That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, Jonwo said:

Looks like playing Johnny Storm in a FF movie can be good for your career as evident by Chris Evans and Michael B Jordan. 

Hopefully whoever they get to play Johnny in the inevitable MCU FF movie can see a career boost

No it will be a career killer because they'll finally get the FF right

Edited by DAR
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

As impressive as Black Panther's Thursday is, HOLY MOTHERFUCKER OF GOD, Monster Hunt 2 scored a 97M OD :ohmygod:

Monstruous (no pun intended). Pretty sure that's just over Deathly Hallows Part 2 (DOM) as the 3rd biggest OD gross in BO history, only behind the DOM OD's of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Unbelievable. May be the 1st non-Hollywood billion dollar grosser WW.

Did I read right? The next opening day grosses were $59M, $28M and $20M? Holy shit. That's the story of weekend box office globally. Wow!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-monster-hunt-2-opens-record-97m-first-day-chinese-new-year-1085497

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Oh fuck, that's 2.4 more then Ultron's Thursday night showing, and more then Civil War. Massive, massive opening weekend incoming. 

Are you sure?

Isn't it 2.4m below Age of Ultron (27.6m) and basically identical with Civil War (25m)?

Not that this is changing much, the weekend is going to be huge, especially with Sunday being boosted by a holiday Monday ;)

i feel like a 2003 thor movie would be pretty similar to what we got except probably with more linkin park or nickelback or whoever on the soundtrack. there's something real early 2000s about that movie way more than any other mcu flick.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

We'll call that a blessing because those movies would look and feel nothing like they do today. Werent people trying to give Spiderman 8 arms and sex scenes back in the 90s? Yeah can't imagine what a 1999 Iron Man or 2003 Thor would've blessed us with.

Not just anyone, but James Cameron himself!

12 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Interesting story. Back in 1998 Sony passed up on a deal to buy up all the properties of Marvel for a dirt cheap 25m USD. 

Fast forward 20 years and thats what Marvel films are doing in previews :hahaha:

In 1998 nobody took superhero properties in general as potential to be blockbusters, and on average most films were pretty poor. It took a combination of factors to get where we are now. Marvel films have come a long way from the dark days of movies like Corman's unreleased produced Fantastic Four film, and Captain America (1990). It's quite impressive, really. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

3 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Disney must be crying so hard about all this conversation about BP outgrossing IW or not. I mean they must be super worried to have two +430m DOM Marvel movies this year instead of just one. 

This is a good thing for them. They don't have to pay the other actor the big money. 

Here's an idea... Start a Black Panther trilogy and surround some of the others around it. There are so many stories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

sans for Deathly Hallows P1 which decreased from Half-Blood Prince because it was a pretty slow paced movie with some of the franchise's lesser wom (ironically, I think it's one of the best Potter flicks).

DHP1 is good if you watch P2 right after. Imagine having to watch them camp and dance for almost half the freaking movie! That said dobby scene and the opening scene were amazing.

22 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Except that we have evidence that it's less front-loaded than both CW and AoU. 

Reveal hidden contents

huh? We haven't got any numbers except previews. As soon as Friday estimates are in we can say whether it's less or more frontloaded.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i feel like a 2003 thor movie would be pretty similar to what we got except probably with more linkin park or nickelback or whoever on the soundtrack. there's something real early 2000s about that movie way more than any other mcu flick.

DJ Qualls would have been a great fit.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sam said:

It doesn’t have to be a cultural phenomenon. It’s still gonna be a monumental film for Marvel that will help open doors to their other female-led movies. Hopefully.

I’m excited because for all the comparisons about WW and CM, the only common thing between them is they’re both the go-to biggest female character of their respective franchises. Other than that, their characters/traits/attributes/beliefs/etc... are completely different. And that’s what true representation means. 

Hope Feige and Marvel Studios folks will put the utmost resources and care into Captain Marvel the same way they did Panther.

Black Panther and Wonder Woman have name recognition, name a black superhero and BP is usually first and Wonder Woman comes first in female superheroes. Carol Danvers as CM is likely lower on the list of female superheroes people know, not that I think that's a crutch but I think expecting CM to be the next BP or WW is unrealistic. I hope it's a hit and a good film but I'd be happy if it did Guardians 1 or Doctor Strange numbers on its OW

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Did I read right? The next opening day grosses were $59M, $28M and $20M? Holy shit. That's the story of weekend box office globally. Wow!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-monster-hunt-2-opens-record-97m-first-day-chinese-new-year-1085497

Yeah, China domestic market is heading towards $500M in ticket sales this weekend.

After watching BP: Marvel Ranking (in my opinion): 

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Iron Man

3. Black Panther

4. Guardians of the Galaxy 

5. The Avengers

6. Captain America: Civil War

7. Ant-Man

8. Guardians of the Galaxy. Vol 2

9. Spider-Man: Homecoming 

10. Thor: Ragnarok 

11. Doctor Strange