A Marvel Fanboy

The Fox Thread

But WB is #2 for the year (so far). How is that disappointing?

Number of releases matters, too. WB has a ton of films out. And while Lego and Godzilla are pretty stellar, they've also got Blended, Transcendence, and Winter's Tale.

Fox has routinely came in at number 5 or 6 for the past few years, and now that theyre #1, you ask whats wrong with them?

Yep. Remember how, before the summer, their slate was touted as being the strongest. And, even with HTTYD2 under expectations, that seems to be true. Apes is looking like a winner in terms of quality, and BO should at least be on par with the first. Fox is sitting pretty right now.

Alright, clearly people are either purposefully misunderstanding my post, or well, missing the point.

I think this downer of summer has caused a lot of false optimism, but there's always room for realism.

First of all, look at predictions in your BSG. Overpredictions abound, so if there's any revisionism, it's not coming from me.

Second, people need to understand the word context.

So, they're leading the year, so what? They had X-Men, three CGI films from major animated studios and the hottest book in the last 8 months or something. And that's the bloody point. Look at the actual numbers, all three of the animated movies underperformed. DOFP is going under majority predictions and I think it's a stupid argument to say "Fault made 12x its budget, $50m cancer drama OW". I wasn't here to know what expectations were on here, but Fault had the presales, the fanbase, the hype, the BOOK. It's not simply a cancer drama movie. That's such a stupid statement, whoever said it just now. In the same vein, just because a PA movie cost nothing to make, doesn't mean it cannot disappoint, is that a foreign concept here? Expectations are real. If Obama was leading the polls by 90% to 10% all the way to Election's eve, but lost in the end 30-70, would you simply say, he did great for a black guy?

Take a look at Harry Potter or Twilight's first entries. They got other people who hadn't read the book to also come in. I could easily trivialize and say, "a British fantasy about boarding school" or "tweener vampire romance" and make it sound amazing, but the fact is they were based on books that were phenomenons, so CONTEXT matters. Jesus. The difference is that they got other people in. Could Fox have done so? Yes, I believe they could have but they rested on their laurels, so YES, OF COURSE, Fault is doing very well relative to budget and for what it's about, but add in CONTEXT and it could have done more.

DOFP was coming off the tired XM franchise, but lots of people liked XMFC, even if I was not one of them, but the marketing was awful. Sure there's a "ceiling" for XM movies, but DOFPs gross is not that ceiling.

Praising Fox that "they are good movies" is another stupid argument. What about Rio 2? The Other Woman? The re-edited Son of God? It's down to the filmmakers, yeah, Fox greenlit the scripts, and should have praise in not noting it to death, like say, how they were before, or Disney, or we all know what examples, but WB didn't interfere with Transcendence or Universal with A Million Ways and they turned out terrible. It's all give and take. It's not down to science or formula, or everyone would be making super movies.

And lastly, this is domestic, obviously. Sometimes studios have rights to other studios movies overseas.

So, really, comments like :

Fox has routinely came in at number 5 or 6 for the past few years, and now that theyre #1, you ask whats wrong with them?

are really stupid. Missing the point, straw man argument, arrogance, why don't you read the post first?

• Like 1

How about say my name? I read your op and it was dumb, but i felt the need to respond, like everyone else. You call out my comment, when everyone else has said the same exact thing. The movies are doing fine, people just over-predicted everything, which makes it look more disappointing than it really is. My comment still stands.

• Like 1

1) DOFP could have been bigger if Fox marketed it correctly but it still brought life back to a dead franchise.2) Fault relied solely on the online hype from the built in fanbase and they didn't market it at all to help expand that base. Sure it's still a fantastic success, it practically covered the budget on opening day, but it's hard not to believe that had Fox not been lazy with the marketing that it could have been bigger.3) Httyd2 is another case where Fox wanted to rely on built in fanbases to carry the movie and not market it themselves. It had everything going for it to be the movie of the summer, but there was no marketing push given at all. The sad thing here is Fault and DOFP had large fanbases to help make them successes despite bad marketing efforts, Httyd2 didn't really have a fanbase to drive it to success with no marketing.4) I don't know about Dawn but given Fox did a terrible job marketing so far it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Id say it's in a position for guaranteed success, but I thought the same for httyd2

This is an example of a proper intelligent post.

I don't buy that at all. They opened a cancer drama to almost $50m.

Yeah, why are people talking about Fault like it underperformed expectations? This film did fantastic. How much were people expecting? And how would you jack those numbers up more? Make cancer sparkle?

I already made my points, but these are the perfect examples. It's not just a cancer drama. Should I praise Transformers for doing well because it's an 80s (or whatever decade) cartoon about shapeshifting robots? Should I say Spider Man did well because it's about a guy who gets bit by a spider tries to fight crime?

Cancer sparkle. Yup, great addition wise ass. Good for you, got the likes, anything to add to the discussion? No.

• Like 1

So, really, comments like :

are really stupid. 

No, this thread is stupid.

• Like 1

X-Men Apocalypse

Independence Day: Resurgence

Mike and Dave

Ice Age 5

Just think, the biggest summer movie in this lineup will likely be Ice Age 4 (although ID4 2 might come close...the first was the first global blockbuster after all)

Edited by lilmac