Jake Gittes

The Lighthouse | Robert Eggers' follow-up to The Witch | Awesome Analog Black & White FILM Technology | Willem Dafoe, Robert Pattinson | October 18, 2019

12 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I have no idea what the f I just watched.

Having sucked it up and done the 2:20 round trip to the nearest theater it was at, all I can say is that you took the words right out of my mouth.

I did enjoy the hell out of it, and the crowd (about 20-25 people in a Saturday matinee showing) was smiling and chuckling walking out, so that’s good. I think...

10 hours ago, JB33 said:

For those who've seen it, how does it compare to The Witch?

Personally I liked The Witch better, just because it’s a more conventionally structured story. The Lighthouse is more of a succession of increasingly bugnuts events. It shouldn’t work, but the acting, sets, direction, cinematography, soundtrack, everything is just so good you end up not caring that there isn’t much in the way of narrative.

Well, I gotta say, I was loving it and thought it was great.....but it kept going a little too long for my blood. It's just too much lunacy and sensory overload that at a point I got kind of numb to the whole experience. Still, I like and admire it quite a bit.

So this is primed to go wide next weekend, right? It's already showing in 586 theatres and raked in a little over $3M this weekend ($5,171 PTA). I'm thinking we'll see it expand to between 800 and 900 theatres on November 1.

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

So this is primed to go wide next weekend, right? It's already showing in 586 theatres and raked in a little over $3M this weekend ($5,171 PTA). I'm thinking we'll see it expand to between 800 and 900 theatres on November 1.

I dont know how much wider A24 is gonna go considering Halloween is over after this week. 

17 hours ago, babz06 said:

I dont know how much wider A24 is gonna go considering Halloween is over after this week. 

It’s pretty much gone near me after Thursday. There’s one theater in Chicago with showings Sunday and Monday. All the AMCs have dumped it. From my vantage point, it’s done, which is too bad. It deserved better.

Edited by JustWatching

23 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yes

4,3 on Letterboxd.

Edited by Lighthouse