rukaio101

Ruk Ranks Every Movie he Saw in 2017- Top 10 Incoming!

26. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

MV5BZTZjYzU2NTktNTdmNi00OTM0LTg5MDgtNGFj

This movie is... a bit awkward to talk about. Not just because it's a movie that a lot of people here are condemning for a large variety of reasons, but because I completely agree with what those people are saying about it. Yeah, this movie is very much a Jurassic World kind of situation where, while I personally enjoyed the movie, I entirely fucking get why other people hate it and I'm not going to defend it on those reasons because I agree it's problematic as all hell. And not in the ways that it's trying to be.

Okay, I mean, sure, if you remove 3B from all kind of current-day political context then it's probably more-or-less fine, an emotional little movie about grief, anger and learning to show kindness to those who you might not necessarily think deserve it. But when you put it in the modern day context of police shootings and brutality and racism and... it doesn't exactly look great. Especially with the character of Dixon who, yes is amusingly portrayed by Sam Rockwell, but gets away with horrendous and racist abuses of power (that can easily be paralleled with a lot of real life examples) with little more than a slap on the wrist and a rather unconvincing character arc. That's... not exactly something to cheer about. Hell, the movie's treatment of black characters in general ain't exactly something to cheer about.

So why, with all that, is this movie so high up on the list?

Well, because... honestly... ignoring the context, I did really kinda enjoy it. Frances McDormand is absolutely fantastic in the main role, playing a mother brimming with grief and such anger against the world that drives her to do questionable things. The deer scene in particular was a real standout, questionable CGI or not. Sam Rockwell's racist cop, while horrendously uncomfortable considering the real world parallels, was still kinda entertaining and Woody Harrelson manages to really make his comparatively small role shine. And there are definite positives to be gleaned from some of the more intentional messages of the film and the like. 

Overall, this isn't exactly a movie I'm going to go to great lengths to defend on this list. There are a lot of shitty things about it and I entirely understand and sympathise anyone who can't overlook them. To be honestly, I'm basically rooting against it for Best Picture if only for many of those same reasons. But, I personally found enough things to like and enough good to it that I'm willing to give it a decent place on this list. 

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Sorry for the wait. Had some stuff I needed to finish before the month was out.

25. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

jumanji-main-2.jpg

So, you may not have heard about this, but apparently this has actually been making a fair amount of money lately? Yeah, weird right? You heard it here first folks. That said, honestly... it kinda deserves it. It really is a very entertaining family blockbuster with a very rewatchable quality. Even as someone who personally liked TLJ more, I entirely get why that movie's legs have comparatively stalled compared to how people keep watching this again and again. Because it is very pleasant and watchable.

Heck, it's especially kinda weird for me to see this be so enjoyed and do so well because I genuinely hated the trailers and the general premise at first. An adaptation of a classic adventure movie being replaced with bunch of teenagers being sucked into a videogame? Yeah, that sounded like a very hard pass for me when I first heard it, The Rock be damned. But when I finally managed to watch the actual film itself (after being delayed like 2/3 weeks by a bunch of stuff), I had to admit it really made it work, in large part thanks to its strong character writing, good humour, excellent acting and chemistry and a nice sense of adventure that very few blockbusters are capable capture nowadays. So kudos on that.

That said, while I'm distinctly not looking forward to this being inevitably milked out into a franchise by Sony, because that company has been fairly shite with its franchises lately, this was still a very fun ride and deserves every cent it made.

(Although seriously, if they announce a Jumanji Cinematic Universe, I'm out.)

• Like 5

24. Marshall

MV5BMjExODQ3OTMzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTg2

Look, before anyone asks, no I was not deliberately putting this list off so I could put this entry in while Black Panther was still in the news. I swear. I'm just lazy and forgetful, is all. 

