That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is next year's Avengers movie is the closing chapter in this current line-up for MCU movies (or at least for the Avengers that were introduced between '08 and '12)? I can't wait to see what the next phase is about to bring.

I think it's hard to argue that we haven't seen a noticeable uptick on pretty much every level in the MCU since Kevin Feige gained fulled control.  Phase 3 has been knocking it out of the park.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Is it bad that I've never heard of this person before?

It's perfectly fine.

Meanwhile, anyone else remember that brief period in time when Ashton Kutcher was seriously in the running to play Superman in one of those movies that never took off back in the early 2000s? Jesus.

Just now, Chad Stevens said:

Locked to beat 'Rogue One' now

YES! YES! Down with #NotMyStarWars! :D

Also, please, please over 232.6M 4 day if it can't be 3 day cause 232.6M is Doctor Strange dom total. I want Doctor Stange beaten to a pulp. OS is also doing a great job! :hi5:

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Black Panther and Wonder Woman have name recognition, name a black superhero and BP is usually first and Wonder Woman comes first in female superheroes. Carol Danvers as CM is likely lower on the list of female superheroes people know, not that I think that's a crutch but I think expecting CM to be the next BP or WW is unrealistic. I hope it's a hit and a good film but I'd be happy if it did Guardians 1 or Doctor Strange numbers on its OW

I’m not doing that? 

My only comparison point about CM is to BP because they’re both important to Marvel Studios. And thus, just like BP, Carol Danvers coming in this late in the game, but at the heights of MCU, will hopefully also be reaping the benefits of audiences goodwill and investment towards the franchise. 

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

In 1998 nobody took superhero properties in general as potential to be blockbusters, and on average most films were pretty poor. It took a combination of factors to get where we are now. Marvel films have come a long way from the dark days of movies like Corman's unreleased produced Fantastic Four film, and Captain America (1990). It's quite impressive, really. 

After Batman and Robin, superhero stock was pretty low. It really took X-Men and Spider-Man to get audiences interested again. 

I'm glad Marvel has been hugely successful and I think not having X-Men and initially Spider-Man helped them rather than hindered them wheres Warner Bros were just happy to make Batman and the odd Superman movie but Marvel made them realised they'd been sitting on untapped potential, even though their films have been hit and miss, we've had a Wonder Woman film with a sequel next year, an Aquaman movie this year and a Shazam movie next year, that would have been unthinkable even a decade ago.

3 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Are you sure?

Isn't it 2.4m below Age of Ultron (27.6m) and basically identical with Civil War (25m)?

Not that this is changing much, the weekend is going to be huge, especially with Sunday being boosted by a holiday Monday ;)

I stand corrected on Ultron, however it was slightly higher then Civil War. The point is though, that it's a solo Marvel film, and it's making Avengers like money. That's amazing. Saturday's increase is going to be great. 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is next year's Avengers movie is the closing chapter in this current line-up for MCU movies (or at least for the Avengers that were introduced between '08 and '12)? I can't wait to see what the next phase is about to bring.

I have a feeling Thor will make a movie with the Guardians along with Hulk.

Thor and Hulk Will Remain. 

Black Widow could show up as a secondary character. 

But CA and Iron Man are done I think for sure. 

I think IW2 (or Avengers 4) will decrease from IW. People don't know that it will be split in two parts (is it?). I have some friends who are Marvel fans and they didn't know that it was going to be split in two. IW: 430-525M DOM, Avengers 4: 375-450M DOM 

10 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Oh, absolutely not happening, might do half a billion though.

Really? I mean, I get that it's a sequel, but Wolf Warrior 2 was a sequel as well and it made nearly 870M USD WW with an opening weekend of something over 130M USD. If Monster Hunt 2 has a 96M USD opening day, it's probably gonna crush WW2's OW record and hit, like, a 210M+ USD OW. I guess it could have horrible legs, but still....

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Did I read right? The next opening day grosses were $59M, $28M and $20M? Holy shit. That's the story of weekend box office globally. Wow!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-monster-hunt-2-opens-record-97m-first-day-chinese-new-year-1085497

Yup. Incredible stuff.

3 minutes ago, commendable said:

DHP1 is good if you watch P2 right after. Imagine having to watch them camp and dance for almost half the freaking movie! That said dobby scene and the opening scene were amazing.

Didn't really mind that because it helped develop the characters, for one. But to each their own. Agreed with those two scenes being really good.

4 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

After watching BP: Marvel Ranking (in my opinion): 

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Iron Man

3. Black Panther

4. Guardians of the Galaxy 

5. The Avengers

6. Captain America: Civil War

7. Ant-Man

8. Guardians of the Galaxy. Vol 2

9. Spider-Man: Homecoming 

10. Thor: Ragnarok 

11. Doctor Strange 

12. Avengers: Age of Ultron

13. Captain America: The First Avenger

14. Thor

15. Iron Man 3

16. The Incredible Hulk

17. Iron Man 2

18. Thor: The Dark World

You had no idea what you just did.

Oh boy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jandrew said:

Alright DC time to get to work on Static Shock. Everybody take a seat. We'll have refreshments at the end.

giphy.gif

Static won't happen because DC don't technically own the character, it's licensed from the Dwayne McDuffe estate and with Black Lightning on The CW, they likely don't want two electric characters on both the big screen and the small screen.