grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

15 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Everybody keeps underestimating Jurassic.

It does not matter what kind of reviews it gets, as long as JW:Dominion has the requuired amount of Dinos on the rampage and chasing people, it will make tons of money.

And I am not a big fan of the franchise as a whole; I think the original JP and the first JW were the only fully sastifying movies in the franchise. And even them, JW is not on the same level as JP. I always regretted the decision to lessen the Horror element. probably because they found kids love dinosaurs, and they did want to scare the kids too much.

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It does not matter what kind of reviews it gets, as long as JW:Dominion has the requuired amount of Dinos on the rampage and chasing people, it will make tons of money.

And I am not a big fan of the franchise as a whole; I think the original JP and the first JW were the only fully sastifying movies in the franchise. And even them, JW is not on the same level as JP. I always regretted the decision to lessen the Horror element. probably because they found kids love dinosaurs, and they did want to scare the kids too much.

Jurassic Park never felt like horror. More like tension filled biothriller. If anything JW: FK upped the horror tone the most out of any film in the franchise with references to Nos Feratu in the mansion constructing a Gothic feel different from the previous films.

Edited by Alex SciChannel

Just now, AJG said:

What’s the current foreign reviews saying about this thing? Do we know?

It has 7 reviews up on RT with 86% positive, mostly spanish ones. From what ive read in many other threads here, reception looks to be similar to Fallen Kingdom OS, so mixed.

2 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Jurassic Park never felt like horror. More like tension filled biothriller. If anything JW: FK upped the horror tone the most out of any film in the franchise with references to Nos Feratu in the mansion constructing a Gothic feel different from the previous films.

upped the horror, but only from a heightened ‘it’s just a movie’ stance. 

the original was and remains terrifying because everybody actively acts like you would when faced with literal death mere feet away from you.  In the ‘World’ movies they throw out one liners, and ride on the back of them like at a rodeo.  Which is fine as they jumped the shark a long time ago. 

Jurassic Park is terrifying, the way Jaws was. 

The World movies are to JP what Deep Blue Sea was to Jaws. 

I can still enjoy them fine as they’re as intended, but it’s a million miles away from what the original was. This is why mixing the OG characters with the new crew concerns me.  I don’t want to see the OG characters goofing around.  

Edited by wildphantom

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

It has 7 reviews up on RT with 86% positive, mostly spanish ones. From what ive read in many other threads here, reception looks to be similar to Fallen Kingdom OS, so mixed.

If it’s of FK standard I’ll be fine with that. 

Jurassic Park is in any case a very funny franchise.

What i mean by that is that plot-wise there was no real reason to make a sequel to Jurassic Park (1993). That film existed to prove the point that a dinosaur theme park is a bad idea and that point came across pretty well. But then it spawned a now Six-Film Franchise anyway.

Dont get me wrong, JP along with Godzilla is my personal favourite franchise and apart from JP 3 which can burn in hell i love all the movies. Still though, plot-wise it was clear from Lost World onwards that there isnt much substance. Which imo is not a problem if the movies manage to be fun. Which they are in my opinion!

What i ultimately mean by that is if you want a serious science fiction thriller about a dinosaur theme park that has a great plot then the original movie is there in all its glory. And the rest of the franchise is there for fun dino carnage.

In Vietnam, my friends, including both critics and casual moviegoers, said Dominion was so bad they almost slept through it. VFX was meh. Story was meh. Pacing is slow and boring. Too long. Too much focus on human. Dinosaurs are underwhelming. 

Nostalgia feast for sure, but other things are bad.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282

38 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Jurassic Park is in any case a very funny franchise.

What i mean by that is that plot-wise there was no real reason to make a sequel to Jurassic Park (1993). That film existed to prove the point that a dinosaur theme park is a bad idea and that point came across pretty well. But then it spawned a now Six-Film Franchise anyway.

Dont get me wrong, JP along with Godzilla is my personal favourite franchise and apart from JP 3 which can burn in hell i love all the movies. Still though, plot-wise it was clear from Lost World onwards that there isnt much substance. Which imo is not a problem if the movies manage to be fun. Which they are in my opinion!

What i ultimately mean by that is if you want a serious science fiction thriller about a dinosaur theme park that has a great plot then the original movie is there in all its glory. And the rest of the franchise is there for fun dino carnage.

What do you have against JP3?

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

What do you have against JP3?

Nothing that helps.

Spoiler

In all seriousness, JP3 is more meme-hate from my side than real hate. I just think its not a good movie. I admit i get a bit triggered when i see the Spino kill the T-Rex, but thats a minor factor. My biggest problems are the worthless and very annoying characters of which far too few get eaten, the needless decision to make Alan and Ellie not have a relationship, Alans laughable motivation to agree to get on the island (money again, yay ... such a good motivation) and ultimately, it has nothing to offer what could make it stand out among the other movies. What i do like are the soundtrack, the Pteranodon scenes, the raptors and the Alan Raptor Dream Scene, thats one of the funniest movie moments of all time imo.

Overall, id give it a 5/10. Its not that bad, but i dont love it like all the other JP movies.

There’s two Jurassics to me. The original and the massively underrated sequel. 

The new trilogy is tonally incredibly different for me to consider it even a continuation of what the first two were. The OG’s being in Dominion only invite comparison which I’m not sure it needed, but regardless I get why they’ve done it. 

I’m still hyped though. I’m sure it’ll have some great stuff in it. 

I stopped having unrealistic expectations for them the moment Spielberg walked away from the director’s chair.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

OK I could follow the logic up until this point. This is straight up wrong. If the Park movies are to Jaws the same way World is to the Meg that's more believable.

Was what I was thinking of, then Saffron Burrows appeared in a vision and I got distracted.  I meant exactly that…The Meg

35 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Nothing that helps.

Hide contents

In all seriousness, JP3 is more meme-hate from my side than real hate. I just think its not a good movie. I admit i get a bit triggered when i see the Spino kill the T-Rex, but thats a minor factor. My biggest problems are the worthless and very annoying characters of which far too few get eaten, the needless decision to make Alan and Ellie not have a relationship, Alans laughable motivation to agree to get on the island (money again, yay ... such a good motivation) and ultimately, it has nothing to offer what could make it stand out among the other movies. What i do like are the soundtrack, the Pteranodon scenes, the raptors and the Alan Raptor Dream Scene, thats one of the funniest movie moments of all time imo.

Overall, id give it a 5/10. Its not that bad, but i dont love it like all the other JP movies.

I agree it is probably the worst of the franchise. I'd give it a 6/10 which is lower than JW (7/10) and FK (6.5-7/10) and way lower than the first JP (9.5/10). Don't remember Lost World well enough to judge (and not sure if I've even seen the full movie or just part).

Though I agree with most of your points, I found it to be reasonably entertaining and the Spino helps it stands out, and the fast pace works to its favor.  But I'm surprised there is even a single Jurassic movie that I like more than you do lol. 

• Like 1