baumer

Black Panther (2018)

Grade it  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked this.  It's transportive in a way that other superhero movies aren't.  It takes you to another place.  I loved the African elements, especially in the music (not the lame Kendrick songs but the African drums and such).  

My only issues: it could have been tighter/15 mins shorter, the fight scenes could have had more punch and the character of BP could have been stronger.  The actor who plays him is fine, but he's totally overshadowed by the girls.  He feels like a supporting character in his own movie.  Normally I'd love it that the girls steal the show, but it is called BP after all... 

B+ 

Seeing it in 4DX enhanced the experience.

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 11:31 PM, MrPink said:

Michael B. Jordan is highly magnetic in his role, in the sense that some ways he goes too over the top for the moment at hand, but I was drawn to every moment he was on the screen.

B+

I wasn't blown away by his performance.  He has good screen presence, but in terms of performance he felt like he was trying too hard.  He accentuated every word with sometimes unnecessary facial expressions.  Like her was overacting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

I wasn't blown away by his performance.  He has good screen presence, but in terms of performance he felt like he was trying too hard.  He accentuated every word with sometimes unnecessary facial expressions.  Like her was overacting. 

Yeah, I do wish some parts were kept a bit more menacing;

Spoiler

The bits in the airplane field and when he deliver's Klaue's body are good, but the line "I've killed my own brothers and sisters on this continent, just to get to you." could have benefitted from a different delivery. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

i thought he was totally rubbish in this. surprised me considering how much i love his performance in creed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i thought he was totally rubbish in this. surprised me considering how much i love his performance in creed.

Don't you think you're being hyperbolic? You may not have enjoyed his performance, but labelling it totally rubbish is absurd.

MBJ da mvp. Love Coolio's opinions on most things but this is my favorite supporting role in a movie this size in like.....ten years. That last line for Jordan is unbelievable too. Get that Infinity Stone bullshit out of here. That's the kind of writing and bold choices we need more of. Sums up everything good about this movie. 

Also this entire movie rocks outside of like 15 too many minutes of dumb slam bang fight scenes. But that's okay - most movies have like 30 minutes of dumb slam bang fight scenes. Also Martin Freeman's character was totally pointless and kinda weird that the CIA suddenly good?

But everything else, by far the best Marvel ever and one of the best blockbusters in years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I would not go this far.  I think he was dynamic, but I *DO* feel he was going BIG when a lot of other performers were going for more nuanced, subtle performances - Boseman, Guria, Nyong'o, Bassett, Whitaker, and Brown, who was flawless in my opinion.  It's like the villains got the luxury to /go for it/.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also Martin Freeman's character was totally pointless and kinda weird that the CIA suddenly good?

Super weird how loose lipped he was about the CIA destabilizing governments and shit. Like, I know it's an open secret or whatever but dude was dropping that shit all over the place like it didn't matter at all.

I think his role kinda worked thematically tho.

• Like 2

I AM BLOWN AWAY ......................................................BY WHAT A GIANT LOAD OF CR*P  THIS MOVIE WAS.

My english would not let me describe in its fullest how overrated i feel this movie is. 

Don't know where the praise for Michael B Jordan are coming from , i relly like him, but he overreacted , his dialogue was WEAK as hell, and his charachters motivations were laughuable. 

Then you've got mediocre action scenes and at places terrible CGI, Martin Freeman playing a semi-idiot, the white-knuckehead, Serkis was at times good but at times cringy and his death was anticlimactic.....as was the whole movie to be honest. Stuff just happened.... 

The dude from Get Out - i like him, but he was ...not very good and again his motivation to follow Killmonger - a completely unkown man ......laughuable.

And Shuri is my main candidate for most annoying charcter of 2018.

3/10

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 2

36 minutes ago, snitch said:

I AM BLOWN AWAY ......................................................BY WHAT A GIANT LOAD OF CR*P  THIS MOVIE WAS.

My english would not let me describe in its fullest how overrated i feel this movie is. 

Don't know where the praise for Michael B Jordan are coming from , i relly like him, but he overreacted , his dialogue was WEAK as hell, and his charachters motivations were laughuable. 

Then you've got mediocre action scenes and at places terrible CGI, Martin Freeman playing a semi-idiot, the white-knuckehead, Serkis was at times good but at times cringy and his death was anticlimactic.....as was the whole movie to be honest. Stuff just happened.... 

The dude from Get Out - i like him, but he was ...not very good and again his motivation to follow Killmonger - a completely unkown man ......laughuable.

And Shuri is my main candidate for most annoying charcter of 2018.

3/10

Image result for phantom thread gif