A Marvel Fanboy

The Fox Thread

They had such an explosive line-up.

DOFP-Fault-Dragon 2-Apes

all are looking to be certified fresh but;

despite late legs, there has a feeling of coulda done more with DOFP.

Fault has burnt out much quicker than expected so no expansion from fanbase.

Dragon 2, the less said the better.

and the verdict on Apes is forthcoming.

Did they think that everything would sort themselves out?

Were they lazy?

I thought they were one of the supposed best at marketing? I guess not. It's been pretty bad for DOFP and Dragon and some people say Apes as well.

• Like 1

I dunno, I think Xmen and Fault are resounding successes. I'm not sure it's so obvious they could've done much better. I think Fault was always gonna be mega frontloaded.Dragon 2...yes, I agree there. Marketing has to be part of that equation.Well see on Apes. The posters are cool at least.

• Like 1

Lol?

1.) DOFP is doing right around what was expected domestically and it exploded past expectations OS.

2.) Fault is a frontloaded as hell fangirl property like Twilight but its still a huge hit for the studio.

3.) Dragon 2?  Yes, that could've done better but they waited too long for the sequel.  I'm sure they're happy with the reviews though.

4.) We'll see what happens with Apes commercially and critically.

5.) Dumb thread.

• Like 1

1) DOFP could have been bigger if Fox marketed it correctly but it still brought life back to a dead franchise.2) Fault relied solely on the online hype from the built in fanbase and they didn't market it at all to help expand that base. Sure it's still a fantastic success, it practically covered the budget on opening day, but it's hard not to believe that had Fox not been lazy with the marketing that it could have been bigger.3) Httyd2 is another case where Fox wanted to rely on built in fanbases to carry the movie and not market it themselves. It had everything going for it to be the movie of the summer, but there was no marketing push given at all. The sad thing here is Fault and DOFP had large fanbases to help make them successes despite bad marketing efforts, Httyd2 didn't really have a fanbase to drive it to success with no marketing.4) I don't know about Dawn but given Fox did a terrible job marketing so far it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Id say it's in a position for guaranteed success, but I thought the same for httyd2

• Like 1

I don't really think you can fault Fox for DOFP's marketing - it did what it needed to do - what you can do is fault them for the shitty quality of the the last few flicks. And, it has already passed my expectations all the way around and IS a FANTASTIC film to boot.

Fault - again, terrible logic if you expected it to become a twilight level blockbuster in the middle of summer. Its doing great for the second weekend drop.

Dragon - well, can't explain that one

Apes - jury will decide

In before the close

• Like 1

I don't buy that at all. They opened a cancer drama to almost $50m.

Yeah, why are people talking about Fault like it underperformed expectations? This film did fantastic. How much were people expecting? And how would you jack those numbers up more? Make cancer sparkle?
  • Like 5

I have a feeling Apes 2 will be Dragon 2 all over again at slightly bigger numbers. It will have great reviews, but won't increase all that much from Apes 1.

Not increasing much from Apes 1 will be great for Dawn.For it to Dragon 2, it'll need to do a good bit less than Apes 1, like 130m or so.

What? They are having a Great summer.

Yeah, and with regards to Dragon...you have to consider...they're just the distributor. They make substantially less money off that film no matter how it does. There may be some "I don't care that much cause it ain't mine" going on there.
  • Like 3

Yeah, and with regards to Dragon...you have to consider...they're just the distributor. They make substantially less money off that film no matter how it does. There may be some "I don't care that much cause it ain't mine" going on there.

Plus its not like the movie isnt a money maker. X-men was huge, Fault was huge. Apes is pretty much locked to do 500m WW too. Plus they have NATM 3 and Exodus this winter. They have a strong slate.

• Like 1

Plus its not like the movie isnt a money maker. X-men was huge, Fault was huge. Apes is pretty much locked to do 500m WW too. Plus they have NATM 3 and Exodus this winter. They have a strong slate.

Yeah, Fox is having a good year.There's a reason Foxs stock didn't take a big dive after Dragons opening.
  • Like 4