MCKillswitch123

Which will be the 57th-70th $100+ million DOM OW's AND the 40th-50th 1B WW makers?

So, in case you've been living under a rock since Thursday afternoon, this past weekend was absolutely historic. Black Panther, the 18th entry in the MCU (and a solo entry nonetheless, without any other Avenger to back him up, alas Iron Man in Homecoming or the Hulk in Ragnarok), became only the 5th film in history to cross 200 million for the 3-day opening; and could be headed towards the 2nd or 3rd biggest 4-day OW of all time, only losing out to The Force Awakens and possibly The Last Jedi. A variable of reasons can be attributed: besides the incredible brand trust that can be given to Marvel and their reputation of reliably entertaining superhero blockbusters since 2008, Panther was also the 1st major studio tentpole w/an almost all black cast, and a celebration of not just black people themselves, but also their history, their culture and Africa. It became more than a movie, but a cultural event, for all intents and purposes.

This gigantic megahit, not done in setting history, was also the movie to hit the milestone of being the 50th 100 million+ OW ever in the DOM box office. Here's the full list of 100+ openers (unadjusted for inflation):

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 248 million
  2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 220 million
  3. Jurassic World - 208.8 million
  4. The Avengers - 207.4 million
  5. Black Panther - 201.8 million (estimated as of now)
  6. Avengers: Age Of Ultron - 191.3 million
  7. Captain America: Civil War - 179.1 million
  8. Beauty And The Beast (2017 remake) - 174.8 million
  9. Iron Man 3 - 174.1 million
  10. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 2 - 169.2 million
  11. Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice - 166 million
  12. The Dark Knight Rises - 160.9 million
  13. The Dark Knight - 158.4 million
  14. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 158.1 million
  15. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 155.1 million
  16. The Hunger Games - 152.5 million
  17. Spider-Man 3 - 151.1 million
  18. Furious 7 - 147.2 million
  19. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 146.5 million
  20. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - 142.8 million
  21. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2 - 141.1 million
  22. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1 - 138.1 million
  23. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 135.6 million
  24. Finding Dory - 135.1 million
  25. Suicide Squad - 133.7 million
  26. Deadpool - 132.4 million
  27. Iron Man 2 - 128.1 million
  28. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 1 - 125 million
  29. It - 123.4 million
  30. Thor: Ragnarok - 122.7 million
  31. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 - 121.9 million
  32. Shrek The Third - 121.6 million
  33. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 117 million
  34. Man Of Steel - 116.6 million (~128 million if you count the Walmart stuff)
  35. Alice In Wonderland (2010 remake) - 116.1 million
  36. Minions - 115.7 million
  37. Spider-Man - 114.8 million
  38. Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - 114.7 million
  39. Toy Story 3 - 110.3 million
  40. Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - 109 million (Puerto Rico, though)
  41. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith - 108.4 million
  42. Shrek 2 - 108 million
  43. The Secret Life Of Pets - 104.4 million
  44. The Jungle Book (2016 remake) - 103.26 million
  45. Wonder Woman - 103.25 million
  46. X-Men: The Last Stand - 102.8 million
  47. Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire - 102.68 million
  48. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 - 102.66 million
  49. Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull - 100.1 million
  50. Transformers: Age Of Extinction - 100 million (That yummy fudge, though)

While making 100+ on OW is a lot easier now than it was a decade ago, for obvious reasons, it still doesn't change the fact that ever since 2002, only 50 movies have pulled this feat off. It's not as easy as it looks to make it happen, and it's usually only reserved to the most eye popping of big studio flicks. And this asks the question: what movies are next in line to pull it off?

To make it more challenging, I'm only asking for you guys to guess the 56th to 60th movies to make 100 million OW; since, by now, we all have a decent idea of what #s 51 through 55 are going to be:

• Avengers: Infinity War
  • Deadpool 2
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • The Incredibles 2
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Although, if you do think any of those will actually not be a 100+ opener, feel free to discuss that too, and which movies will be #55, #54 or whatever instead.

