Hiccup23

CAYOM Year 3: Discussion

Genre fatigue doesn't just happen as long as the content remains distinct and the products hold up to standard. There's a reason why superhero movies are still on top while the young adult genre - which quickly divulged into a string of mediocre Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games-knockoffs whenever the big three weren't around - saw a quick demise.

There are genres in this game I can see a fatigue occurring because they're either running out of material or are starting to be overflown with mediocrity (that cartoon to live action bubble is going to burst sooner or later) but the space operas - so far having been consistent in critical and audience appraisal - I don't see as one of them yet. Not before we get some real duds.

10 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

That’d be an Age of Ultron like drop from the 2nd to the 3rd film.

Right. But again I outlined my reasoning in the second sentence. Voltron didn't start with Avengers or Star Wars numbers, it suddenly, accidentally jumped there after moving to the holiday season. At least I'm not saying it's gonna be a Rambo III drop :P

Also a parallel - Spectre. Skyfall was the third Craig 007 film but the first mega-hit, and Spectre's attendance fell over 39%. Pirates of the Caribbean also followed a similar pattern; Dead Man's Chest was a big bump over the first, then At World's End fell 30.4%. See also Terminator 2 to Terminator 3.

19 minutes ago, cookie said:

There's a reason why superhero movies are still on top while the young adult genre - which quickly divulged into a string of mediocre Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games-knockoffs whenever the big three weren't around - saw a quick demise.

Well, MCU movies are still on top. Justice League was an enormous bomb, throwing the whole DCEU except maybe Wonder Woman into question. Logan did great but now Wolverine's dead and the non-Wolverine-centric X-Men films are in decline, with Apocalypse a major under-performer and all the upcoming movies being constantly delayed. The Amazing Spider-Man died out after two movies. So did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Power Rangers and Fantastic Four died right out of the gate. Deadpool is a parody.

Edited by Xillix

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious about the remakes/cartoon to live action bubble. I feel a only few will do really well this year (KOTS, Atlantis, TPGOM).

If anything I feel like Atlantis is a disaster waiting to happen. I mean it'll probably be good, but box office-wise? It's based on one of the absolute least-successful, least-remembered Disney films, and granted so was Treasure Planet but that was a major holiday release and in the super-hot space opera wheelhouse, plus based on a classic book. This is dumped in mid-September, has a steampunk vibe that almost invariably fails with audiences (The Rocketeer, Van Helsing, Wild Wild West, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...), and, well, Ron Howard's track record at the box office record has been utter shit for the past decade.

I get that other CAYOM films have had as much or more working against them but... not ALL of them can inexplicably succeed, even if it is @cookie writing them.

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

Well, MCU movies are still on top. Justice League was an enormous bomb, throwing the whole DCEU except maybe Wonder Woman into question. Logan did great but now Wolverine's dead and the non-Wolverine-centric X-Men films are in decline, with Apocalypse a major under-performer and all the upcoming movies being constantly delayed. The Amazing Spider-Man died out after two movies. So did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Power Rangers and Fantastic Four died right out of the gate. Deadpool is a parody.

But that's what I mean about maintaining quality. All of those were bad or spiraled into bad and no franchise regardless of the surrounding environment can sustain itself for long on mediocrity (some take longer than others like Transformers but that got what was coming to it eventually). MCU is actually a perfect example of maintained quality equals maintained interest.

I'm not arguing against the notion of Voltron dropping but rather the notion of the genre itself seeing fatigue.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Screw you Power Rangers rocked :P

19 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I agree. 

I mean it gave me reason to cast Pink Power Ranger in two sci-fi roles so I'll admit even I got something out of it.

BTW SHE WILL HAVE HER REVENGE @4815162342

• Haha 1