park
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, Sony Pictures Animation; Director: Genndy Tartakovsky
Incredibles 2, Pixar Animation Studios; Director: Brad Bird
Ralph Breaks The Internet, Walt Disney Animation Studios; Director: Rich Moore, Director: Phil Johnston
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Sony Pictures Animation; Director: Bob Persichetti, Director: Rodney Rothman, Director: Peter Ramsey

Music in an Animated Feature Production

Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, Illumination; Composer: Danny Elfman, Lyricist: Tyler, The Creator
Early Man, Aardman Animations; Composer/Lyricist: Harry Gregson-Williams, Composer/Lyricist: Tom Howe, Composer: Harry Gregson-Williams, Composer: Tom Howe
Incredibles 2, Pixar Animation Studios; Composer: Michael Giacchino
Ralph Breaks The Internet, Walt Disney Animation Studios; Composer: Henry Jackman, Composer: Alan Menken, Lyricist: Phil Johnston, Lyricist: Tom MacDougall, Composer/Lyricist: Dan Reynolds
Smallfoot, Warner Bros. Pictures / Warner Animation Group; Composer: Heitor Pereira, Composer/Lyricist: Karey Kirkpatrick, Composer/Lyricist: Wayne Kirkpatrick

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Best Animated Feature

Early Man
Aardman Animations

Incredibles 2
Pixar Animation Studios

Isle Of Dogs
Fox Searchlight Pictures / Indian Paintbrush / American Empirical Pictures

Ralph Breaks The Internet
Walt Disney Animation Studios

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Sony Pictures Animation

same five i've been saying. gonna stick w/ this.

Smallfoot is dunzo if it couldn't get that nomination.

Tito and the Birds is now in a much better position than it was. But, in my opinion, this is very disappointing for a myriad of other independent/international feature animations; maybe they simply aren't 'independent', and the category is being a stickler for independent productions here. But a nomination would have definitely helped films like Liz and the Blue Bird, Have a Nice Day, etc.

I've never heard of Ce Magnifique Gateau before; I'll have to watch the trailer the first chance I get.

Also, Mirai received a nomination for writing. And Ruben Brandt, Collector received a nomination for editing. Those both stand alongside their independent film nominations.

Isle of Dogs, Fox Searchlight Pictures/Indian Paintbrush/American Empirical Pictures

This wouldn't be a bad set of nominees. Of course, I'm rooting for at least one independent film or anime film to crack the list of top five. I'm rooting for Mirai, I'm rooting for Ruben Brandt. That'll never change. But that, up there, is a really strong list of wide domestic releases. It's a group of five that reminds me of the set of nominees from the 2012/2013 season: Brave, Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, that Pirates film by Aardman, and Wreck-it Ralph. All five films deserving in their own right, nominated at the expense of semi-strong-but-not-strong-enough international films such as From Up On Poppy Hill, The Rabbi's Cat, and Zarafa.

Some year, we'll get another 2015, with four small, diverse nominees standing besides a Pixar giant that would've won regardless. But this year look to be that year.

7 minutes ago, Slambros said:

This wouldn't be a bad set of nominees. Of course, I'm rooting for at least one independent film or anime film to crack the list of top five. I'm rooting for Mirai, I'm rooting for Ruben Brandt. That'll never change. But that, up there, is a really strong list of wide domestic releases. It's a group of five that reminds me of the set of nominees from the 2012/2013 season: Brave, Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, that Pirates film by Aardman, and Wreck-it Ralph. All five films deserving in their own right, nominated at the expense of semi-strong-but-not-strong-enough international films such as From Up On Poppy Hill, The Rabbi's Cat, and Zarafa.

Some year, we'll get another 2015, with four small, diverse nominees standing besides a Pixar giant that would've won regardless. But this year look to be that year.

I don't think ralph 2 and spiderman is small enough, both are potential 200m grosser. 

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't think ralph 2 and spiderman is small enough, both are potential 200m grosser. 

In that part, I was referring to the 2015 set of nominees; Anomalisa, The Boy and the World, Shaun the Sheep, When Marnie Was There. That was a wishful statement because I absolutely know both Ralph 2 and Spider-Man will (or should, in the latter's case) do gangbusters during this holiday season, with both films in strong contention for the win.

