Jandrew

Biggest Surprise of the Decade Is?...

Biggest surprise is?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest surprise is?

3 hours ago, KP1025 said:

@mahnamahna 

No Avatar on your revised list? There was no precedent for it doing nearly as well as it did other than the success of Titanic 12 years earlier.

The James Cameron factor and build-up of buzz for its 3D and visuals put it somewhere in the 26-28 range for me. It's a surprise, but not enough for a top 25 IMO

16 hours ago, a2knet said:

THG is under-rated in it's shock-value. It opened before TA and TDKR in 2012 and made it to 3rd biggest OW of all time and the biggest non-sequel OW of all time.

OW Record As Of March 2012

1. HP8 169.2 2011, sequel
  2. TDK 158.4 2008, sequel
  3. THG 152.5 2012, non-sequel
  4. SM3 151.1 2007, sequel
  5. NEW MOON 142.8 2009, sequel

Yes, it was incredible and higher than all predictions, however several of us here at the time were championing it to make more than any of the Twilight films weeks before release. It didn't just "come out of nowhere" to be a blockbuster unless you weren't reading the signs.

Its a very similar thing to what’s happening with BP now. Most of us have realized for a few weeks now it was going to do a huge 150+ or so on ow, it’s just that most of us didn’t think it would do 200+.

Edited by MovieMan89

Sniper for sure, but not feeling TGS as a huge shock. Sure its legs are a shock, its total gross is only a minor surprise (given that its rubbish). I feel like Jumanji is a bigger surprise, it could so easily have been a complete turkey that struggled to 100M. It  manages to over perform in terms of legs and total gross.

I think Jurassic World is the biggest surprise of the decade (and one of the "WTF? of all time", based on 'small hype' before its premiere, very average reviews & audience opinion, and - in my opinion - it's not a good movie :P). This came out of nowhere. Who tough it would beat Age of Ultron that summer and be THAT huge?! The OW predictions were a little beat over $100 mln, $135 mln maybe, and with every hour it was bigger, and bigger. Eventually JW broke Avengers OW record by a hair! Look at this articles...

http://deadline.com/2015/06/jurassic-world-all-time-box-office-opening-record-tracking-social-media-1201443293/

http://deadline.com/2015/06/jurassic-world-weekend-box-office-spy-entourage-insidious-chapter-3-1201441812/

And this was also the biggest opener in the world! I don't know how it was near you, but in my city/country there was almost zero hype for this! No one has slightly idea what's just happend when it cross $500 mln in just 5 days. JW bought more DOM, OS and WW than both Avengers films - how in the hell this one had so great legs? I've no idea. This is still unbelievable to me. I know this was a sequel of one of the most successful trilogies in history, but still, this is shocker among the shockers.