Maxmoser3

Biggest bomb of 2018

What will be the biggest bomb of 2018?   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest box office bomb 2018?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/22/2018 at 05:00 AM

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Transformers 13: Pacific Shit. I don't care if it makes a killing in China since studios don't see much money from there. Everything about it looks so awful and embarrassing so there's no reason to do well in markets where studios actually make money.

Pacific Rim, Ready Player One, and Mortal Engines should replace WiT, Skyscraper, and Tomb Raider on this poll. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Ready Player One? Nah, Tomb Raider and WIT are likelier to fail than that.

I'd bet RPO does 250-300 WW. I'm sure it cost at least 150m, if not closer to 200. Tomb Raider only cost 80m and at least 200m WW should be locked. WiT could be a bit of a bomb if Disney went crazy on the budget and it cost 200m or something, which is possible since it's them. But I think it makes around 400 WW. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd bet RPO does 250-300 WW. I'm sure it cost at least 150m, if not closer to 200. Tomb Raider only cost 80m and at least 200m WW should be locked. WiT could be a bit of a bomb if Disney went crazy on the budget and it cost 200m or something, which is possible since it's them. But I think it makes around 400 WW. 

Why would WIT make 400? Tomorrowland only cracked 200M, John Carter and Lone Ranger under 300M, The BFG sub-200. Don't see how Wrinkle would do so much more than those, unless it breaks out big time DOM, which... well, it'd take excellent wom for that to happen. And even then, I don't know.

RPO should do around 350-400M WW, but the novel is a very popular bestseller and I think it has enough appeal to push to higher numbers w/good wom.

Tomb Raider only cost 80M? Hmm, good on WB for greenlighting a pretty decent budget for that.

If you're defining bomb by the film that loses the most money for the studio, then Wrinkle in Time. But films like Pacific Rim and Meg could gross less in the US but they will recover more costs internationally. Also depends on the budget. Not sure why Annihilation is on there. Equally, Tomb Raider will do worse than Wrinkle in Time but probably cost less.

Mortal Engines and Ready Player One like said above should also be on there with Pacific Rim.

Also why's Skyscraper on here? Isn't that a surefire hit from the Johnson?

No Solo?  Y'all are slipping. :sadno:

---

Seriously though, looking at the list provided, I think it is a three way race between Mowgli, Venom, and The Meg.

Mowgli has a production history that would make Solo go "Damn, dude, that's rough".  Venom already has bad vibes after the Venom-less teaser (seriously, they couldn't wait a bit until at least some fx was ready?).  And The Meg goes without saying.

Of those three, Venom probably has the best chance for success, so I'll eliminate that.  The Meg looks horrific, but I don't want to bet against sharks.  And Mowgli has to deal with The Jungle Book still fresh in people's minds.

Can't I vote for both of them? :lol:

Gun to my head, I probably vote for The Meg simply because of the budget.  But, I dunno, I think of Not That Jungle Book But This One and I think "BOMBS AWAY!!!!!"

Yeah.  Think it's a tie. :P

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Annihilation will be hard to judge since it’s been put to Netflix internationally. So it’s probably pointless putting it on the list. It could obviously still bomb in the US. 

Alita, Pacific Rim, Mowgli, Bohemian Rhapsody, Mortal Engines, Robin Hood, Scarface (?) all seem like films no one wants to see. 

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Annihilation can't be a bomb since OS was sold to Netflix, so it won't lose much (or any) money.

I agree that Ready Player One should be on the list, and it would be my pick.

Definitely. As I said in the movie's thread yesterday, I can't decide if it looks like a hit or a bomb (I would lean towards "bomb" were it not for Spielberg's presence).

Wrinkle in Time doesn't cost that much and early tracking is still fairly high. I don't see it failing.

Venom would have to be Fant4stic bad to really bomb.

Mowgli has a shit release date and will definitely suffer from comparisons to the Disney movie but I'll wait for a trailer.

Pacific Rim should do well overseas if nothing else.

Skyscraper could do San Andreas numbers tbh. The Rock is almost unstoppable RN.

Now something like Battle Angel Alita or Meg screams bombs away to me at this stage.

• Like 1