Personally, I'm guessing these five:

56. The Grinch - 100-103 million - Illumination, whether we like it or not, is a beast at the box office. While Despicable Me 3 was a bit of a disappointment DOM, I think that comes down to 1) a dilluted marketing campaign, and 2) the audience probably having enough of this franchise, especially after Minions which wasn't a particularly good movie. That being said, DM3 still had whopper legs and made something in the high 200's; while 2016's Secret Life Of Pets is the biggest non-Disney animated film ever released, and Sing was also a pretty big hit. With The Grinch, Illumination is once again knocking in Dr. Seuss' house. The Lorax wasn't a juggernaut by any means, but a 214M gross is pretty respectable; and the 2000 Ron Howard directed live-action adaptation of The Grinch happens to adjust to 441.6 million. Granted, that had Jim Carrey in his peak, but I doubt that gross is just on Carrey alone. This is a beloved story by all generations, and despite Illumination, the fact is that everyone's preferred version of it is the cartoon/animated one. And now we're getting an animated movie for it. Cumberbatch seems like a perfect choice to voice The Grinch; Illumination's marketing is usually very much on point; and the release date is close enough to Christmas that it lets people join in on the holiday spirit. I'm sensing a massive breakout w/this. Low 100's for its opening.

57. Captain Marvel - 100-115 million - Yes, I am going there, baby. I'm predicting it right now: Captain Marvel grosses 100+ OW. Now, for a quick disclaimer: yes, this means that I don't think that anything else in 2018 after The Grinch grosses 100. This includes potential contenders like Fantastic Beasts 2 (80-90 for that), Aquaman (85-95, maybe) and Mary Poppins Returns (this one's a total wildcard, but I'm gonna guess that the 5-day Christmas release is gonna force its 3-day opening under 100). Same for anything else in January and February of 2019. Now as for Captain Marvel, it is worth mentioning that it won't have the same kind of "cultural event" status that both Wonder Woman and Black Panther have benefitted from. WW was the one to benefit from the fact that we hadn't seen any major tentpole superhero flick w/a female lead since the dawn of the golden age of cbm's; not to mention that she's a far more iconic character than Captain Marvel ever was. That being said.... I'm counting on that Disney marketing machine to furiously sell the GA that this is Marvel's big take on a female superhero and a continuation of the newfound trend of diversity in cbm's. The directors' track record incite some confidence in a good product as well. And while by the time we get to March 2019, there had been five other superhero movies in the span of five months, including the female-skewing Silver & Black from Sony, it's easy to say that none of these will have the hype and grandeur that Captain Marvel will have. I say an opening in the 100-115 vincinity.

58. Avengers 4 - 180-200 million - This one is a no-brainer. It's a fucking Avengers movie. Of course it's gonna make at least 100 million. This ain't Justice League :ph34r:. In all seriousness, it's hard to predict what this is going to do without having seen Infinity War or its BO performance. However, it's hard for me to see anything under 180 million for the 3-day at this moment.

59. Aladdin - 140-160 million - Now before any of you thinks that I have gone completely mad here, take notice of the BO track record of Disney's live-action remakes since Alice In Wonderland. Alice had a whopping opening of 116M and a DOM total over 330M.... which should be strongly credited towards the hype and fame of 3D just a few months after Avatar's release (and that movie was still going strong around Alice's opening), but is nevertheless a gigantic accomplishment. Cinderella and Maleficent both had very strong numbers as well. Then came The Jungle Book, which outperformed optimistic expectations w/a 100+ OW and a 360+ DOM total. And finally we got Beauty And The Beast last year, which devoured records w/a stupendous 174/500 performance. These remakes, whether we like them, find them necessary or not, do massive business. And Aladdin is one of Disney's most popular and beloved films of all time. I don't think it will hit BATB numbers tbh, but I see it reaching a 140-160 million range. That's a risk in of itself, as that would be a bigger 3-day opening than the current 4-day record holder for Memorial Day, which is Pirates 3 at 139.8 million. However, Aladdin is an incredibly popular movie and franchise, and although there is controversy surrounding the casting (and dare I say, to a small extent, the political environment today w/muslims and Arabs), I don't think that will stop a big mass of people from at least checking this out, on curiosity's sake alone.

60. The Secret Life Of Pets 2 - 100-105 million - This is a complete 50/50 shot, as I think it's just as easy (probably easier than otherwise) for this to fall under 100. Especially w/Aladdin opening a week prior, and Toy Story 4 two weeks later. But, the original SLOP had amazing wom from the general audience. It outgrossed every previous Illumination flick, including Despicable Me 2; as well as some very well loved animation originals like Inside Out and Zootopia. I doubt that it goes over what the original opened to, since that was just a perfect storm of possibly the greatest marketing campaign of all time for an animated movie + a huge wave of momentum for animated movies at the time, especially those featuring talking animals. But I totally see a possibility of it reaching the range of 104 million that SLOP accomplished. I mean.... SLOP was the 1st movie ever to not be based off of any pre-existing property and still make 100 million OW, and it had great GA wom; how come the sequel would drop under 100 in that case?

