WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

Complete insanity that its second weekend hold is going to be within 1% of Wonder Woman's after that OW. Remember last summer when we were saying it was complete insanity a 100+ opening CBM was gonna have a sub 45% second weekend hold? Lol, child's play for these Wakandans apparently. 

3.6x is the lowest multi I see at this point. 4x is actually a slight possibility, which gets it over a mind boggling 800m DOM.

29 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Not gonna happen.

It's going to be the biggest EVENT opening of all time, everyone underestimates how much the GA loved Avatar due to constant negativity barrage by nerd culture online. The marketing team full well knows the potential of the film and that $3b worldwide is on the table if they don't fuck it up, they're going to go all out.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

3.6x is the lowest multi I see at this point. 4x is actually a slight possibility, which gets it over a mind boggling 800m DOM.

If Wonder Woman fell short of 4x with summer weekdays, how is this supposed to do it?

36 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Complete insanity that its second weekend hold is going to be within 1% of Wonder Woman's after that OW. Remember last summer when we were saying it was complete insanity a 100+ opening CBM was gonna have a sub 45% second weekend hold? Lol, child's play for these Wakandans apparently. 

If that happens, it may beat Age of Ultron's worldwide gross. :ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

BP needs TFA's multi to match Avatar's 760.5

936.7/249*202 = 759.9

...and outside of Dec that will be very very tough. The coming Mon-Thu for TFA continued to be astronomical.

thinking 640-680 atm

• Like 4

Welp, you can close the 2018 book records right now because Black Panther is taking #1 DOM for damn sure. No chance anything beats it at this point.

We were freaking out over Wonder Woman's run (and rightfully so), and here comes a movie w/the same kind of legs but an opening 2x bigger. Lawd almighty.

However, the worldwide race has gotten much more interesting now. But given Panther's numbers, it seems like Infinity War has the road pretty open for the #1 WW movie of the year spot. Jurassic World remains the only real threat as of now.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Welp, you can close the 2018 book records right now because Black Panther is taking #1 DOM for damn sure. No chance anything beats it at this point.

We were freaking out over Wonder Woman's run (and rightfully so), and here comes a movie w/the same kind of legs but an opening 2x bigger. Lawd almighty.

However, the worldwide race has gotten much more interesting now. But given Panther's numbers, it seems like Infinity War has the road pretty open for the #1 WW movie of the year spot. Jurassic World remains the only real threat as of now.

i think we are badly jumping the gun on that :). same kind of legs mean 202*4=808. let's wait beyond the 10-day period to see if it has legs anywhere close to wondy.

Black Panther dropped under 45% in its second weekend and that is including previews and a holiday boost. I think it is quite likely it will have sub-40% weekend holds going forwards unless for some reason the demand for it just collapses. This is clearly a weekend movie judging from its massive Saturdays and Sundays. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

i think we are badly jumping the gun on that :). same kind of legs mean 202*4=808. let's wait beyond the 10-day period to see if it has legs anywhere close to wondy.

I said "same kind of legs", not "exactly the same". I doubt it actually matches Wondy's 3.99/4x run; especially since that movie had the Summer weekdays helping it out. :P

• Like 1

It's the lack of big competitors that makes a multi anywhere in the 3.6-4x range possible. Sure WW had a weak summer slate to its advantage, but it was still summer. Stuff like Pirates, Transformers, Spiderman, Apes, Dunkirk, and Despicable Me were all in its bulk gross first 2 months. Will BP even have 2 100m+ grossers over the course of its first 2 months? Maybe not. Hell, maybe WiT does as poorly as most here seem to think and it doesn't even have one. The weekend holds for it  throughout all of March will be insane if it had this second weekend hold. 

What are the chances that JWFK beats AIW Asia Pacific (led by China numbers obviously) but looses OS thanks to AIW's strength elsewhere? Cause then, if JWFK beats AIW dom, we can have a case where:

JW wins WW (beats AIW AsiaP and dom; beats BP in a few markets handily)

AIW wins OS (non AsiaP over JW)

BP wins Dom

But that's my wishful thinking being a JW fan. More realistic "each wins something" scenario is:

AIW wins WW (beats JW dom and many markets OS outside of AsiaP)

JW wins OS (thanks to AsiaP)

BP wins Dom

• Like 1

Y'all underestimate Fallen Kingdom's OS chances. The 1st one made 1B OS alone (only the 4th movie to do it, after Titanic, Avatar and Furious 7; followed by Force Awakens and F8 Of The Furious). If this one follows the 1st one's style of massive four-quadrant popcorn entertainment, it could have a better OS hold than any of us think.

That being said, Infinity War could be the 1st superhero movie to hit 1B OS on its own right. Seeing something like 1.45-1.5B for that; JW2 shouldn't be too far off, though, assuming that it lives up to the current expectations and doesn't break out.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 5