Jake Gittes

The Lighthouse | Robert Eggers' follow-up to The Witch | Awesome Analog Black & White FILM Technology | Willem Dafoe, Robert Pattinson | October 18, 2019

Just now, baumer said:

What is Sandler in that is getting accolades?

Uncut Gems - the new movie from the directors of Good Time. Debuting at TIFF in September before a theatrical release in December.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Uncut Gems - the new movie from the directors of Good Time. Debuting at TIFF in September before a theatrical release in December.

Well I will believe it when I see it. I've always believed that Adam Sandler was a good actor and I think he should have gotten an Oscar nomination for Punch-Drunk Love but the academy ignored that one. Hopefully if he is as good as your saying he is they don't ignore him this time.

Just now, baumer said:

What is Sandler in that is getting accolades?

A film called Uncut Gems. Who knows how much awards potential it actually has but could be but it's an indie film and A24 is releasing it in Oscar season. Adam Sandler is the kind of bad comedy actor that when they turn in a good dramatic performance, Academy takes note.

Well Adam Sandler was such a bad comedy actor that he had a streak pretty much unlike anyone else in Hollywood for a long time. Whenever his acting ability was in comedy it certainly got audiences into the theater.

I also thought he was really good in men women and children.

Just now, baumer said:

Well Adam Sandler was such a bad comedy actor that he had a streak pretty much unlike anyone else in Hollywood for a long time. Whenever his acting ability was in comedy it certainly got audiences into the theater.

I also thought he was really good in men women and children.

I'm not talking about how he is as a comic performer / actor, but its a fact he has been in dozens of films that were very poorly received by critics and oscar minded people. Eddie Murphy is an example of someone who was in loads of awful films and then when he finally turned in a great dramatic performance, he was Lead Actor frontrunner (he didn't win but you see what I mean)

One thing that's potentially irksome about the release date is that it's in direct competition with Jojo Rabbit. Hopefully both films can succeed. I'm sure that there are many people out there like me who want to see both films in theaters.

Edited by SLAM!

14 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

One thing that's potentially irksome about the release date is that it's in direct competition with Jojo Rabbit. Hopefully both films can succeed. I'm sure that there are many people out there like me who want to see both films in theaters.

both limited releases though (actually not sure if this is limited but it just seems like a movie where releasing it wide straight away would be insane). i'm sure they'll have differing rollouts. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

actually not sure if this is limited but it just seems like a movie where releasing it wide straight away would be insane

Gotta cash in on that Bat-cache.

I'm just saying the Lovecraft influence is readily apparent. The aesthetic Eggers has chosen, as evident in the trailer, is amazing. At the very least, it makes me want to play Layers of Fear 2 again. Hey, I like it. I will certainly see this on the biggest screen possible despite it most likely being a limited release.

In a platform release this could go the way of Suspiria so I can see them going straight wide, esp. since The Witch performed surprisingly well. Maybe a concentrated opening in like ~800 theaters to get both a wide release and a strong enough PTA that it doesn't immediately fall off a cliff.

The fact that cinephiles are in love with Timothée Chalamet and Robert Pattison is pretty telling ...

Gone are the days of the Steve MCQueen & Bruce Willis of the world...

Now it s soy time on the menu ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1