That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, grey ghost said:

What are other cultural phenomenons other than BP that would make decent comps for leg projections?

WW same cultural phenomenon with its basis on representation and also exists in the same comic book movie sphere as well. Imagine BP with a 4x multi like WW? 800M DOM?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm kind of bracing myself for complete annihilation with Annihilation. That 2,000 TC is baaaaaaaaaad.

Paramount is clearly dumping it. Probably just taking the Netflix money and scurrying.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Paramount is clearly dumping it. Probably just taking the Netflix money and scurrying.

Oh yeah. The small ad push is reflective of that; they already made back most of the budget from Netflix, so it wouldn't make sense for them to dump a lot of resources into marketing here.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Oh yeah. The small ad push is reflective of that; they already made back most of the budget from Netflix, so it wouldn't make sense for them to dump a lot of resources into marketing here.

Honestly I'm surprised Annihilation got a full wide release at all. It seems more like expanding arthouse fare. 

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Honestly I'm surprised Annihilation got a full wide release at all. It seems more like expanding arthouse fare. 

It's another mother! situation where a platform release would do no favors. If either of these were platformed, they both would've made less than 10M.

Just now, filmlover said:

Annihilation is likely gonna end up having a similar run to the director's previous movie (Ex Machina). And like that movie, it should find a much bigger audience at home, assuming the reviews live up to it.

25M seems generous for Annihilation at this point. Anything over mother! would be a win.

16 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I really don't have any idea. It's Disney/Marvel, it has an almost all African-American cast, which makes it a nonesuch in my book. I have many, many African-American friends on FB, more than a thousand, and it seems like every one has seen it already and is hyped by it. But obviously a whole lot of others are seeing it too, like myself. 

I just don't know. What about you?

In addition to that, plenty of your friends and other movie goers might go see it in theaters again as well! I plan to!

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It's another mother! situation where a platform release would do no favors. If either of these were platformed, they both would've made less than 10M.

It's probably a really good film too. Though at least with Mother, Paramount actually tried to give it a push, and didn't act like they were ashamed of it or something. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm kind of bracing myself for complete annihilation with Annihilation. That 2,000 TC is baaaaaaaaaad.

They should have just sold the worldwide rights like with Cloverfield.

• Like 1