Seriously though, I'll admit I'm a complete sucker for these sorts of inspiring stories about real-life civil rights figures. I'm also a sucker for courtroom dramas. Combine the two, add Chadwick Boseman/Black Panther playing a totally suave, real-life badass in the form of the titular Thurgood Marshall, a lawyer for the NAACP (who later became the first black judge on the Supreme Court). and you'd better believe I'm going to enjoy it. Sure, it's about as standard a movie as you can get for this genre. Sure it doesn't exactly have much new or interesting to say about race or the like. And sure it's hella awkward that like 50% of the story is focused on the Josh Gad's schluppy white protagonist. But the writing is honestly pretty damn solid, the story is interesting and Chadwick Boseman is cool as hell in the titular role.

So yeah. I liked it. I'm not going to claim it's a revolutionary movie for this sort of genre or that it lives up to same standards of something like 12 Years a Slave or Selma, but as a look into the accomplishments of a lesser known inspiring civil-rights figure, it's still pretty damn good..

• Like 2

23. The Big Sick

MV5BZWM4YzZjOTEtZmU5ZS00ZTRkLWFiNjAtZTEw

Funny. Very very funny. Very very very funny. 

(I'unno, it was like 3am when I wrote this bit and I couldn't really think of all that much to say. It's a good movie, okay?)

• Like 5

22. Captain Underpants

MV5BMjE1MzM2NzgzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODU3

Okay, this one was genuinely a very pleasant surprise. I was actually a pretty big fan of the Captain Underpants books back when I was a kid, but even I wasn’t entirely certain what Dreamworks were smoking when they decided to make a movie about it. Especially, y’know, since it was about 10 years too late to really capitalize on the series. And the trailers, while not terrible, didn’t really do all that much to convince me to see the movie either. Yet when I finally decided to bite the bullet and check it out, I was surprised by a genuinely fun and creative movie that reminded me exactly why I liked the books so much as a kid in the first place.

See, one of the great things they really captured from the book that really helped make the movie in my opinion (aside from, y'know, being really genuinely quite funny) was both the camaraderie/genuine sense of friendship between the two main kids and, even more than that, that weird and wild sense of creativity you often have as a kid. Watching these two friends just putting their heart and soul into their amateurish and scribblings and seeing how much fun they all seemed to have making their comics just brought back memories of my own childhood and the weird and silly characters I drew as a kid (My personal favourites were the Snails in Black. Who were Men in Black but snails. Because that idea was practically mindblowing genius to an 8 year old. (And they were easy to draw))

But even aside from that, there's still plenty of other things to love about Captain Underpants as well. The humour is funny (to me at least), the animation smooth (if a bit basic) and there's just a pervasive sense of childish fun to the whole thing that makes it really enjoyable. I've not seen Boss Baby (and have little-to-no intention of changing that) but I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near as unexpectedly good as this movie was.

Also, it has a theme song by Weird Al Yankovich. Who doesn't love that shit?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21. Wind River

4bfa1be7220d0ba876ca63fa65abff9e.jpg

*sips tea* Aaaah, that's some good tonal whiplash.

Okay, before I start talking about this, I feel I gotta get the elephant out of the room out of the way real quick, because there's something that really bugged me about this film. Specifically, I think it’s really hella awkward that a movie all about the plight and sexual assault/regular assault of Native American Women... has almost no significant Native American female perspectives and is primarily about the male pain involved instead. And I know Taylor Sheridan said somewhere that that was because he didn’t feel he could appropriately write from the female perspective but, fuck it, that’s why you get consultants and shit. Not really an amazing excuse.

That said, I really did think this movie was great. Taylor Sheridan’s previous works have never quite hit that same zeitgeist for me that they have for everyone else, largely because I’m not much of a Neo-Western guy, but something about this movie really just clicked, especially in the second half. It’s a strong meditation on grief and sudden loss just as much as it is a well-needed light on the plight of Native Americans (even if I'd have liked to have seen more meaningful female presence in the cast). Jeremy Renner in particular was just robbed of any Oscar recognition, because he gave one hell of a performance, particularly in his big scene with Olsen. The side cast was good too, including surprise Jon Bernthal, and there were some gorgeous shots of the mountainous scenery.

So yeah, I don't know entirely what it is, but something about this movie just worked for me where Sheridan's previous movies haven't. And it's a real shame that this seems to have been largely forgotten come awards time. Even if, as mentioned, it kinda skimped on the Native American female perspective, it still should definitely be lauded for shining a light on those issues in the first place. Combined with the beautiful cinematography and excellent acting and this really deserved a lot more than it got.

