WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

15 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Despite what JL was i honestly think it's happenning for the exact same reason...novelty and momentum not being there on the same levels as the solo film of a female protagonist and an african-american lead.

Are you serious? IW pretty much topped any movie not named TFA when it comes to hype and momentum. Hell its trailer is the most viewed and liked ever and already 1.5 times the most that TFA ever got. Even its 30 seconds spot pretty much left full JW2, Solo trailers in the dust. 

Just because BP is doing gangbuster business doesnt mean its taking away from IW. In fact it will only add to IW

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The JL/WW situation happened because JL was the culmination of everything that went wrong for DC. WW made good money but nothing shocking like this. Black Panther is doing what shouldn’t be possible, and IW is going to do great but just won’t be able to match the cultural relevance of BP. Also, IW is going to make more WW, furthering the point that WW/JL happened because JL failed, whereas BP/IW happened because BP succeeded. 

WW did not make as much as BP will end up with, but it was a shocking run.

Not only because the DCEU at that point had released nothing but turds, but because Wonder Woman, for all its iconic status in pop culture, was nothing close to a sure thing. Not many people predicted 400 million, I bet, and nobody imagined that it would become such a wom hit with such a fantastic multi.

I personally thought it would flop.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, wasn't expecting that kind of a drop for TGS. 20x will be really tough now. Though is does say something about a movie's run when -32% seems like a "harsh" drop. :lol:

I am confused: If the film opened with 8 million, isnt its 160 million total already a 20 multi?

Just now, Porthos said:

Kill Bill is technically a Disney film, you know.

And I mention this because people tend to forget that Miramax had a Disney relationship for a while, and they distributed some pretty hard R rated films.

On the other hand, I think the real worry shouldn't be what happens in Year One, Year Two, or even Year Five of the upcoming buyout, but Year Seven, Year Nine and Beyond.

What happens if/when Disney decides to go in a different direction?  Right now they clearly want more things available for their streaming service.  But what happens when/if they change their mind for REASONS.

The problem with the Fox buyout isn't that Disney will make/distribute less movies now.  It's that there will be less voices out there to decide to make them in the future.  With "the future" being defined as seven plus years down the road.

On the third hand, nature abhors a vacuum and all that.  If Foxsney refuses to make small budgeted/adult themed films in the medium term future likely someone else will step into the vacated space.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Are you serious? IW pretty much topped any movie not named TFA when it comes to hype and momentum. Hell its trailer is the most viewed and liked ever and already 1.5 times the most that TFA ever got. Even its 30 seconds spot pretty much left full JW2, Solo trailers in the dust. 

Just because BP is doing gangbuster business doesnt mean its taking away from IW. In fact it will only add to IW

I am very curious in regard to IW's second and third weekend and its overall multi. I feel that the hype and momentum will definitely make for a monster OW...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the US box office is not completely dominated by sequels and "franchises" at the moment, and by historical standards compared to just 20 years ago? Just because you can list a few original films that didn't flop?

And this gets all the recs. :winomg:

His post lamented that because of the success of Black Panther and Infinity War the studios would be encouraged to only make superhero movies would be made and the rest goes to Netflix.  

I countered that within the last 3 1/2 months there are roughly 15-20 examples to the contrary (I listed 13 of them but left out stuff like Peter Rabbit, Den of Thieves, etc...), so about 1-2 per week being released that are completely and sometimes wildly profitable mid-level and small level budget films.  

Yes, the big eye popping numbers are going to be owned by Super Hero's and Dinosaurs, but the repeated fallacy that the mid-level and lower level budget stuff is not viable or profitable or being made en masse and released to a healthy market is absurd.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StevenG said:

I am confused: If the film opened with 8 million, isnt its 160 million total already a 20 multi?

It opened with 8.8m. Needs 176 for a 20x. Low 170's seems like where it's headed after this weekend hold, but never underestimate TGS. 176 certainly could still happen. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Trailer views has not helped somethong like FOG.This is not a good measure imo.Do you honestly believe IW will top TFA because it is the moat viewd and liked trailer ever.SM buzz could also be a result of a more vocal fanbase.

I am not saying that there is not novelty around IW but still not at the same lvl as BP and this is why IW will decrease from BP.Sure Thanos is in there but Marvel has already burned off some of this Thanos novelty by keep teasing him.It is of course my opinion and i could very well he worng.I sure hope i am for the sake of the genre.

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

The IW trailer did in one day (nearly) what the BP trailer managed in 8 months and the GotG2 trailer got a terrible view count in comparison to both yet it did nearly $400m BO Dom.

I've given up taking trailer views as indication to BO runs because that IW count would indicate over $2bn Dom.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Trailer views has not helped somethong like FOG.This is not a good measure imo.Do you honestly believe IW will top TFA because it is the moat viewd and liked trailer ever.SM buzz could also be a result of a more vocal fanbase.

I am not saying that there is not novelty around IW but still not at the same lvl as BP and this is why IW will decrease from BP.Sure Thanos is in there but Marvel has already burned off some of this Thanos novelty by keep teasing him.It is of course my opinion and i could very well he worng.I sure hope i am for the sake of the genre.

I never said IW will top TFA simply because it has more trailer views. I was countering your point that IW doesnt have any momentum which is plain wrong. So my point still stands