Feel free to discuss away your choices.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

I don't think Grinch will hit $100 million OW. It doesn't seem like a film that has enough hype behind it to carry such a large opening, even with Illumination behind it. Even the original Grinch doesn't quite hit $100 million OW adjusted. I think it will do very well but more likely to open on par with other November animation (its 3-day matching their 5-day openings) and leg it to Sing levels or higher.

I agree that everything else in 2018 will probably fall short of $100 million OW.

I think all the other choices you have range from reasonable to locked. I agree that SLOP2 is the only one that could miss it just because the hook isn't as interesting or fresh this time around. People were hyped for the first film because it seemed like Toy Story but with talking pets, something no big-budget animation has attempted before. Other than that, it wasn't a particularly well-liked film judging from audience scores. I could see a drop in OW similar to DM3 from Minions. 

Here would be my list for now.

#56: Captain Marvel- The goodwill from Marvel and the curiosity factor should take it there.

#57: Godzilla: King of Monsters- The first film adjusts to over $100 million OW and although it had mixed reception, the sequel looks to be much more epic and satisfying for fans and GA alike. If they hype up the iconic monsters and the final battle with Ghidorah in trailers, I can see it out-opening the first film. 

#58: Avengers 4 - I can see OW record going down for this one, given it is the final Avengers film.

#59: Aladdin- The original animated film was one of the most popular in the Disney Renaissance. Along with the very popular Broadway show keeping it relevant today, I can see this having a run similar to Beauty and the Beast (if on a smaller scale like you said).

#60: Toy Story 4- It's either this or SLOP2 for my #60, but I'll go with TS4 just to be different. There will have been a longer gap between installments, and Toy Story is still Pixar's most beloved IP. Even though this will probably drop from TS3 (which adjusts to almost $130 million OW), I think the Toy Story brand can still take it over $100 million OW.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I don't think Grinch will hit $100 million OW. It doesn't seem like a film that has enough hype behind it to carry such a large opening, even with Illumination behind it. Even the original Grinch doesn't quite hit $100 million OW adjusted. I think it will do very well but more likely to open on par with other November animation (its 3-day matching their 5-day openings) and leg it to Sing levels or higher.

I agree that everything else in 2018 will probably fall short of $100 million OW.

I think all the other choices you have range from reasonable to locked. I agree that SLOP2 is the only one that could miss it just because the hook isn't as interesting or fresh this time around. People were hyped for the first film because it seemed like Toy Story but with talking pets, something no big-budget animation has attempted before. Other than that, it wasn't a particularly well-liked film judging from audience scores. I could see a drop in OW similar to DM3 from Minions. 

Here would be my list for now.

#56: Captain Marvel- The goodwill from Marvel and the curiosity factor should take it there.

#57: Godzilla: King of Monsters- The first film adjusts to over $100 million OW and although it had mixed reception, the sequel looks to be much more epic and satisfying for fans and GA alike. If they hype up the iconic monsters and the final battle with Ghidorah in trailers, I can see it out-opening the first film. 

#58: Avengers 4 - I can see OW record going down for this one, given it is the final Avengers film.

#59: Aladdin- The original animated film was one of the most popular in the Disney Renaissance. Along with the very popular Broadway show keeping it relevant today, I can see this having a run similar to Beauty and the Beast (if on a smaller scale like you said).

#60: Toy Story 4- It's either this or SLOP2 for my #60, but I'll go with TS4 just to be different. There will have been a longer gap between installments, and Toy Story is still Pixar's most beloved IP. Even though this will probably drop from TS3 (which adjusts to almost $130 million OW), I think the Toy Story brand can still take it over $100 million OW.

Disagree w/SLOP not being a well liked film from audiences. It had insane legs, even for original animation's standards, and if I remember correctly, a lot of GA members seemed to really enjoy it.