• Like 5

20. Kong: Skull Island

kong_skullisland.jpg

Okay, now the heavier stuff is out of the way, let’s get back to the smashy stuff and open up the Top 20 with one of my favourite smashy movies of the year. Honestly, I’ll admit, Kong: Skull Island is a movie that I was not really expecting to enjoy so much, nor is it a movie I’m going to champion as a piece of highbrow cinema. But sometimes you just want to see giant monsters fuck shit up and in the regard, this movie more than delivers. 

Now, I brought this up a couple of times on my list last year, but I genuinely did enjoy the 2014 Godzilla movie. Sure it did have its flaws, particularly in regards to Aaron-Taylor Johnson doing his best impersonation of a living husk of styrofoam, but I thought it had a good eye for visuals, building up tension and some genuinely fantastic setpieces. Kong: Skull Island, however, is a very different beast and I mean that (mostly) in a good way. It doesn’t bother with the long build-ups and throws you thick into the action very early on, which is honestly kinda refreshing in this era of ‘Wait three hours for the monster to show up because ’tension/anticipation’” movies. Plus it gives the audience what it wants. Giant monsters and lots of them. No holding back like Godzilla did, Skull Island throws monster/setpiece after monster/setpiece and I really enjoyed most of them. Plus, with SLJ throwing sufficient amounts of ham, a cast that wasn’t too distractingly bland and an actually compelling character with John C Reilly, there was a lot to enjoy.

So yeah, as far switch-your-brain-off popcorn movies went, this was easily the best. And I don't think it's any coincidence that the Godzilla Cinematic Universe is probably the one non-Marvel Cinematic Universe I'm actually fairly interesting in seeing more of. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

19. Mutafukaz

cwXE0Jf.jpg?1

I never thought the words ‘I wish the Secret Society of Luchadors got more screentime’ would be a legitimate criticism of a movie this year, but here we are.

Seriously though, this movie was a very unexpected treat. I saw it at the London Film Festival, knew almost nothing about it going in aside from the premise and ended up really enjoying the hell out of it. Basically, it’s like an animated John Carpenter’s ‘They Live’ was set in the Mexico City slums, but with that extra level of inventive craziness that being an animation affords it. 

Seriously, the movie is just a ton of fun. It has great characters, great designs, great humour, great action and fluid animation. It’s a great example of an animated action film leaning towards a more adult market without necessarily being Family Guy or overcompensating with the gore/adult materials to try and 'make up' for being animated. Honestly, I had just so much fun watching the first two thirds of it and I know the audience I saw it with felt the same, judging by how loud the laughter was. And, honestly, this movie could have very easily have made my top 10 if it had managed to stick the landing. Which... unfortunately, it did not.

See, while the first two thirds of this movie are inventive and imaginative and fun and set up loads of great plot dominoes for the final third, said climax is just kinda… meh. I suspect the budget may well have run out because compared to the first two thirds, the final third of this movie was slow, sluggish and focused on the least interesting plot threads, some of which weren’t even really a thing in the first two thirds. Plus it ends up leaving a bunch of stuff unexplained and even has the gall to end on a blatant sequel hook. (Note: I would still be entirely on board for a sequel to this, by the way, I just think it’s kinda cheap).

That said, while I wasn't amazingly fond of the finale, I still entirely recommend this movie. The first two thirds are just so fun and enjoyable that this is an easy recommend to anyone interested in a bit of foreign animation that isn’t just anime or kids fare. The ‘They Live’ comparisons aren’t unearned, this really is fun in a way much like that movie, with some great characters, moments, action, jokes and everything else. So yeah, if you get a chance, go see it.

(But seriously, I do wish the Secret Society of Luchadors got more screentime.)

