That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

That's why we're talking about % drop not $ drop though.

I think SW going every year was going to mean diminishing power anyways, but I don't think TLJ helped at all.

This I can agree with.

2 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

TBH Solo looks underwhelming as a film. So yeah.

To me, it's not just the previews. In the wake of TLJ, I get a sense of Star Wars Fatigue. I'd feel that way even if Solo was coming out in December. But in May? IMO, this has flop-alert written all over it. 

We'll see ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

No one can ensure any movie makes more than any other. Sony never could've predicted Jumanji making more than all their Spiderman movies. Breakouts inherently unpredictable.

A Black Panther movie in 2011 probably wouldn't have made half a dent. Sometimes you just get a perfect storm.

Well, they could have in this case. Why should people really care about Thanos when all he's been doing is sitting on his golden toilet seat for 6 years? People should have been given the chance to get to know the character before the big showdown. The initial rumors about GotG2 being about Gamora and Nebula being hunted down by Thanos's third adopted daughter (speculations were it was Moondragon, Drax's own daughter who Thanos exploited such like he did with Gamora and Nebula) seemed far more interesting than what we actually got in the film. That story would have upped the personal stakes for IW, and movie goers would have known what Thanos was truly capable of, making them be more invested in seeing him take on the combined might of Avengers and Guardians.

Anyhoo, there's poetic justice in BP exploding on this level and overshadowing IW after years of Perlmutter's bs. Just find it amusing how the reluctance to highlight women and minority characters in other films, even when said reluctance takes away from the 10 year long story arc you've been building, created this "perfect storm". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Well, they could have in this case. Why should people really care about Thanos when all he's been doing is sitting on his golden toilet seat for 6 years? People should have been given the chance to get to know the character before the big showdown. The initial rumors about GotG2 being about Gamora and Nebula being hunted down by Thanos's third adopted daughter (speculations were it was Moondragon, Drax's own daughter who Thanos exploited such like he did with Gamora and Nebula) seemed far more interesting than what we actually got in the film. That story would have upped the personal stakes for IW, and movie goers would have known what Thanos was truly capable of, making them be more invested in seeing him take on the combined might of Avengers and Guardians.

Anyhoo, there's poetic justice in BP exploding on this level and overshadowing IW after years of Perlmutter's bs. Just find it amusing how the reluctance to highlight women and minority characters in other films, even when said reluctance takes away from the 10 year long story arc you've been building, created this "perfect storm". 

I mean the movie hasn't opened yet so. IW is already the most viewed trailer of all time, so I'm not really sure what else they could be doing lol. The rest is just on this movie to deliver the goods.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Mr. Wayne's will was not amended to reflect his more modest estate... Nonetheless, there are considerable assets to dispose of...

Nolan should do Dark Knight 4.  The plot....  the atom bomb exploded over the bay.  Nuclear fallout is inevitable.  The people of Gotham are safe but must relocate.  The rest of the city is a swamp/wasteland.  The Dark Knight Returns

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

I get the point. But TFA grossed almost a billion dollars. The drop off was gonna be huge even if the reception was better for TLJ. A lot of people didn't like the movie. I don't think the drop off is because people are losing interest in the franchise in general. 

This is true 100%.

• Like 1

With the 4-day weekend out of the way, we now get to find out how "front-loaded" Black Panther is. A good yardstick is probably Jurassic World, which opened with almost identical numbers. JW certainly wasn't front loaded, IIRC, it carried on making $20m + a day even on the Tuesday - Thursday weekdays.

Will be interesting ... 

Just now, SteveJaros said:

With the 4-day weekend out of the way, we now get to find out how "front-loaded" Black Panther is. A good yardstick is probably Jurassic World, which opened with almost identical numbers. JW certainly wasn't front loaded, IIRC, it carried on making $20m + a day even on the Tuesday - Thursday weekdays.

Will be interesting ... 

Summer weekdays.

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Will be interesting ... 

Jurassic World had Summer weekdays. Black Panther doesn’t have that advantage, so I don’t expect it to match Jurassic World on that front. 

8 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

It did, and no question, $620m DOM and $1.326B WW is objectively a massive success.

But still, aren't you worried for "Solo" in a few months anyway? 

I'm not worried.  They're not expecting it to do as well as any of the newer films.

That said, after watching the trailer, I actually think it looks incredibly fun, but then again my expectations are probably low as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Will be interesting ... 

JW had a 2.79 multiplier from the 4-day opening. That would lead to a total around $675m for Black Panther. Will be interesting to watch for sure.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's my day off and I'm bored sitting here waiting for actuals...

FSF
F 5,658,200    -69
S 6,960,250    -45
S 4,689,095    -38    
WE 17,307,545    -55

MO 2,131,575    -23    
WK 19,439,120    -67    
Cume 78,630,575

TGS
F 1,326,083    -17
S 2,110,874    -31    
S 1,596,561    -11    
WE 5,033,518    -22

MO 1,494,079    174          

WK 6,527,597
Cume155,905,953

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean the movie hasn't opened yet so. IW is already the most viewed trailer of all time, so I'm not really sure what else they could be doing lol. The rest is just on this movie to deliver the goods.

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as to say IW is being overshadowed.  BP is having its time in the limelight, but IW will break records again.  Unless the Russos pull a Joss Whedon lol.