That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The reaction to the IW trailer last night in front of Black Panther here was glorious. The public is ready for it. The public wants to fuck hard with that movie.

CJohn understands.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I didn't get Avengers trailer with Black Panther :lol:

That's because Disney didn't give the option to theaters.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Maybe disagree without calling people retarded, this isn't 5th grade or 2002.The same people who are in love with this character didn't turn out to see him in Civil War. People wanted THIS movie, a movie exclusively focused on him and Wakanda. They wanted it for years, just like people wanted a Wonder Woman movie for years. Plus, you add in reviews, and....Sure, there probably will be a marginal increase, but it's certainly not gonna be enough to be the difference maker in it get past TFA or anything. 

CW came out before most casuals knew what made BP different from the typical black sidekick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Maybe disagree without calling people retarded, this isn't 5th grade or 2002.The same people who are in love with this character didn't turn out to see him in Civil War. People wanted THIS movie, a movie exclusively focused on him and Wakanda. They wanted it for years, just like people wanted a Wonder Woman movie for years. Plus, you add in reviews, and....Sure, there probably will be a marginal increase, but it's certainly not gonna be enough to be the difference maker in it get past TFA or anything. 

I think Black Panther will add 20m to Infinity War opening. Not that marginal. So most people were predicting around 210m. I think you now have to look at 230m

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

CW came out before most casuals knew what made BP different from the typical black sidekick.

Absolutely this. Black Panther was not well known upon Civil Wars release. He seemed like a minor character addition.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

And many black and non-black casuals will be hungry for more BP mythos.

Coming from some external info (I can’t think of the word or saying to replace external info but there’s a better one), I can guarantee my mother who is excited for Panther won’t be seeing IW. I won’t be too surprised if the audience you guys think is coming for IW won’t come.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 4

Interest for IW is much more global then more localized to North America for Black Panther. 

I am quite certain IW will be the biggest comic book movie ever overseas by gross. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

This is just anecdotal, but my mom, who HATES superhero movies and hasn't seen any of the MCUs since Avengers besides the Guardians movies, hasn't stopped raving about this since she saw it last night. I guarantee you on everything she will not see Infinity War.  Same with my friends Nkwa and Ryan that told me this after we saw it. This is the superhero movie for non superhero-fans. Hell, Tele is seeing it people, there's anecdotal evidence right on these here boards. I'm not doubting that Infinity War might gain some portion of Black Panther's audience, but it's gonna lose a much, much bigger one. 

• Like 9

Looking at AIW online activity can't imagine it falling below AOU dom and os by much. Would have to be a very mixed film. Thanos in a full fledged baddie appearance is a massive boost.

Edited by a2knet

Marvel gotta be happy about people debating whether their tentpole gonna do 400M or 500M. 

Black Panther and Infinity War both gonna kill it this year. Can’t ask for anything better than this for their 10th anniversary.

Well, there’s the Ant-Man movie....

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

And I don't see why it would matter. There is clearly going to be a large portion of BP's audience that will not turn out for IW

Exactly. Black Panther looks interesting. Infinity War looks bland and boring. I will be seeing BP this weekend. IW is a wait for Netflix movie for me.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is just anecdotal, but my mom, who HATES superhero movies and hasn't seen any of the MCUs since Avengers besides the Guardians movies, hasn't stopped raving about this since she saw it last night. I guarantee you on everything she will not see Infinity War.  Same with my friends Nkwa and Ryan that told me this after we saw it. This is the superhero movie for non superhero-fans. Hell, Tele is seeing it people, there's anecdotal evidence right on these here boards. I'm not doubting that Infinity War might gain some portion of Black Panther's audience, but it's gonna lose a much, much bigger one. 

I just asked my parents if they are going to see Black Panther they said no. Then Infinity War which they said probably. So what are we to make of this!

Edited by eXtacy

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Marvel gotta be happy about people debating whether their tentpole gonna do 400M or 500M. 

Black Panther and Infinity War both gonna kill it this year. Can’t ask for anything better than this for their 10th anniversary.

Well, there’s the Ant-Man movie....

And even Ant-Man 2 will probably see a nice boost from the first movie like The Winter Soldier did from The First Avenger.

Just now, eXtacy said:

I just asked my parents if they are going to see Black Panther they said no. Then Infinity War which they said yes. So what are we to make of this!

Well I guess the point is that we would have already saw AoU and Civil War, which we already have numbers on, and we already know what the audience is, whereas Black Panther is attracting an audience who didn't see those movies.