• Like 2

18. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

34xBL6BXNYFqtHO9zhcgoakS4aP.jpg

You know, there's a lot of times I hear people say on here, in regards to poor critical reception of an anticipated movie, stuff like 'Who cares about the critics? Just go and see it and make up your own mind.' And, while I definitely can see where that sort of logic, it's always been the sort of advice that has rung hollow for me because I tend to find that 90% of the time if critics dislike a certain big release, even if I go in with a 'fuck the critics' reactions, I end up walking out thinking 'Yeah, that really wasn't great, I can see why the critics weren't fond of it.' Usually these sorts of movies do just end up getting panned because they're not very good, not because critics are stuck-up snobs or anything. 

With that said, in regards to this movie, fuck the critics. I thought this was great fun.

Don't get me wrong, Kingsman: The Golden Circle is kind of a stupid movie. I will admit that right off the bad. It's not nearly as narratively tight as the first movie and there are a lot of problems, holes and stuff that really could've used a lot more polishing here and there. But fuck it, it's my kind of stupid movie. A movie that's so tremendously over-the-top, balls-to-the-walls insane and doesn't give a shit who knows it.

Vaughn goes all out with the action, the characters, the world building and the jokes in this one and while there are definitely quite a lot of bits in it don't exactly work (CGI robot dogs? Elton John? Killing off most of the previous cast? Elton fucking John?!!!) the bits that do work just work so well for me that I can't help but love it. The acting is fun all-round, even in small bit parts, the worldbuilding is wild and interesting and enjoyably implausible in places and scenery is chewed like a mofo.

So yeah, you may not agree, but I personally loved the hell out of this movie. I had great fun from near beginning to end and no amount of critical drubbing can take that away from me. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

17. Brawl in Cellblock 99

MV5BMzQ4MjEyNjg4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY1

Saying it now. Anyone who didn’t see this in a packed theatre missed out. There is nothing more hilarious than hearing an entire crowd of people break out into ‘Ooooh’s’ and ‘Eeeeeeh’s’ whenever Vince Vaughn scrapes some guy’s face across the floor.

That said, the gratuitous violence isn’t the only thing to love about this movie. (Although it sure as hell helps). The story is almost a modern-day Dante’s Inferno as Vince Vaughn’s character descends deeper and deeper into the metaphorical hell that is this movie’s fucked up prison system, all in the hopes of reaching Cellblock 99 to save his unborn daughter's life. And I’ll admit, if you had told me before this movie that Vince Vaughn would not just sell the presence of a stoic, tough-as-nails badass, but absolutely blow it out of the water, I… would probably not have cared that much, because much weirder stuff has/will happen. (Seriously, have you seen Black Panther's opening weekened?!) But Vince Vaughn absolutely dominates this role, right from the moment where he dismantles a car with his bare fists, all the way to the tragic but inevitable conclusion. 

The movie itself is directed with a great sense of tension and mood, feeling more and more uncomfortable and tense as Vaughn descends deeper and deeper, only stopping for quick bursts of good ol' ultraviolence. Bone Tomahawks was one of those movies from 2015 that I was kinda disappointed I missed (and still haven't really gotten around to yet) and this movie definitely makes me want to dig it out and finally watch the whole thing.

So yeah, this isn't exactly a movie for the weak of heart or stomach, but it still is a really great movie all round. Plus, seriously, it was so much fun to watch with a crowd. Really. Soooo much fun.

• Like 6

16. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2

guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-imax-poster.jp

Yeah, alright, you all knew I was going to have to get to the Marvel movies eventually. It's not like I've really made much of an effort of hiding that I'm a pretty big fan of them. As this one was as fun as it came. Honestly, when it comes to GOTGV2, my general comments haven't really changed much from when I first watched it (although it's now much more of a solid A/A- in my mind) so I figured I might as well just repost my original thoughts on it.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, rukaio101 said:

Just got back from my screening. Unsurprisingly, I enjoyed it a fair bit. I will say it's not as narratively tight as the first one and there definitely a lot more rougher edges, but it also has a lot of really great moments that more than live up to the first movie's quality. There are flaws, yes, and they're relatively noticeable, but I think the high points more than make up for it. 