Also disagree w/Godzilla 2, as, while I'm hyped for it (even if I'm not the biggest fan of either Godzilla '14 or Skull Island), is still a sequel to a movie that had pretty mixed wom and piss poor legs. I don't see Godzilla 2 coming anywhere near 100M OW, nor do I even see it matching the 1st one. If anything, I expect it to be in the Skull Island range of the 60's area, maybe 70 due to the addition of the new monsters like Mothra and Ghidorah.

Otherwise, pretty much agree or understand your arguments :) Grinch is a bit of a wild guess from my part tbh, as it seems like it could be a big breakout. Although, through the arguments you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if it missed 100 either.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Disagree w/SLOP not being a well liked film from audiences. It had insane legs, even for original animation's standards, and if I remember correctly, a lot of GA members seemed to really enjoy it. 

Also disagree w/Godzilla 2, as, while I'm hyped for it (even if I'm not the biggest fan of either Godzilla '14 or Skull Island), is still a sequel to a movie that had pretty mixed wom and piss poor legs. I don't see Godzilla 2 coming anywhere near 100M OW, nor do I even see it matching the 1st one. If anything, I expect it to be in the Skull Island range of the 60's area, maybe 70 due to the addition of the new monsters like Mothra and Ghidorah

I think the fantastic legs of SLOP can be attributed to its unique and interesting hook. Without the hook, I don't see many people who saw the first film rushing out to see the sequel. Its RT audience score of 62%, while not as bad as Minions, is quite far behind the likes of Pixar, WDAS, or even Illumination's own DM and DM2. The poor audience score of Minions correlated with the box office drop of DM3, so it's possible the same came be said for SLOP and its sequel.

Godzilla 2 is a longshot prediction definitely, but I think there's a slim chance it can do it.

• Like 2

Godzilla is not going to open higher than the first one. The whole thing with the first one was that they ran a really impressive marketing campaign and it blew all expectations out of the water opening weekend. Then it dropped off a cliff because no one actually liked it.

Kong did numbers that Godzilla would normally have gotten, maybe Godzilla 2 can improve on that a little.

To answer the question:

51. Avengers: Infinity War Part 1

52. Deadpool 2

53. Solo: A Star Wars Story

54. The Incredibles 2

55. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

56. Avengers: Infinity War Part 2

57. Spider-Man: Homecoming 2

58. The Lion King

59. Wonder Woman 2

60. Star Wars: Episode IX

Frozen 2 will miss out on 100M weekend because it opens on a Wednesday. Don't see Aladdin or Dumbo doing 100M but Lion King definitely will. 

• Like 1

So I'm gonna be bold here, and say that Solo will miss $100M on its OW. The buzz feels pretty non-existent at this point, and reaction towards the trailer has been meh across the board. It just screams Justice League opening, but with better legs. Sorry @Porthos

55. Captain Marvel: $103M

56. Avengers 4: $187M

57. Aladdin: $115M

58. Spider-Man: Homecoming 2: $128M

59. The Lion King: $180M

60. It: Chapter 2: $111M

For the ones missing, Ant-Man will be coming out right after the $100M OW onslaught, and I don't see people getting that excited for another Ant-Man flick. Should still be set for an opening around the $70M range, and maybe it gets to Dr. Strange/Thor 2 levels. Grinch seems like something that will be more of a leggy hit, as it doesn't seem like a movie that will generate that kind of buzz and hype, especially since there doesn't seem to be as much of a hook as the previous Grinch movie or even SLOP. Fantastic Beasts could maybe do it, but there's a lot of competition in November and December, and I don't think the previous movie got people that excited to see the next movie. But I won't add much more than that, because I know dcasey is going to give me a long-winded rant about how I'm the worst human being alive for daring to say anything remotely negative about a series where a dumb kid wearing dopey glasses plays around with a stick.

Aquaman's coming off of Justice League, he wasn't really considered a fan-favorite from what I can tell, and apparently Atlantis looks like complete shit, so it doesn't really have much going for it. Poppins won't be that big, and its Christmas Day release will hurt its 3-Day. Godzilla 2 is following up a feature the GA didn't like, so I can't see it exceeding or even matching its predecessor's OW, especially with Captain Marvel still playing. It should still do around $70M though. Shazam is a B-tier character who hasn't been in any other DC film, there's no star power, and Captain Marvel will still be around, and families will also have Dragon 3, Dumbo, and Doctor Dolittle. Secret Life of Pets 2 seems like something that will slightly decrease, as it doesn't seem to have stuck in the general consciousness like Despicable Me or Shrek. Nobody asked for a Toy Story 4, and the whole "Woody tries to find Bo Peep" plot sounds like a huge downgrade from the previous films. It'll still make $300M, but it'll open to around Inside Out numbers than reach the heights of TS3, Dory, or Incredibles 2.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

