Eric Atreides

The Kitchen l August 9, 2019 | New Line l Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish star l Based on the Vertigo comic book series

On 8/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, The GOAT said:

Why couldn't they just name this movie, "Hell's Kitchen"?

The Kitchen is more edgy and cool I guess?? Kind of like the nick names that some sports arenas have. No idea.

By the way I'll now be seeing this on Tuesday so I'll share my thoughts then. I was supposed to see it yesterday but couldn't make it out to Kamloops (no cinemas in this little town I'm in).

Edited by JB33

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The Kitchen is more edgy and cool I guess?? Kind of like the nick names that some sports arenas have. No idea.

By the way I'll now be seeing this on Tuesday so I'll share my thoughts then. I was supposed to see it yesterday but couldn't make it out to Kamloops (no cinemas in this little town I'm in).

No one believes that. Not even the producers.

Pretty much bombed at the box office, even given it's modest budget.

This was the  equivalent of dropping a couple of bucks on a quarter slot maching..nice if you win but no great loss if you lose. Will not impact the DC film schedule at all, except to kill any idea of a sequel.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:30 AM, lorddemaxus said:

I think that Scary Stories will open to that number next weekend. This seems to at least have a bit more hype than that movie and this should be a relatively walkup heavy considering the target audience.

Boy, were you  wrong....

Scary Stories opened #2 at 20 Million Dollars, and Kitchen at around Six Million dollars.

And IMHO the hype for Stories was much bigger.

Edited by dudalb

I keep on hoping that Warners will take a chance on Vertigo's "Astro City" comics, but after this flopping I am not holding my breath. I think Warners wll think the money is better spent on something in the standard DC Universe.

And Astro City would cost a lot to do right, a lot more then the 38 Million Warners blew on "The Kitchen".

Too bad. Properly done, "Astro City" would be amazing. It's a take on Superheros that is for once really original, not another recycling of

"The Watchmen".  claming to be "Original".

Edited by dudalb

On 8/1/2019 at 10:25 PM, a2k said:

looks like under-50 dom unless wom is great wait is this based of a comic book ... 50 ow incoming :lol:

Under 15 million?  Possible?

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Under 15 million?  Possible?

Very likely imo. Needs 2.7x+ for 15m. Don't think it can get there as it will shed theatres fast.

Some other under-10m openers in recent times with a notable cast:

The Circle 2.28x (20.5/9)

mother! 2.37x (17.8/7.5)

The Happytime Murders 2.18x (20.7/9.5)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, baumer said:

The trailers were horrible and made the film look like a silly waste of time.  And the audiences stayed away, not surprisingly.

Which might be why Warners basically dumped the film on a crowded weekend, rather then waste a valuable release date on it.

Saw this yesterday. I don't know, it's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. I enjoyed the 3 leads as I thought I would - Melissa McCarthy the most - and I was engaged in the concept/story. Nothing earth-shattering, but a solid movie.

This had the 2nd worst PTA ($804) in the top 20 last weekend after Brian Banks ($723), dropping 60.0% with no theatre losses. Yikes. As I've said many times, I sure miscalculated this one. Thought it would be a small hit this month.