One of the things I liked most about the movie was how it managed to give satisfying character arcs and moments to pretty much everyone on the team, especially Nebula and Yondu. One of my bigger problems with Age of Ultron as a sequel was that, due to limited screentime, some of the team either ended up getting sidelined or stuck with lousy plotlines (like Thor or the Hulk/Widow romance). Guardians 2, on the other hand, has a good character moment for pretty much everyone (except probably Groot but it's difficult for him) and nearly each moment really hit home. I've always said that characterisation is probably one of Marvel's biggest strong points and it's clear that James Gunn gets these characters and knows how to use them. As a result, it's little surprise that the characters are probably the best thing about the movie for me.

The visuals were also a strong point. The movie has such a great, psychedelic colour pallet and visual imagination that really sets it apart from most sci-fi films these days. Even when it's doing MoS-style super brawls or large space battles, it's still fantastic and gorgeous to look at. Now, I'm not going to name names here, but it really makes you think that another certain superhero studio should consider adding a little more visual brightness to- Ah, who am I kidding, ZACK SNYDER, PUT SOME ACTUAL COLOUR IN YOUR GODDAMN FILMS! ...Ahem. Anyway, as I was saying, the movie looks great and the visuals really match the light fun attitude it has going for it. Also, I don't know what it is with Marvel and de-aging their characters, but damned if they haven't gotten really good at it. Young Kurt Russell looked great.

Now, I have been hearing a lot of complaints about the movie having no/little story and, while I think that's wrong, I do kinda understand the sentiment because there's not really a solid story for the first third or so. There's no major driving motivation for the Guardians compared to, say, the first movie where they were trying to keep/sell the orb and that's what drove their actions. In this one, however, they're just reactive characters, reacting to what's going on around them for about the first half or so. And that can feel a little meandering and narratively unsatisfying. I don't think it ruins the movie, but it's something to keep in mind. Also, I initially thought Rocket was a bit too jerkass-ish/annoying to begin with in the first third or so, but that ended up having a great payoff, so I'm okay with it.

Also, this is the first Marvel movie where I think the claim 'Too much humour' actually holds some weight. Admittedly, I don't think it's too much humour that's the problem so much as poorly placed humour, but it is noticeable. Don't get me wrong, the movie is funny. Very very funny. There were a lot of moments that had me cackling in my seat. But there are also times when the movie takes a scene or a moment with a relatively serious tone and shoves in a cheap gag that really doesn't feel fitting and takes you out of the moment. Compare to the dance-off in the first movie, where the serious atmosphere and build-up of a Ronan as a no-nonsense antagonist was what actually made the joke so funny, by being a completely unexpected subversion of expectations (while still being completely in character for Quill). Here, they take a serious moment and interrupt it with just cheap gags, with little build up and, rather than working off the serious atmosphere, just undermines it and the joke in the process. (The Pac-Man moment in particular was guilty of this).

That said, I really did like this movie. It was colourful, exciting, hilarious at times, touching at others and never really left me bored throughout its running. Ego was fine as an antagonist. Not exceptional, but he had some really good moments to shine. Yondu was definitely my MVP and had some of the best scenes with Rocket. But overall yeah. It's a movie with clear flaws, but more than enough really great high points to make up for it, I think. Currently wavering towards an A-/B+ but I'll see how it holds up with time/repeat viewings.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

15. The Disaster Artist

the-disaster-artist-poster.jpg

Oh hai tired and overused Room joke.

Honestly, I have to admit, when this movie was announced I wasn’t amazingly thrilled for the idea. Sure, I'm a pretty big connoisseur of famously bad movies (to the point where I've actually seen Plan 9 from Outer Space and Samurai Cop in cinemas, because why the fuck not). And yeah, among said bad movies, I enjoyed the Room plenty and I’m sure there was an interesting story behind the whole thing (although I’ve never read the Disaster Artist book myself), but I was honestly pretty certain that this movie was just going to be an excuse for James Franco to put on a wig and do a funny accent for two hours. But honestly... James Franco’s performance genuinely blew me away here. He was outstanding. It wasn’t just a silly accent with a silly wig, he really managed to incorporate Wiseau’s bizarre speech patterns and movements to an almost frightening degree. Yet he also managed to capture that weird sense of charisma Wiseau had and makes entirely believable as to why Greg Sestero would be interesting in this guy in the first place. It really was one of the best performances of the year... which kinda made it a shame when he soured the whole thing with the sexual assault allegations against him, but I digress.