So I'm gonna be bold here, and say that Solo will miss $100M on its OW. The buzz feels pretty non-existent at this point, and reaction towards the trailer has been meh across the board. It just screams Justice League opening, but with better legs. Sorry @Porthos

55. Captain Marvel: $103M

56. Avengers 4: $187M

57. Aladdin: $115M

58. Spider-Man: Homecoming 2: $128M

59. The Lion King: $180M

60. It: Chapter 2: $111M

For the ones missing, Ant-Man will be coming out right after the $100M OW onslaught, and I don't see people getting that excited for another Ant-Man flick. Should still be set for an opening around the $70M range, and maybe it gets to Dr. Strange/Thor 2 levels. Grinch seems like something that will be more of a leggy hit, as it doesn't seem like a movie that will generate that kind of buzz and hype, especially since there doesn't seem to be as much of a hook as the previous Grinch movie or even SLOP. Fantastic Beasts could maybe do it, but there's a lot of competition in November and December, and I don't think the previous movie got people that excited to see the next movie. But I won't add much more than that, because I know dcasey is going to give me a long-winded rant about how I'm the worst human being alive for daring to say anything remotely negative about a series where a dumb kid wearing dopey glasses plays around with a stick.

Aquaman's coming off of Justice League, he wasn't really considered a fan-favorite from what I can tell, and apparently Atlantis looks like complete shit, so it doesn't really have much going for it. Poppins won't be that big, and its Christmas Day release will hurt its 3-Day. Godzilla 2 is following up a feature the GA didn't like, so I can't see it exceeding or even matching its predecessor's OW, especially with Captain Marvel still playing. It should still do around $70M though. Shazam is a B-tier character who hasn't been in any other DC film, there's no star power, and Captain Marvel will still be around, and families will also have Dragon 3, Dumbo, and Doctor Dolittle. Secret Life of Pets 2 seems like something that will slightly decrease, as it doesn't seem to have stuck in the general consciousness like Despicable Me or Shrek. Nobody asked for a Toy Story 4, and the whole "Woody tries to find Bo Peep" plot sounds like a huge downgrade from the previous films. It'll still make $300M, but it'll open to around Inside Out numbers than reach the heights of TS3, Dory, or Incredibles 2.

Atlantis in Aquaman isn't going to anything like the one in JL and they barely showed anything in JL anyway so you can't judge what it's going to be like based on a previous film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what's worth, my takes on the other contenders for 100 in between 2018 and the release of my last prediction (SLOP 2):

- Fantastic Beasts may have had pretty good legs, but I don't think they were great enough legs to warrant a massive DOM increase for the sequel that it opens past 100M+. I could see an increase of around 10-15M, but no more. However, I do expect Beasts 2 to reach 900M WW, possibly 1B.

- Aquaman is coming off Justice League, where he.... wasn't a showstealer by any means. When people talked about Wonder Woman, Spider-Man and Black Panther w/buzz, it's because their debut in those big team up entries was an actual highlight of those films. In regards to JL, The Flash was probably the breakout new character according to the majority of opinions (though I liked Cyborg better myself). Aquaman, though, wasn't really a JL highlight... yeah, he was liked fine enough, but most people seemed to focus on either which jokes were written by Joss Whedon, why did he say out loud that Bruce Wayne was Batman, or just how AWFUL Atlantis and the stupid air bubble looked. And given JL's horrendous performance and how low the DCEU sentiment is right now, it would take miraculous marketing and wom for Aquaman to have 100M+ OW hype. Luckily for them, James Wan is a miracle worker, and his name will definitely sell Aquaman easier than if it were a less known director. However, I can't see an opening bigger than 95M at the moment.

- Mary Poppins Returns, like I and others have said, has a Christmas Day opening week and I think that's gonna take enough demand out of a potential 100M+ 3-day OW. So, yeah, I'm not seeing it reach 100, even if it has enough hype for that.

