WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the US box office is not completely dominated by sequels and "franchises" at the moment, and by historical standards compared to just 20 years ago? Just because you can list a few original films that didn't flop?

And this gets all the recs. :winomg:

Think the recs are because people's eyes light up when they see a purple name, they go into automatic. That mixed in with the fact people love to hate Jimbo... Thankfully recs are anything but an indication of who is right.

Edited by IronJimbo

54 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

QOTD: What will be the next non Disney/Universal film over $1B?

Hmm with Dumbledore in and Chinese folklore included i could see a chance that FB 2 increases over the original but it could both ways (it decreases) or the increasw won't be that big...

Deadpool 2 is fox right?i think it is a good bet...

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Hmm with Dumbledore in and Chinese folklore included i could see a chance that FB 2 increases over the original but it could both ways (it decreases) or the increasw won't be that big...

Deadpool 2 is fox right?i think it is a good bet...

Deadpool 2 will luck out if it matches GOTG Vol. 2 worldwide.

Only chance it has at 1B is if it actually gets a China release.... and even then it's a question mark.

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

On one hand I agree with Jimbo that A2 is gonna be insane at the Box Office. On the other hand, I do not think he will be too happy when he realizes who the production studio will be

Don't worry I know who it is... luckily Jim is infamous for not listening to studio producers or we could have ourselves another Last Jedi situation where the director gets bossed about by a Disney exec.

28 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I can see right now that the Marvel's BP/IW 2018 combo will be what 2017's DC's WW/JL combo was but on a much bigger scale obviously...

IW  will include BP but still gross considerably less.

I think the ability to not have to have seen other MCU and DCEU films helps play a role in why they’re outgrossing huge team up films. Where 

it’d be easy to get lost if you haven’t seen at least a few or all the previous films. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I can see right now that the Marvel's BP/IW 2018 combo will be what 2017's DC's WW/JL combo was but on a much bigger scale obviously...

IW  will include BP but still gross considerably less.

Except this is happening for the exact opposite reason. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the US box office is not completely dominated by sequels and "franchises" at the moment, and by historical standards compared to just 20 years ago? Just because you can list a few original films that didn't flop?

And this gets all the recs. :winomg:

I think you're talking a little past each other...

Empire's right - there have been a ton of original or adapted movies lately that have been money-makers for their studios - this winter hasn't really seen any of them "flop" and quite a few have done really well...

But most of them are made for modest to tiny budgets, so they don't need much box office revenue to hit their "break even" target...and thus, you are right that they are making up a smaller proportion of overall box office revenue vs the big "franchise" blockbusters (at least compared to 20-30 years ago)...

This is a situation where both of you can be right:)...

• Like 3

$11m  for Annihilation isn't great but considering how the movie was already being downplayed for the international rights going to Netfilx thing, it isn't the worst result either

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Despite what JL was i honestly think it's happenning for the exact same reason...novelty and momentum not being there on the same levels as the solo film of a female protagonist and an african-american lead.

The JL/WW situation happened because JL was the culmination of everything that went wrong for DC. WW made good money but nothing shocking like this. Black Panther is doing what shouldn’t be possible, and IW is going to do great but just won’t be able to match the cultural relevance of BP. Also, IW is going to make more WW, furthering the point that WW/JL happened because JL failed, whereas BP/IW happened because BP succeeded. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm envisioning a dark world, a horrible place, where cinema only shows superhero movies and everything else is straight to netflix...

No superheroes was the number 1 movie domestic since Avenger in 2012, the genre is often not in the world top 3 of the year.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Despite what JL was i honestly think it's happenning for the exact same reason...novelty and momentum not being there on the same levels as the solo film of a female protagonist and an african-american lead.

I agree.

Neither IW nor JL bring any novelty (yeah, yeah...I know that people are saying "but GOTG and Avengers together for the first time!"); I am saying from a larger perspective, it's more novel to finally see a well-made, well-reviewed superhero film starring either a long-overdue-for-solo-cinematic-stardom icon (WW) or a black hero and an all-black cast than a bunch of [mostly white, mostly male] superheroes teaming up to beat another intergalactic baddie that brings another invasion to earth.

Just now, Barnack said:

No superheroes was the number 1 movie domestic since Avenger in 2012, the genre is often not in the world top 3 of the year.

Don't get me started on post Disney buyout toy wars featuring beeb8 and prog.