That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

3 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

As others have said JW was released in the summer with summer weekdays to help. Having said that, BP is primed to have some big weekdays. Will they all be over 20m? I don't think so. But they will definitely come close to matching JW summer weekdays and all. It's off to a good start.

JW's early weekdays were not full summer boost. I remember people being somewhat disappointed by them at the time. And then it went over $100m on the second weekend. It was sort of a hybrid run between early May weekend monsters like Spidey/Avengers and late July weekday monster TDK.

• Like 4

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

JW's early weekdays were not full summer boost. I remember people being somewhat disappointed by them at the time. And then it went over $100m on the second weekend. It was sort of a hybrid run between early May weekend monsters like Spidey/Avengers and late July weekday monster TDK.

That is true. However, there were more people out of school and on vacation than this time of year. It is not even Spring Break anywhere.  So the weekday performance should not be expected to be the same, imo.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

For sure his performance in Civil War likely pre sold the film to the MCU fanbase. 

I agree it a perfect combination.

I think BP changes the game in Hollywood but I would caution that a lot of things went right for BP to break out this big. 

I agree.

It's absolutely a perfect storm.

That's the only way a B or C-list character has a realistic shot at being one of the highest grossing superhero movies (adjusted).

Adjusted.

That is beyond insane.

• Like 1

Just now, DAR said:

I said it last week and it also applies to WW but the biggest fear is some studio exec is going to just look at the numbers and not the why these films resonated with people.

That was WB's problem with trying to make Man of Steel "darker" because of the Nolan Batman movies. Other studios are guilty of trying to be "darker" as well.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I said it last week and it also applies to WW but the biggest fear is some studio exec is going to just look at the numbers and not the why these films resonated with people.

Yeah, I don't think you can simply throw a bunch of black actors together and get a huge hit. 

I think BP being attached to the Marvel franchise is why it was able to attract such a wide crowd because unfortunately a lot of people outside of the black demographic I think would dismiss it as a 'black peoples movie'.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

That is true. However, there were more people out of school and on vacation than this time of year. It is not even Spring Break anywhere.  So the weekday performance should not be expected to be the same, imo.

Oh, definitely. The holiday boost on Monday is a huge help for Panther compared to JW's summer boost through the other weekdays. That's like a $15m bonus that helps offset the other days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

Isn't this true of like every studio that's tried to do the cinematic universe thing since Marvel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I agree.

It's absolutely a perfect storm.

That's the only way a B or C-list character has a realistic shot at being one of the highest grossing superhero movies (adjusted).

Adjusted.

That is beyond insane.

It helps that Marvel has managed to create such a consistent and successful film brand for the past decade. Black Panther's performance is a continuation of that, only on a much, greater scale (for obvious reasons). Amazing.  

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

That's inevitable.

Not all producers and execs will have the best take away.

Many will look for fast and easy money instead of careful and methodical planning and thought. Many will view BP as a gimmick and dismiss the vital reasons the film struck a genuine cord.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah, I don't think you can simply throw a bunch of black actors together and get a huge hit. 

I think BP being attached to the Marvel franchise is why it was able to attract such a wide crowd because unfortunately a lot of people outside of the black demographic I think would dismiss it as a 'black peoples movie'.

The takeaway from BP is that a black blockbuster (say that three times fast) is not a detriment and can still make a cozy amount of money like any other type of movie. Anyone who throws together another black superhero movie and expects an easy 170M OW is gonna be in for a disappointment. It's all proportional; BP is attached to a franchise that's bigger than Jesus at the moment. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Oh if this was pre-CW, Disney definitely would've made them cram more white people into this movie FOR SURE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Oh if this was pre-CW, Disney definitely would've made them cram more white people into this movie FOR SURE.

Civil War for all its fault really allowed the MCU to branch into a lot of 'smaller characters'. 

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

...that's it?

CHastian has been rumored for the grownup Bev in the second half of IT since the first weekend grosses guaranteed the second half would put on the fast track........Kroll the Troll is a bit late to the party on that one.

Edited by dudalb

17 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

But there again is where you give Marvel their due as well. They know how to pick the right actors for their characters. And yes, those actors were fantastic.

The director, costume designer, cinematographer, writers, etc

Everyone brought their A-game.

To their credit they obviously recognized the potential and importance very early on.

Edit: As did Kevin Feige. ;)

Edited by grey ghost