baumer

Black Panther (2018)

Grade it  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 2/19/2018 at 2:31 AM, MrPink said:

Clearly the most interesting MCU film thematically, if not a bit imperfect. I wish they could have taken more time to explore the dueling ideologies a bit, but Killmonger steps in seemingly late and doesn't get the ball rolling until after the halfway point of the movie. By the time he has taken over as King, we get one scene where he announces his plan and before we know it, we gotta get T'Challa back for the climax. There's a lot the movie is trying to tackle here that the 2hr 15min feels short for what it's trying to achieve. Give me Nolan length here if we're going to be talking about race, privilege, and geopolitical relations.

Michael B. Jordan is highly magnetic in his role, in the sense that some ways he goes too over the top for the moment at hand, but I was drawn to every moment he was on the screen. Shuri and Okoye are my two MVPs, I loved them. I was really surprised at how well they managed to represent almost everyone among the supporting cast.

B+

Agree with all of this. I really wish that stuff would have been explored more (I think they should have stayed with Eric a lot more - and we should have seen his journey - not been told it). I feel like it would have if it wasn't Disney/Marvel. That was the most interesting element to me and then it immediately rushes into getting ready for the final fight.

Positives

- The world built up and developed by Coogler and co was fantastic. Every part of Wakanda, from the high tech areas to the farmlands, had a life of it's own (personal favorite was the Jabari tribe). 

- Production design, costumes and cinematography were great. 

- Most memorable and well developed supporting characters in the MCU with the women of Wakanda and M'Baku as standouts. 

- Michael B Jordan stole the show as Killmonger even though I wasn't too fond of his over the top plan. Boseman put on a great performance as well.  

- Fight/Action sequences were solid, especially the one vs one fights. 

- Dope soundtrack (Killmonger theme!!!)

Negatives

- Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman were fine but they just ended up as plot devices. (Klaw got killed off too quick after being built up as this elusive criminal who avoided capture for 30 years). 

- Plot was pretty standard and most of the final act is predictable. Only surprise was Klaw getting killed off in the beginning.

- Pacing was an issue. The final act after Killmonger took the throne was completely rushed. I found it very jarring. 

- CGI was really sloppy in places (car chase, final battle) especially when Black Panther was jumping around. 

- Killmonger was developed well but still would of liked to seen more of him. Barely got anytime on the throne because they had to make him the typical villain who wants to rule the world (IMMA BURN IT ALL!!).

Overall it is a great movie and worth watching in IMAX. 8/10 (A-)

On 2/21/2018 at 7:49 AM, snitch said:

I AM BLOWN AWAY ......................................................BY WHAT A GIANT LOAD OF CR*P  THIS MOVIE WAS.

My english would not let me describe in its fullest how overrated i feel this movie is. 

Don't know where the praise for Michael B Jordan are coming from , i relly like him, but he overreacted , his dialogue was WEAK as hell, and his charachters motivations were laughuable. 

Then you've got mediocre action scenes and at places terrible CGI, Martin Freeman playing a semi-idiot, the white-knuckehead, Serkis was at times good but at times cringy and his death was anticlimactic.....as was the whole movie to be honest. Stuff just happened.... 

The dude from Get Out - i like him, but he was ...not very good and again his motivation to follow Killmonger - a completely unkown man ......laughuable.

And Shuri is my main candidate for most annoying charcter of 2018.

3/10

I agree with almost all of this....BUT, I in no way think it was as bad as you.  I have it as a C+ since it was still decent enough to get past its flaws.

I really agree with the bolded part, but it's still early in 2018 so there can be more annoying characters to take the top spot :P   at my showing someone moaned when she was saved at the end.  I know that isn't in the majority of opinions of her, just thought it was funny.  But then again I had a weird crowd for my showing who laughed at the wrong places

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Shuri's "Don't Scare Me, Colonizer" easily got the biggest laugh from the audience.  Both times I saw it.

Her biggest laugh at my showing was: "When you said you would take me to California, I thought you meant Coachella...or Disneyland." :rofl:

• Haha 3

I enjoyed this a lot as a piece of worldbuilding, especially in the one-on-one combat scenes (which, in their combination of background detail and foreground simplicity, come close to achieving genuinely mythical power), but the plotting really didn't hang together for me even while watching it. The prolonged excursion into South Korea is fun before you retroactively realize that the primary storyline/conflict doesn't really start until Killmonger shows up in Wakanda (which is practically halfway into the movie), and his seizing of power and the subsequent conflict don't get anywhere near the time they need. Coogler and his co-writer establish Wakanda's traditions, then use them as a convenient crutch instead of doing the work - the tribes seem pretty unfazed by the fact that they're suddenly about to be led by a genocidal maniac none of them have ever seen before, and afterwards the supporting characters just sorta switch from compliance to rebellion when the story calls for it. For all of the film's attempts to develop complex relationships between those in power in Wakanda, the final battle ends up being about as goofy and weightless as the airport brawl in Civil War.