- Godzilla 2 I've already explained myself above.... it's a sequel to a movie w/very mixed, if not poor wom. Sure, the 1st one made a shit ton of money OW, but that was down to one of WB's greatest marketing campaigns ever. They sold that movie about as perfectly as anyone could. I legit thought that, if the movie lived up to the marketing, it could've hit 1 billion WW. It did about half of that, though, but that was still well enough to warrant a sequel. But now that the 1st one is out, even if WB outdid themselves w/the marketing, it still wouldn't be enough to push it past a 100 OW due to the unstable wom of the original.

- The Shazam predictions are nearly as baffling as Godzilla 2's, imo. W/the DCEU being in big shambles right now, AND w/the massive influx of cbm's in early 2019 (including Captain Marvel, which will still be playing at this point), why would a DCEU origin story about a character who isn't iconic or "culturally important" enough to open over 90 and didn't have any kind of team up movie introduction would have such a massive opening? Don't forget that Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Spider-Man and even Aquaman all had introductions in massive crossover events (BVS, Civil War, Justice League), while Shazam won't have that. Yes, Aquaman could bring people around on the franchise a little bit, and yes, The Rock being in the cast would be a massive boost; but not massive enough that Shazam would open past 100. And this isn't a Deadpool scenario where there absolutely no limits where you could take the marketing campaign with, nor is it a GOTG or Suicide Squad thing where it's an ensemble of new characters rather than just one. At best, low to mid 90's through heavy appeal to children and young teens. More like 80-85, actually.

- Post-SLOP 2, agreed w/SH Homecoming 2, Lion King, It 2, Wonder Woman 2 and Episode IX (obviously). Toy Story 4.... I think it will fall under 100 tbh, as nobody asked for it. The 3rd movie was a perfect ending and there ain't a soul on Earth that needs more of the franchise. It's probably open in the 90-98 range, if I were a betting man. Frozen 2, while "suffering" from a 5-day opening, I actually see it pushing past 100 3-day on the other hand, as I think it has a legit chance to pull a Shrek 2 and absolutely explode on its 1st Friday.

title has changed to 33-40 1B hits.

Deadpool, Solo, and Incredibles 2, will all open to 100M domestic OWs but none of them will reach 1B ww.

There's also a chance a Chinese film could get 1B in China, Wolf Warrior 2 grossed 870M last year so could definitely happen this year. They just had TWO movies open to 150M+ this past weekend. 

33. Black Panther

34. Avengers: Infinity War Part 1

35. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

36. Avengers: Infinity War Part 2

37. The Lion King

38. Frozen 2

39. Star Wars: Episode IX

40. Fast & Furious 9

Seems very odd to think that between two Avengers movies a year apart, there'll only be Jurassic that does 1B, but I can't see anything else that could reach it.

1 minute ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

title has changed to 33-40 1B hits.

Deadpool, Solo, and Incredibles 2, will all open to 100M domestic OWs but none of them will reach 1B ww.

There's also a chance a Chinese film could get 1B in China, Wolf Warrior 2 grossed 870M last year so could definitely happen this year. They just had TWO movies open to 150M+ this past weekend. 

33. Black Panther

34. Avengers: Infinity War Part 1

35. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

36. Avengers: Infinity War Part 2

37. The Lion King

38. Frozen 2

39. Star Wars: Episode IX

40. Fast & Furious 9

Seems very odd to think that between two Avengers movies a year apart, there'll only be Jurassic that does 1B, but I can't see anything else that could reach it.

The sad thing is Jurassic and Fast 9 are the only non Disney movies on there. In fact none are from the other studios outside Disney and Universal.

19 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Fantastic Beasts could maybe do it, but there's a lot of competition in November and December, and I don't think the previous movie got people that excited to see the next movie. But I won't add much more than that, because I know dcasey is going to give me a long-winded rant about how I'm the worst human being alive for daring to say anything remotely negative about a series where a dumb kid wearing dopey glasses plays around with a stick.

tumblr_ohd7d5dhyZ1qlpmyho1_400.gif

You disappoint me.

tumblr_om0plxfgti1rxpq74o2_540.gif

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Dcasey already complained enough about that bit for you :ph34r: 

Oh, he had a deleted reply? I am actually sad to say I missed it; I'd have enjoyed reading it, his deranged rants are always fun.

Also on the actual subject of the thread, I think Fantastic Beasts just might hit 100M OW, it will depend on how the marketing goes I guess.

Shazam is definitely hitting it by the way, for the doubters above. Aquaman probably is too, that's harder to gauge cause of its date though.