Jake Gittes

The Lighthouse | Robert Eggers' follow-up to The Witch | Awesome Analog Black & White FILM Technology | Willem Dafoe, Robert Pattinson | October 18, 2019

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

In a platform release this could go the way of Suspiria so I can see them going straight wide,

Spoiler

Masturbation scenes, "Patman" imagining sex with a mermaid and Patman avoiding a gush of semen from Dafoe...

Forget it.

• Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The fact that cinephiles are in love with Timothée Chalamet and Robert Pattison is pretty telling ...

Gone are the days of the Steve MCQueen & Bruce Willis of the world...

Now it s soy time on the menu ...

Yeah I like manly men like James Dean, Tom Cruise and Leonardo DiCaprio.

41 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

In a platform release this could go the way of Suspiria so I can see them going straight wide, esp. since The Witch performed surprisingly well. Maybe a concentrated opening in like ~800 theaters to get both a wide release and a strong enough PTA that it doesn't immediately fall off a cliff.

Is the movie supposed to be super esoteric like Suspiria? It looks creepy and stuff sure, but is there some super non-GA/arthouse-audience-friendly stuff in there?

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Is the movie supposed to be super esoteric like Suspiria? It looks creepy and stuff sure, but is there some super non-GA/arthouse-audience-friendly stuff in there?

Spoiler

saw something about ejaculation in one of the spoiler tags

39 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The fact that cinephiles are in love with Timothée Chalamet and Robert Pattison is pretty telling ...

aquaman-permission-gif.gif

Villeneuve's new muse. That's automatic cinephile approval. 

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This sounds like it makes Suspiria look like a Blumhouse affair. $200m dom on the cards? 🤔

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

My 2035 bold prediction :

"Remember that time when Hollywood thought Robert Pattinson was a good actor and a movie star ?"

Good times.

I can't tell what's gonna be more insufferable: your hot-takes when Tenet opens or your hot-takes when Batman opens.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

There's nothing remotely audience friendly in this movie. 

The Vulture review spoils some of the movie's crazy stuff

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

There's nothing remotely audience friendly in this movie. 

The Vulture review spoils some of the movie's crazy stuff

I agree. It looks like an interesting film, but it chances of being a hit are about zero. It's a very low budget film so it might actually make a little profit. but as to being a film with mass appeal...forget it.

Even a lot of horror buffs might not be attracted to this. A bit to estotaric for them.

ANyway, Dafoe always does crazy well....

Edited by dudalb

If any distributor is going to take a mainstream-unfriendly horror release wide and just take their chances with word-of-mouth, it's A24. The Witch picked up enough of a following that they could probably still find a solid niche audience in wide release, a la Midsommar last month.

The Lighthouse is gonna win a bucketload of critics awards and Indie Spirits. It's televised awards where things get tough cause it really isn't ASPAS catnip based on Vulture spoiler talk. But fingers crossed for Patz to get tided over by critic wins assuming they back him up.

A24 produces, with good quality control, factory entertainment for the elites of the coasts.

Good for them.

They know how gulible their audience is.

In short, The A24 formula.

Edited by The Futurist

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

My 2035 bold prediction :

"Remember that time when Hollywood thought Robert Pattinson was a good actor and a movie star ?"

Good times.

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

A24 produces, with good quality control, factory entertainment for the elites of the coasts.

Good for them.

DependableImpracticalAdamsstaghornedbeet

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Good for them.

i think you should just add as a signature. "i'm inexplicably bitter about people liking indie movies, or anything i don't care for really. they're all bourgeois fools... yes, i am very secure, why do you ask?". it would save you from writing 50 of these posts a month.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I think we would be surprised from time to time, movie big on a coast isn't necessarily on the other coast either, at least in tractable online activity it can be quite regional diverse.

highest interest subregion for A24:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fg%2F11b6_84bg3

The Witch

New hampshire

Maine

Massachusetts

Utah

New Mexico

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=lady bird

Lady Bird

Texas

Vermont

California

Massachusetts

Connecticut

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fg%2F11f3xqgn07

Hereditary

Utah

Azriona

California

New Mexico

Texas

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0126506s

Ex Machina (quite west coast)

Columbia

Washington

California

Hawaii

Alaska

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=%2Fg%2F11c553rtlh

It Come at night (quite central)

Arizona

Michigan

Texas

New Mexico

Indiana

A detailed popularity map of Oscar nominee did show an somewhat equal distribution of movie playing most on the west, middle and east coast:

https://googletrends.github.io/google_oscars/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1