Eric Atreides

The Kitchen l August 9, 2019 | New Line l Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish star l Based on the Vertigo comic book series

15 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Great cast. Between this and CYEFM? We’re witnessing Melissa’s road to the acclamation.

I still think it’s pretty shocking that no director outside of Paul Feig could explore her amazing comical timing. 

It’s her fault sadly for continuing to work with her husband. 

Life of the Party is hilarious btw. 

I read the comic recently. It’s very brutal in its depiction of violence and one of the roles in it is a perfect Oscars type role of the initially meek woman who becomes the most feared gang leader. Whoever plays that role definitely has a shot at Best Supporting nomination provided it isn’t changed too much from the book.

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Great cast. Between this and CYEFM? We’re witnessing Melissa’s road to the acclamation.

I still think it’s pretty shocking that no director outside of Paul Feig could explore her amazing comical timing. 

Sadly, I think part of the reason is that McCarthy doesn't fit into the conventionally attractive model that just about every other A-List actress falls into. Granted, her being on that Mike and Molly show after she hit it big probably complicated her schedule, and she's probably not interested in doing that many movies. But considering Bridesmaids was more popular than Girls Trip, and McCarthy had way more buzz for her performance than Haddish, the fact that McCarthy's only done movies with people she's already good friends with (Feig, Heller) or her husband, while PTA stated he wanted to work with Haddish just months after Girls Trip came out kinda says a lot.

20 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Sadly, I think part of the reason is that McCarthy doesn't fit into the conventionally attractive model that just about every other A-List actress falls into. Granted, her being on that Mike and Molly show after she hit it big probably complicated her schedule, and she's probably not interested in doing that many movies. But considering Bridesmaids was more popular than Girls Trip, and McCarthy had way more buzz for her performance than Haddish, the fact that McCarthy's only done movies with people she's already good friends with (Feig, Heller) or her husband, while PTA stated he wanted to work with Haddish just months after Girls Trip came out kinda says a lot.

I find it extremely hard to believe when we think about the amount of money that her movies used to make. Why would any director refuse to work with her, when she was grossing more than your average 'A- list stars'? It seems more like a case where she choose to work with people that she has good relationships, it also helps that her (and her husband) made a ton of cash being executive producers on these movies they made, certainly much more than she would do if she worked with another director. It's all about bringing money for the family. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m looking forward to this. August seems like a good release date for it too.

Great cast. 

I wouldn’t call Melissa a fading star, she was nominated for a leading actress Oscar literally weeks ago. 

Melissa is a good actress and she obviously wont find it hard to find work, but comercially wise yes she's been fading sine 2016. She's also very US driven and has no pull overseas

8/24/18 The Happytime Murders STX $20,706,452 3,256 $9,532,425 3,256 13
5/11/18 Life of the Party WB (NL) $53,059,911 3,656 $17,886,075 3,656 10
7/15/16 Ghostbusters (2016) Sony $128,350,574 3,963 $46,018,755 3,963 4
4/8/16 The Boss Uni. $63,285,885 3,495 $23,586,645 3,480 9
6/5/15 Spy Fox $110,825,712 3,715 $29,085,719 3,711 6
10/10/14 St. Vincent Wein. $44,137,712 2,552 $109,878 4 11
7/2/14 Tammy WB (NL) $84,525,432 3,465 $21,577,049 3,465 7
6/28/13 The Heat Fox $159,582,188 3,184 $39,115,043 3,181 2
5/23/13 The Hangover Part III WB $112,200,072 3,565 $41,671,198 3,555 5
2/8/13 Identity Thief Uni. $134,506,920 3,230 $34,551,025 3,141 3

5/13/11 Bridesmaids Uni. $169,106,725 2,958 $26,247,410 2,918 1
Edited by TombRaider

I hope we get a trailer for this soon, it opens in 3 months. 

It does have a great lineup of actresses. I’m excited to see what the film looks like

Also, if it opens well, it could have good legs looking at the films releasing in the weeks after it. 

47 Metres Down 2 the week after, a cartoon the following week, then a Gerard Butler film followed by another cartoon. 

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I hope we get a trailer for this soon, it opens in 3 months. 

It does have a great lineup of actresses. I’m excited to see what the film looks like

Also, if it opens well, it could have good legs looking at the films releasing in the weeks after it. 

47 Metres Down 2 the week after, a cartoon the following week, then a Gerard Butler film followed by another cartoon. 

Has some good award chances too like A History of Violence and Road to Perdition (all based on DC/Vertigo comics).

Haddish is at risk of over exposure if she’s not careful, though I understand the urgency  of taking advantage of the opportunities while the iron is hot. Especially for minority actors. 

It’s a balancing act.