WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Top 20 (and Bottom 10!) Movies of 2017

#2. mother!

Mother!2017.jpg

"MURDERERS! MURDERER! It's time to get the FUCK out of my house!"

Well........ what can I say about mother! that I haven't said already? Darren Aronofsky has crafted a masterpiece with this one. It's a tale of love, devotion, and the downright horrors that come with them. Jennifer Lawrence gives the best performance of 2017 in here. mother! is unforgettable. mother! is heartbreaking. mother! is horrifying. mother! is mother!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

#1. Phantom Thread

Phantom_Thread.png

"For the hungry boy, my name is Alma."

Phantom Thread is another movie about love and devotion that is just as fucked up. In my opinion, this is Paul Thomas Anderson's best movie to date with nothing else coming close. The relationship between Reynolds and Alma is one of the most fascinating to ever grace the screen. Both are constantly dominating each other while also beckoning to their desires, providing a gripping dynamic. Daniel Day-Lewis may look normal compared to his last few roles, but make no mistake; there is no trace of him in Reynolds Woodcock. Phantom Thread proves why he is one of the greatest actors of all time, and he will be sorely missed. Vicky Krieps is also amazing in here, and I'm glad she's already getting blockbuster roles. While I am talking about the cast, it would be criminal not to bring up Lesley Manville as Cyril, who is fantastic in a very subtle role. Paul Thomas Anderson knows his craft and is not afraid to show his skills off by also being the director of photography. The cinematography in this film very well may be the best of the year, and I want to see him tackle it again. The cinematography, costumes, and production design are all gorgeous and make the film feel like it was taken straight out of the 1950s; I cannot imagine what this was like in 70mm. Finally, Jonny Greenwood's score is intoxicating with breathtaking pieces. Phantom Thread has so many ideas that fester in your mind after watching it that it begs to be rewatched over and over again, and I cannot wait to see this again when it hits Blu-Ray. Phantom Thread is the best film of 2017.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Here is the final list:

1. Phantom Thread

2. mother!

3. The Shape of Water

4. The Post

5. Get Out

6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

7. The Big Sick

8. Okja

9. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle