WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $400,000,422    56.8%
Foreign:  $304,000,000    43.2%

Worldwide:  $704,000,422  
Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend:  $202,003,951
(#1 rank, 4,020 theaters, $50,250 average)
% of Total Gross:  50.5%
> View All Weekends
Widest Release:  4,020 theaters
In Release:  10 days / 1.4 weeks
The Players

giphy.gif

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What worries me about Black Panthers run isn't the fact people have flocked to see it in America, as far I know it's a great superhero movie. It's how well Infinity War will do that worries me... the better IW does.. the more superhero movies there will be. I'll do what I can to support original films by film-makers but I fear that business plan film-making is becoming more and more prolific.

I'm envisioning a dark world, a horrible place, where cinema only shows superhero movies and everything else is straight to netflix... please will someone save us? There's only one person who can save us... he will and can, god bless his soul.

What the fuck are you talking about?

We are right now at this moment in a domestic marketplace that has given a historic run to The Greatest Showman pushing it to nearly $175m.  Wonder made $130m+ and Pitch Perfect 3 made $100m+.  Murder on the Orient Express made $100m+ and immediately got a sequel.  Daddy's Home 2 made $100m+ and will get another sequel.  Fifty Shades Freed is about to go over $100m.  Jumanji will go $400m+

Three Billboards, Shape of Water and Darkest Hour are all going to go $60m+ on very modest budgets.  Lady Bird will go $50m+ and I, Tonya will go $30m+

Even Insidious: Shitty Sequel made nearly $70m on a $10m budget.  

The box office is alive and well and doesn't need Lil' Jimmy to save it.  

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

We are right now at this moment in a domestic marketplace that has given a historic run to The Greatest Showman pushing it to nearly $175m.  Wonder made $130m+ and Pitch Perfect 3 made $100m+.  Murder on the Orient Express made $100m+ and immediately got a sequel.  Daddy's Home 2 made $100m+ and will get another sequel.  Fifty Shades Freed is about to go over $100m.  Jumanji will go $400m+

Three Billboards, Shape of Water and Darkest Hour are all going to go $60m+ on very modest budgets.  Lady Bird will go $50m+ and I, Tonya will go $30m+

The problem is that with Fox getting bought by Disney 4 of those movies you mentioned would never get made.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, no. Annihilation wasn't groundbreaking at all. Quite predictable if you've seen movies it smushed together. It won't be a loss if it gets annihilated next week. 

It’s good but it’s STALKER-lite. I gave it an extra half star for the bear scene though.

And on top of that outside of IW, BP, AMATW, DP2, and Maybe Aquaman, the rest of the superhero movies this year will do modest business at best.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Curious how much Three Billboards will drop next week with the Blu-Ray coming out on Tuesday. It's impressive as hell that it'll cross 50M

And it's going to do so without the wide release ever generating much steam. If the general public still cared about awards movies as much as they did 15-20 years ago (or if the distributors still cared about getting as many eyeballs on these films as possible), it could have gone much higher.

And I must say that I'm equally impressed that Lady Bird is also near $50 million.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The problem is that with Fox getting bought by Disney 4 of those movies you mentioned would never get made.

Eh, Disney would still make Greatest Showman just cause it's a bright and colorful musical.  Doubtful that the other 3 would've gotten made tho

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

That person would not have been called crazy. More like "you're a fucking deranged lunatic saying saying BP would gross $600 million"

:hahaha:

In other words BKB.  For all his crazy predictions he did call the Avengers over 200m opening weekend. LOL he also managed to get himself banned from the forums on opening weekend so he couldn't even get to celebrate, lol.

I can see Neo predicting 600m without batting an eye.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RRA said:

It’s good but it’s STALKER-lite. I gave it an extra half star for the bear scene though.

Agreed.

It also had no character worth caring about. Everyone was just there with cliche motivations for the mission. I consider Natalie in Black Swan the best performance by an actress ever which is why I was shocked that I didn't care about Lena at all.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

The movie continued to play to an ethnically diverse audience. Caucasians made up a bigger share of ticket buyers this time out, or 37 percent, compared to 35 percent on opening weekend, while the African-American share went from 37 percent to 33 percent, according to comScore/Screen Engine. Hispanics remain unchanged at 18 percent, followed by Asians (7 percent) and Native Americans/Other (5 percent). No other marquee superhero tentpole has played to such a diverse audience.

source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/weekend-box-office-black-panther-scores-record-108m-second-outing-1088212

Diversity is so beautiful.

giphy.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

No need to be so rude as usual Empire, as you know these films all would have made double without the business plan film-making in the way, without the Last Jedi in the way feeding of the nostalgia of masses like money hungry dementors (shout out to the potter gang) Jumanji would have been the one to make $600m. Imagine a world where Disney instead works with big name directors to help them get their vision onto the screens, instead we have what I call backwards film-making, the studio (heartlness) chooses the film then finds a right pieces to complete it.

Big' Jimmy (6ft2 btw) is the only man who can save us.. big budget films with big heart, class meets success, vision meets creativity, talent meets genius, the Avatar saga will revolutionise cinema just as Camerons films before it did.

I know how much it frustrates you all that Star Wars isn't number 1 or 2 so remember this post when Avatar 2 makes $3 billion, and Empire City I want you to be the one to give the latest scoop on the best box office run of all time, it would make me a very happy Jimbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

19 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This gets me mad again at how Sony botched the release of Call me by your name :whosad: