Jake Gittes

The Lighthouse | Robert Eggers' follow-up to The Witch | Awesome Analog Black & White FILM Technology | Willem Dafoe, Robert Pattinson | October 18, 2019

Just now, filmlover said:

This is opening at a lot of theaters around here next weekend so clearly it's getting a sizeable expansion. Perhaps putting it in 350-400 theaters if I had to guess.

Gotta capitalize on Pattman (and those incredible reviews)

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What? 

Pattinson being the next Batman will string up a lot of interest in this, and the reviews being so incredibly positive is gonna help it a lot too. It'll make a lot more than High Life/Good Time imo

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is opening at a lot of theaters around here next weekend so clearly it's getting a sizeable expansion. Perhaps putting it in 350-400 theaters if I had to guess.

Is it strictly NY/LA this weekend? More limited releases with healthy pre-existing buzz around them need to take the Judy route tbh. Hit the ground running instead of taking weeks to make themselves available. 

Edited by Jake Gittes

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Pattinson being the next Batman will string up a lot of interest in this, and the reviews being so incredibly positive is gonna help it a lot too. It'll make a lot more than High Life/Good Time imo

It was a joke. I was referencing the second trailer. I guess it didn’t land. 

You're right, though. This is getting an unusual amount of buzz for an A24 film.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It was a joke. I was referencing the second trailer. I guess it didn’t land. 

Damn, I've not seen the trailers again since they dropped since I kind of wanna go in as blind as I can as someone who's already seen the trailers. But yeah, this has a lot of buzz - the VVitch turning into a cult hit helps a lot too imo.

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Is it strictly NY/LA this weekend? More limited releases with healthy pre-existing buzz around them need to take the Judy route tbh. Hit the ground running instead of taking weeks to make themselves available. 

It is. FWIW the main reason why Judy opened in that many locations first instead of just NY/LA is because Garland is arguably one of the biggest gay icons ever and so they hit all the cities/states with high LGBT populations first knowing that it would do well there. This seems like it's getting a similar rollout to what Suspiria did last year, from what I can tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It is. FWIW the main reason why Judy opened in that many locations first instead of just NY/LA is because Garland is arguably one of the biggest gay icons ever and so they hit all the cities/states with high LGBT populations first knowing that it would do well there. This seems like it's getting a similar rollout to what Suspiria did last year, from what I can tell.

I'm sure that was a factor but even without that Roadside has a history of opening movies in 350-500 theaters and it paid off for them almost every time. I wish more studios would try that type of strategic rollout, figure out where a movie is likely to attract an audience right away and put it there. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm sure that was a factor but even without that Roadside has a history of opening movies in 350-500 theaters and it paid off for them almost every time. I wish more studios would try that type of strategic rollout, figure out where a movie is likely to attract an audience right away and put it there. 

Yes. Perfect rollout for stuff like Lighthouse, Jojo and, with the wave buzz, maybe even Parasite this year.

• Like 1