Another major problem is T'Challa himself, who, as Jay pointed out earlier, doesn't really learn or grow through his entire ordeal, and is a pretty bland figure to boot. Boseman plays him as a basically nice, agreeable dude with quiet, underplayed charisma, and so creates a protagonist who doesn't lead his own movie so much as he sorta just hangs out in it. There's a handful of superhero movies where the hero is outshined by the villain, but this might be the first one in which he barely even makes the top 10 most interesting characters; in terms of presence, he's way behind both main antagonists (MBJ has been rightfully praised, but I'd also like to throw kudos to Serkis, who fully matches him in unapologetic, take-no-prisoners swagger department), four terrific, distinct women, and even side players like Kaluuya and Whitaker. A gutsier movie, one more committed to the themes this one purports to tackle, would either have him face Killmonger within the first 30 minutes and have the story play out from there, or, y'know, go all the way and actually make Killmonger himself the rightful protagonist. But Marvel gonna Marvel.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

The prolonged excursion into South Korea is fun before you retroactively realize that the primary storyline/conflict doesn't really start until Killmonger shows up in Wakanda (which is practically halfway into the movie), and his seizing of power and the subsequent conflict don't get anywhere near the time they need. Coogler and his co-writer establish Wakanda's traditions, then use them as a convenient crutch instead of doing the work - the tribes seem pretty unfazed by the fact that they're suddenly about to be led by a genocidal maniac none of them have ever seen before, and afterwards the supporting characters just sorta switch from compliance to rebellion when the story calls for it. For all of the film's attempts to develop complex relationships between those in power in Wakanda, the final battle ends up being about as goofy and weightless as the airport brawl in Civil War.

Another major problem is T'Challa himself, who, as Jay pointed out earlier, doesn't really learn or grow through his entire ordeal, and is a pretty bland figure to boot.

A gutsier movie, one more committed to the themes this one purports to tackle, would either have him face Killmonger within the first 30 minutes and have the story play out from there, or, y'know, go all the way and actually make Killmonger himself the rightful protagonist. But Marvel gonna Marvel.

Pretty much my review if I had written one and if I was as good with words as you are.

• Like 2

Saw this a few days ago. Overall I liked it. I'm not a big Marvel fan or know much, but it was an entertaining movie and to me much different than previous Marvel films. It wasn't too overly funny which I usually find Marvel over does it. I actually felt at times the film did a good job hitting you with the emotional strings, I actually felt really bad for the antagonist in this. It's rare in a movie where a film actually makes the antagonist in the right (so to speak) vs. the hero. Speaking of the hero, I liked his journey throughout the movie, believing in what his ancestors believed (aka, helping your own people) into eventually growing into his own beliefs (helping other people) from mistakes. 

Overall it's a pretty solid film. I wouldn't rant about it being a masterpiece like some, but it's a solid hero flick that was done up very well and unique. I'd give it a solid B, 7.5/10.

• Like 1

The movie did try to make him grow or change, by having him reject his ancestors ways. But that doesn't hold up since they were already doing outreach missions in civil war :/ so yeah essentially he is just another king, hopefully he faces tough decisions in the next movie.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2018 at 3:10 PM, captainwondyful said:

Shuri's "Don't Scare Me, Colonizer" easily got the biggest laugh from the audience.  Both times I saw it.

For me it was the 'sneakers' joke. In England we love a terrible dad joke 

On 26/02/2018 at 3:01 PM, Jake Gittes said:

I enjoyed this a lot as a piece of worldbuilding, especially in the one-on-one combat scenes (which, in their combination of background detail and foreground simplicity, come close to achieving genuinely mythical power), but the plotting really didn't hang together for me even while watching it. The prolonged excursion into South Korea is fun before you retroactively realize that the primary storyline/conflict doesn't really start until Killmonger shows up in Wakanda (which is practically halfway into the movie), and his seizing of power and the subsequent conflict don't get anywhere near the time they need. Coogler and his co-writer establish Wakanda's traditions, then use them as a convenient crutch instead of doing the work - the tribes seem pretty unfazed by the fact that they're suddenly about to be led by a genocidal maniac none of them have ever seen before, and afterwards the supporting characters just sorta switch from compliance to rebellion when the story calls for it. For all of the film's attempts to develop complex relationships between those in power in Wakanda, the final battle ends up being about as goofy and weightless as the airport brawl in Civil War.

Another major problem is T'Challa himself, who, as Jay pointed out earlier, doesn't really learn or grow through his entire ordeal, and is a pretty bland figure to boot. Boseman plays him as a basically nice, agreeable dude with quiet, underplayed charisma, and so creates a protagonist who doesn't lead his own movie so much as he sorta just hangs out in it. There's a handful of superhero movies where the hero is outshined by the villain, but this might be the first one in which he barely even makes the top 10 most interesting characters; in terms of presence, he's way behind both main antagonists (MBJ has been rightfully praised, but I'd also like to throw kudos to Serkis, who fully matches him in unapologetic, take-no-prisoners swagger department), four terrific, distinct women, and even side players like Kaluuya and Whitaker. A gutsier movie, one more committed to the themes this one purports to tackle, would either have him face Killmonger within the first 30 minutes and have the story play out from there, or, y'know, go all the way and actually make Killmonger himself the rightful protagonist. But Marvel gonna Marvel.

Agree with this except your criticsim of the airport brawl in Civil War. What i loved about that scene is it wasn't the epic showdown of the movie. Marvel got to have light hearted fun with their characters and still finish the movie with a serious showdown with real motives, they essentially managed to have their cake and eat it too successfully.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 4:34 PM, The Stingray said:

The most overhyped movie I have seen in a long-ass time.

This I agree with (via the media). Maybe I'm just getting older but this was just another MCU film for me. I wouldn't go see it again and I've already forgotten large portions of it.

It's so by the numbers. I hope Infinity War does not play it this safe. All of the last MCU movies really have. 

Like comparing it to Annihilation, I didn't want to immediately go online and discuss it or rewatch it.

With this it was just eh, that was pretty fun for 2 hours! I had about as much fun watching the latest Jumanji which was a lot better than I expected.

My feelings towards this are very similar to Jay of RLM. It could have been so much more.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1