The rest of the movie was also really entertaining. I enjoy reading stories about behind-the-scenes stuff regarding films, not just the drama and problems but seeing how certain plot/directorial decisions came to be or developed over the course of a shoot is genuinely fascinating to me. Of course, the behind-the-scenes drama is fun as well. I’ve heard a lot of people complain that the movie doesn’t do a great job or fully showing how toxic Wiseau kinda was and fell a bit into the trap of glorifying him a bit and... yeah, I can kinda see where those people are coming from, especially towards the end. Like I said, I've never read the Disaster Artist so I don't know exactly what really happened, but I severely doubt the first screening of The Room went like that. However, the movie doesn't shy away from his assholishness entirely, so I'll give it that.

In conclusion, yeah, this was really a lot of fun, especially if you're familiar with the Room and the culture surrounding it. Sure, there are certainly issues with this movie here and there, but it's still a fascinating look at one of history's great bad movies and the weird-ass character behind it.

• Like 1

14. Paddington 2

Paddington-2-Poster.jpg

Yeah, this movie was just plain sweet and pleasant and adorable and exactly the sort of thing I needed after the year that was 2017. I really don't have much more to say about it than that.

• Like 3

13. Jailbreak

PAY_OFF_640x300_ENG.jpg

Okay, this is probably one of, if not the most obscure movie on my list, but it’s also one that I really want to get more people to hear about. Like Wrath of Silence, it’s a movie I saw at LFF that I had almost no idea what to expect going in, aside from the premise which was basically The Raid but in a prison. Before the movie started we had a short talk from Jean-Paul Ly, one of the film’s stars and stunt choreographers, who told us a bit about the film’s production. It’s a Cambodian Martial Arts movie, possibly the first Cambodian action movie, one that was made on a shoestring budget with a team of extras who, before Jean-Paul arrived, barely knew the slightest thing about martial arts or how to be stuntmen or almost anything else.

And don't get me wrong. The low budget definitely shows. The sets look clearly fairly cheap and the movie reuses them like crazy, (in particular this one prison cell corridor which I swear appears like 20 times). In addition, both the writing and some of the acting is fairly rough and the movie doesn't really manage a proper conclusion, instead finishing with a weird kinda-sorta cliffhanger? So, with all those issues, why is this so high up on the list?

Because the action in this movie is fucking amazing. 

Seriously, I mentioned The Raid and it's an appropriate comparison, because, at least in my opinion, the martial arts in this movie are easily on the same sort of level. After the titular jailbreak gets going, it's almost more-or-less non-stop action and it never fails to stop entertaining, not even for a second. Hell, even the token female cop kicks every bit as much ass as her male counterpart (and gets a really awesome fight near the end with the main protagonist).

And, while I said some of the acting is kinda rough, that's not true across the board. Some of the actors are hilarious in this, especially the villains, led by Madam Butterfly (aka Queen of the 'I am sooooo done with this shit' face) and her legion of leather clad action girls (who to my eternal disappointment never got a proper fight). I fucking loved her so much. So so much. There are also a few comedic actors who got a few genuine laughs from me here and there and added some much needed levity to the occasional scene.

In conclusion though, this is definitely one of the more openly flawed movies to grace the top tiers of my list. But, while it's certainly rough around the edges, it delivers itself with such passion and technique and sheer style that it just makes you want to root for it anyway. So kudos to Cambodia, I hope to see more movies like this in the future and I definitely recommend anyone interested to check it out

• Like 2

12. The Breadwinner

MV5BMWM2MzQ4YTAtMTBkZS00ODA1LWFmNTEtMjEw

Aka, that one token indie film that made it into the Oscar nods but has no chances of winning.

