That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 minute ago, Deathlife said:

I guess it’s too late now to give Ryan Coogler Star Wars IX.

They should consider giving some movies though. He can’t be worse than J.J. Abrams or even Rian Johnson.

We're talking about a SW fanbase that whined about Abrams being too homage-y/rehashing of the OT to getting mad at Johnson for being too different. 

(I liked TLJ, but boy BP didn't have the bloat problem that TLJ had.)

Probably the thought is more prominent this weekend but feels like after Superman the character DCEU got badly wrong was Cyborg (Flash, Aqm, Bat were portrayed fine and they got Wondy right). But the Cyborg gadgetry in deleted scenes and Fisher's charisma make that SH very promising for the big screen with much more potential than others. They botched it up initially going with a tragic emo arc and then trying to undo that (rightly so imo but with no time left or planning).

I did rather see a Cyborg-Sup (Fisher-Cavill) team up done right than a Flashpoint movie with Flash and Wondy. Wondy can have her own isolated trilogy instead of burning off demand in cameos and team-ups.

Edited by a2knet

So with Panther doing $200M, Monster Hunt doing $190M, Detective Chinatown doing $154M, and Monkey King 3 doing $80M, basically the only thing people did this weekend was go to the movies. And I assume a couple people somewhere caught the Olympics.

• Like 6

Just now, Deathlife said:

I guess it’s too late now to give Ryan Coogler Star Wars IX.

They should consider giving some movies though. He can’t be worse than J.J. Abrams or even Rian Johnson.

Would rather Coogler leverage this into original blockbusters ala Nolan. He's got that level of heat

"You want me to make 2 more Panthers? Aight aight lets see"

Ryan-Coogler-gif.gif

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Probably the thought is more prominent this weekend but feels like after Superman the character DCEU got badly wrong was Cyborg (Flash, Aqm, Bat were portrayed fine and they got Wondy right). But the Cyborg gadgetry in deleted scenes and Fisher's charisma make that SH very promising for the big screen with much more potential than others. They botched it up initially going with a tragic emo arc and then trying to undo that (rightly so imo but with no time left or planning).

I did rather see a Cyborg-Sup (Fisher-Cavill) team up done right than a Flashpoint movie with Flash and Wondy. Wondy can have her own isolated trilogy instead of burning off demand in cameos and team-ups.

The impression I got was they were going the ole Universal Monster movie arch, plus hinting at a redemption route in JL (as part of the character's thematic finding purpose in his shattered life)....which they completely abandoned by the 3rd act. That's baffling and it neutered him. 

14 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

So with Panther doing $200M, Monster Hunt doing $190M, Detective Chinatown doing $154M, and Monkey King 3 doing $80M, basically the only thing people did this weekend was go to the movies. And I assume a couple people somewhere caught the Olympics.

You know who didn't catch the Olympics? The U.S. Olympic team. *rimshot*

• Like 1

(I’m using 60 for the Sun fig with the same reasoning as a2knet)   

In case anyone was curious, here’s a comprehensive list of movies with a top 25 OW and an OD:Sun  ratio at least as good as BP’s:

Edited by Sliver Legion

55 minutes ago, RRA said:

We're talking about a SW fanbase that whined about Abrams being too homage-y/rehashing of the OT to getting mad at Johnson for being too different. 

(I liked TLJ, but boy BP didn't have the bloat problem that TLJ had.)

Rain Johnson will likely be responsible for 100s of millions of lost revenue for Disney for star wars unless jj Abrams pleases the star wars fan base in episode 9.

A lot of people are still rather delusional thinking backlash to this film is with MRa or sexist but the backlash is very mainstream and has gotten worse since release.

58 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Would rather Coogler leverage this into original blockbusters ala Nolan. He's got that level of heat

"You want me to make 2 more Panthers? Aight aight lets see"

Ryan-Coogler-gif.gif

Queue Iger grinding his teeth as he signs a 150m cheque for a non-franchise film.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eevin said:

box office: finally manages to come alive

bot: still manages to have the same fucking conversations about justice league and star wars that they’ve been having for months

Every thread is gonna be a TLJ thread for years. Dread it, run from it. Destiny still arrives

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 3