That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, Chewy said:

Pretty sure I read a quote from Feige or someone that they were specifically not in it b/c they wanted to debut Wasp in her own movie before having them in Part 2

Yeah, that's what I thought. Meaning AM2 is unlikely to get much of an IW boost. Thor to Thor 2 situation wouldn't shock me after the first trailer. 

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Do we know what the biggest worldwide weekend was overall? Loads of crazy numbers gonna be coming out in the next few days.

I have never thought about WW weekend numbers, but just from Chinese films we could have $500m this weekend. Add Black Panther and the rest of holdovers... I do know if 1 billion has ever been grossed in a single weekend worldwide, but that seems the target this weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Idk I get the sense that Ant-Man will squeak by 100M OW and finish in the 250M area. The family options this summer are... not great

Let's make a lofty assumption though and just say that both BP and IW end up 600+ grossers DOM. You'd think the GA would need a little time to cool down from MCU after that right? Idk, who knows at this point. I will say it would be beyond epic if AM2 pulled off something like 105 on OW and great WOM and kept the 300 streak going. 

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Haha loving the hyperbole that this means IW is locked to beat TFA. Black Panther is new, unique and represents a severely undeserved demo. IW is none of those things and won't have the same public narrative. 

I think IW boosted this film 

Disney top 2 Dom last 3 years:

937, 459 (2015) 698 average

532, 486 (2016) 509 average

621, 504 (2017) 563 average

2018 BP and AIW don't know in which order but 500+ average.

Would be cool if Poppins pulls off a Jumanji in Dec.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Let's make a lofty assumption though and just say that both BP and IW end up 600+ grossers DOM. You'd think the GA would need a little time to cool down from MCU after that right? Idk, who knows at this point. I will say it would be beyond epic if AM2 pulled off something like 105 on OW and great WOM and kept the 300 streak going. 

I think Ant-Man is serving a slightly different audience. I've noticed that parents tend to hold the first in much higher regard than fanboys.

The only kid-serving comp in July is Hotel Transylvania

• Like 1

Keep underestimating Ant-Man and the Wasp, people. It will also surprise.

And at this point, I would not be surprised if Captain Marvel opened with 140-150 million.

It's been quite evident for a while that the MCU/Disney knows their shit and know how to market their films.

• Like 1

The Black Cat over the Purple Alien seems now quite possible dom.

:ohmygod:

The Feige owns Hollywood, we just live in it.

At this point, I am convinced Iger bought Fox because Feige told him to do so.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Haha loving the hyperbole that this means IW is locked to beat TFA. Black Panther is new, unique and represents a severely undeserved demo. IW is none of those things and won't have the same public narrative. 

Except its first trailer is the most viewed of all time online, its Superbowl spot dominated the rest, and its social media buzz has been astronomically high months before pre-sales even go on. BP had none of those things going for it and look what it's doing anyways. This is very much a JW to TFA history repeat, imo. However huge JW was, TFA was always bound to do even more. Same situation here.

1 minute ago, StevenG said:

Keep underestimating Ant-Man and the Wasp, people. It will also surprise.

And at this point, I would not be surprised if Captain Marvel opened with 140-150 million.

It's been quite evident for a while that the MCU/Disney knows their shit and know how to market their films.

I think Ant-Man 2 will surprise too. The first part was great. I would not rule out $300m, even more with IW boost.

• Like 1