Okay, it's a bit cruel to dismiss it solely like that, because this really is a good movie and one of the only two animated Oscar nominees I actually think is worthy of a nomination. (And yes, the other one is Coco, I'm not even going to bother pretending that that's not the case). The story, apparently based on real events (?), is about a young girl in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan who, after her father is arrested, must disguise herself as a boy so that she can provide for her family (since women aren't allowed to work/do almost anything). And yeah, you can imagine a lot of what comes after that. It's a harrowing look at the mistreatment women face in some countries while not falling too hard into the gratuitous territory. 

As for the main protagonist, she's also great, an inspiring figure working to help her family, but the movie also doesn't forget that she's still a kid, prone to childish actions or moods. While the denial in regards to her father gets a bit irritating, some of the strange friendships she makes along the way are easily some of the more compelling parts of the story, including her tenative friendship with an older taliban fighter, dealing with his own personal losses in the endless war, and her friendship with another girl who dresses up in the same way she does.

One thing I will criticise it for is that the story-within-a-story in the movie felt a bit cliche and wasn't really as interesting or relevant as I thought it was going to be, but that's a minor nitpick in the grand scheme of things. The animation is nice, the characters are fully formed and dimensional and it doesn't feel the need to hold back on humanizing some of its villains, vile as they may seem. Even the biggest asshole in the movie gets a moment that reminds you that he, like most of these sorts of extremist fighters, is basically just a dumb kid caught up in something he doesn't fully comprehend.

So yeah, while I'm usually of the opinion that the Best Animated Oscar is kind of a joke, this is one that was definitely nominated for a good reason. Go see it. I've heard it's apparently on US Netflix at the moment? (I have the UK version, so I don't know for sure). Either way, go see it.

• Like 5

11. Thor Ragnarok

710331-188919.jpg

Do I really need to explain this? Reeeeeally? ...Good, didn't think so.

Seriously though, this movie was just so much fun. Light-hearted, colourful and goofy in the way that only a Taika Waititi movie can be. Sure, structurally it's a bit of a mess, thematically it's a bit undercooked and there were a few emotional moments that really could've used toning down the goof and jokes. Yet, even though my brain recognises the underlying flaws here and there, my heart doesn't really care because, as mentioned, it was just so much fun. And it really doesn't feel like enough blockbusters these days embrace the goofy fun sides of themselves. It's all po-faced, grey blandness, so seeing this movie deliver a nice injection of colourful, goofy ecstasy is very much appreciated. I can't think of a single minute that I was bored, even with the structural/thematic/dramatic problems. And, in the end, isn't that all that really matters when it comes to a fun film? 

That said, it's not just the comedy that made me like the movie so much. A year or two ago I started reading some classic Thor comics (mainly Walt Simonson's run, since I heard that's widely considered the best) and was blown away by how interesting they were compared to the first two movies. I don't dislike either of those Thor movies, even Dark World I thought was fairly fun albeit very very flawed, but the Simonson comics were on another level altogether. They were inventive, dramatic and almost mythic in their storytelling. It visited strange far-off places with characters and mythologies larger than life and forced the protagonists to make difficult choices. Thor Ragnarok is a very funny movie, yes. But it's also, I think, the closest we've gotten to that classic mythic storytelling. The locales, the larger than life characters and dramatic twists and the occasional 'punch the air' Hell Yeah moment. It's not exactly the same and is very distinctly tinged with that Waititi flavour, but it's also much more than just a GOTG ripoff.

So yeah. S'fun. Waititi is awesome. Definitely interested to see how/if they continue the Thor saga from here.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

One thing I will criticise it for is that the story-within-a-story in the movie felt a bit cliche and wasn't really as interesting or relevant as I thought it was going to be, but that's a minor nitpick in the grand scheme of things.

It still provided one of the better third acts from Cartoon Saloon, IMO.

& yes, it's on US Netflix!

Alright, we got a bit of time before the Oscars start, plus I apparently need to show up @Blank Panther, so let's get this Top 10 countdown going!

10. A Silent Voice

5259e3d2d8.jpg?fit=500,705&ssl=1

Okay, this movie is probably best known on this forum for @slambros geeking out over it. And while I'm not exactly on the level of considering it proof of God's work or the divine, he did certainly get one thing right. It is really really damn good. Seriously, I saw this all the way back in March and I knew more or less on the spot walking out that it was almost certainly going to make my Top 10. Quite frankly, I was expecting it to make my Top 5 and it's only due to the unexpectedly high quality of filmmaking this year that it isn't even higher on this list.

