That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

What's the highest worldwide grossing movie directed by a black director?

Coogler has the chance to get the crown, but I think F.Gary Gray is the man with 1.2 billion worldwide for Furious 8. Is that correct?

Yes.

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Coogler has the chance to get the crown, but I think F.Gary Gray is the man with 1.2 billion worldwide for Furious 8. Is that correct?

This is correct.

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yes. Coogler will beat him easy peasy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, druv10 said:

30M+ wouldn't surprise me for today. We've cultural phenomenon on our hand so normal limits don't apply. I really think it's going to surpass every movie except Avatar and SW7, hell 700M wouldn't shock me.

You could be right.  This is quite exciting to me. Box office had become pretty boring and predictable for a minute.

1 hour ago, John Harris said:

Does Feige need an excuse to give the shield to Bucky? Bucky took the mantle in the comics before Sam Wilson did. I personally preferred the Winter Soldier's ascension to Captain America in the comics to Sam's. Fighting in a war alongside Steve, thought dead for decades but instead suffering an even worse fate - turning against everything he'd fought for... and still becoming the ultimate American hero. All of that still fits in the MCU.  The movies' Sam Wilson just doesn't have that interesting of a back-story where his rise to becoming CA would be all that amazing.

That being said, I'd be OK if they go with Sam-as-Cap. I love Anthony Mackie in the role, even though he's quite a bit different from the more serious Sam in the comics. Seeing him as Cap would be fun, but it would be more of a triumph for movie-Bucky.  We'll see how Barnes behaves in IW, which will be the first movie we've seen "Good Bucky" in from start to finish since CA:TFA; I'm sure there will be clues if he's headed toward becoming Cap.

It's an interesting debate, because really it should come down to who (most believably) would movie-Steve *want* to take up the mantle when he's gone. An argument could be made for both. Steve obviously trusts Sam with his life at this point, definitely more than anyone who is still alive at this point. But he gave up nearly everything out of loyalty to Bucky in Civil War. And I loved the dynamic between Sam and Bucky in CW; they could continue to make a formidable duo if/when one of them takes up the shield.

From a Comic Book perspective, there is the precedent for Bucky to get the shield before Sam.  I would argue though that in the MCU continuity, it makes so much more sense for Sam Wilson to have the shield and the mantle of Captain America.  Cap always served as the leader (or co-leader) of the Avengers.  Watching how Sam Wilson behaved in CACW -- him leading the discussions in the group chat, he making the sacrifice call at the airport when Cap couldn't, etc - put him in a better position to LEAD Avengers 2.0, because the group already trusts him, whereas Bucky would come in as an outsider.  

And I absolutely believe Steve would want Sam to have the shield.  Those two are joined at the hip to quote Mackie, and have the strongest connection of Steve's new family.  (Like, I get, you're never going to match Bucky, but Bucky is the past.  Sam is the present.)

• Like 1