I'm just saying that, while it doesn't have to be this year, I certainly want there to be another year of considerably smaller films making up the majority of the nominations, like last year should've been (*glares at Boss Baby and Ferdinand*). 

But, yes, I do think there should be years where the majority or all animated films are ones that had a wide release and did well in their wide release. This is a perfectly acceptable year to have a nomination pool such as that. And, hey, even then, I have two non-Disney films to root for (Isle of Dogs and Spider-Man).

Edited by Slambros

3 minutes ago, Slambros said:

In that part, I was referring to the 2015 set of nominees; Anomalisa, The Boy and the World, Shaun the Sheep, When Marnie Was There. That was a wishful statement because I absolutely know both Ralph 2 and Spider-Man will (or should, in the latter's case) do gangbusters during this holiday season, with both films in strong contention for the win.

I'm just saying that, while it doesn't have to be this year, I certainly want there to be another year of considerably smaller films making up the majority of the nominations, like last year should've been (*glares at Boss Baby and Ferdinand*). 

But, yes, I do think there should be years where the majority or all animated films are ones that had a wide release and did well in their wide release. This is a perfectly acceptable year to have a nomination pool such as that. And, hey, even then, I have two non-Disney films to root for (Isle of Dogs and Spider-Man).

My dream list:

1) Spider-verse

2) Mirai

3) Isle of Dogs

4) Ralph 2

5) Early Man

I wish Oscar will snub Incredible 2 like how they ignore finding dory, thereby confirming the pixar's sequel curse. In this year, Incredible 2 and spider-verse would have to compete for superhero fans in animation field. 

I do also hope for winner from non-Pixey. I am really done with the disney/pixar taking turn of grabbing the trophy.

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

My dream list:

1) Spider-verse

2) Mirai

3) Isle of Dogs

4) Ralph 2

5) Early Man

I wish Oscar will snub Incredible 2 like how they ignore finding dory, thereby confirming the pixar's sequel curse. In this year, Incredible 2 and spider-verse would have to compete for superhero fans in animation field. 

I do also hope for winner from non-Pixey. I am really done with the disney/pixar taking turn of grabbing the trophy.

You know what? I saw Incredibles 2 and I appreciated many of its parts, but I absolutely agree with you. If seen it said elsewhere, but I agree with it; once the new and shiny aspect wore off, the sequel's shortcomings became very apparent. If Monsters University lost it, and if Finding Dory really lost it, then maybe there really can be hope.

And, yeah, the superhero aspect really would cause a collision between that and Spider-Man, which would be an extremely sad occurrence.

I actually say Mirai four days ago. I think it deserves a nomination, and it absolutely has a spot in my dream list (alongside Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms, which has no chance whatsoever). Hopefully, Gkids can pull through, somehow, someway.

Glad that at least someone found the over the top self awareness that's the only thing WAG can do a bit tiring and didn't give TTGTTM best feature.

They did give it writing though so.

Also yay for Star vs. getting two nominations in writing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Glad that at least someone found the over the top self awareness that's the only thing WAG can do a bit tiring and didn't give TTGTTM best feature.

They did give it writing though so.

Also yay for Star vs. getting two nominations in writing.

I was personally happy to see Hilda get nominations in the TV categories as well. That's a very well done show in its own right, probably one of the best that Netflix has offered so far.

Ha ha, Holy shit, MFKZ made it? That is hilarious and awesome. Doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting the Oscar nod, mind, but I'm glad its getting some recognition.

Anyway, from the looks of things, it's probably going to be the 5 in the Best Animated Feature line-up that end up getting the Oscar nods, with Mirai and Ruben Brandt as potential spoilers. Bit of a shame, since I thought Early Man and Isle of Dogs were both really underwhelming, but whatever. The Academy has its hard-on for Stop-Motion so they'll probably both make it in.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Can I say Mirai's oscar chance shot higher, as it received nomination by both golden globe and annie!

Its chances definitely rose very significantly. In the history of the Golden Globes, no foreign/independent film nominated for Animated Feature has ever lost its Oscar bid. The Illusionist, Anomalisa, My Life as a Zucchini, The Breadwinner, Loving Vincent. They all went from Golden Globes to Oscars. This is a strong correlation because of the amount of times the Globes have given nominations to films like Rise of the Guardians and Sing.