Based on an acclaimed manga series (which I admit I've not actually read yet), A Silent Voice covers pretty hefty topics, such as bullying, isolation and disabilities and does so in a way that feels realistic and meaningful. The movie itself is about a boy who, as a kid, led a bullying campaign against a deaf/mute girl in his class (in a frighteningly realistic depiction of serious bullying among children). However, when the girl transfers out, he finds himself blamed and becomes the new target of the bullies. Years later, the boy, now quiet, depressed, socially awkward and regretful of his former actions, runs into the girl again. Drama, emotion and character development ensue.

Like I said though, this is a really really good movie. It's uncomfortable in all the right ways and is frighteningly realistic in its depiction of a lot of real modern issues, such as bullying or social isolation. The characters are complex and not always 100% sympathetic and the emotional twists hit hard. Admittedly the deaf girl seems a bit too 'perfect all-loving protagonist' as first, but even then she's revealed to have a lot of deep-seated issues of her own. However, the movie also has its fair share of heartwarming and happy moments as the characters change and grow and become closer, so it's not all doom and gloom.

In conclusion, yeah, this is really a fantastic movie. It handles the sort of realistic emotionally-charged topics that you don't usually see covered this well in almost any movies, let along animation and it does it with care and a frighteningly genuine voice. There's a good reason I was almost certain this would score high on my list come years end and needless to say, it's no strike on the movie that it didn't score even higher. It's just that this year was really really good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9. The Shape of Water

shape-of-water-poster.jpg

God, did I ever mention how much I love Guillermo del Toro? Because I really love Guillermo del Toro. I dare you to find another director with such passion for his work, who isn't afraid to jump into weird, fantastical genre stories and treats said genres with the same respect and dignity that he does with straightforward dramatic work. Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone are among my favourite films of all time and, while I don't think this quite reaches the same heights, even second-tier Del Toro films reach hiiiiiigh above what most other directors are able to manage.

As for the movie itself, I doubt I need to talk that much about how good it is. After all, it is one of the frontrunners for Best Picture, after all. It's a Cold War fairytale, a love story, an fascinating reflection of the early movie monster flicks like King Kong or Creature from the Black Lagoon. Except where in those, the monster's approaches on the 'pretty white girl' is a thing of terror to be destroyed by macho men with machine guns, here, it's much more of an equal romance, where both are attracted to each other by their own outcast natures. I don't think it's a coincidence that the movie is set in the time period where those sorts of old monsters were being made, nor that there's a big scene involving a black-and-white Hollywood dance number. But maybe I'm just in a reflective mood, having recently watched Lindsay Ellis's excellent video essay on the subject.

As for the cast, Doug Jones continues to be the Andy Serkis of modern monster make-up, Sally Hawkins is obviously great in a challenge mute role (as the second mute protagonist in my Top 10) and Michael Shannon brings a weird sort of depth to a villain that could've (and arguable is) fairly cartoonish. Strickland is a violent, bigoted asshole, yes, but there's a weird insecurity to him played below the surface. It's not enough to make him sympathetic, certainly, but like in The Breadwinner, it's enough to make him feel more rounded than just a cutout.

Overall, as mentioned, I'm really glad to see this movie succeed the way it has. Even if I didn't quite enjoy it to the extent of Del Toro's best works, it's still nice to see him be recognised in these sorts of awards ceremony. Honestly, this is nominated for Best Picture for a good reason and I genuinely hope it wins. (Admittedly though, that's less because it's my favourite of the BP noms and more because the idea of the Academy awarding a movie about a woman fucking the Creature from the Black Lagoon the top prize is just hilarious to me.)

(PS. By the way, what is it this year with people wanting to fuck fish in movies? Between this, Big Fish & Begonia and maybe-sorta implied in Lu Over the Wall, I count three on my list alone. Which is about three more than I expected.)

• Like 6