filmlover

Beautiful Boy | Amazon Studios | Steve Carell, Timothee Chalamet | 10/12/2018

Hollywood Reporter really didn't like this but reviews have been solid otherwise and the two actors (especially Timmy T) are being praised, of course. Chalamet might get a lone Supporting Actor nom considering how dire that category is but that's about as far as it's going; don't think Best Actor is dead enough for Carell to get in for a film that clearly won't be much of a factor in the race.

I think it's significant to say:

I've had NBC on tonight, and a commercial for Beautiful Boy played at least twice; once during The Voice, and once during This Is Us. It seems as if Amazon knows that the audience for the sentimental shows that are popular on NBC would be interested in a film like Beautiful Boy, and that the distributor was able to act on the relationship with Dan Fogelman established by Life Itself to secure the TV spot's inclusion.

This is something I caught that certainly can't hurt box office potential. It may also be a sign that Amazon could be planning to expand the film's release over time.

Just now, Slambros said:

I've had NBC on tonight, and a commercial for Beautiful Boy played at least twice; once during The Voice, and once during This Is Us. It seems as if Amazon knows that the audience for the sentimental shows that are popular on NBC would be interested in a film like Beautiful Boy, and that the distributor was able to act on the relationship with Dan Fogelman established by Life Itself to secure the TV spot's inclusion.

This is something I caught that certainly can't hurt box office potential. It may also be a sign that Amazon could be planning to expand the film's release over time.

It's set to open here and a bunch of other places on October 19 so I imagine it's gonna get a wide-ish release on that date. Probably for the best since it's not looking to be much of an awards contender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's set to open here and a bunch of other places on October 19 so I imagine it's gonna get a wide-ish release on that date. Probably for the best since it's not looking to be much of an awards contender.

Yeah. They might as well push it into a wider release as soon as possible; many Oscar candidates are going to be nipping at its heels if they wait too long.

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I've been getting Internet ads stating "NY/LA October 12, Select Theaters October 19"

Seems like a slow rollout through October and November

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I've been getting Internet ads stating "NY/LA October 12, Select Theaters October 19"

Seems like a slow rollout through October and November

Given Amazon's previous expansions so far, it seems to safe to say that is about where it'll see its most significant expansion. Probably something like when The Lost City of Z went from 4 theaters to 600+ the following week.