WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

These last pages :qotd::hahaha:

Heres the thing: Titanic and Avatar were both worldwide phenomenons - but they were both just one movie. Marvel and Star Wars produce megahit after megahit every year. Disney prints money with them, they drown in it. And when you want to adjust the numbers, pls dont forget that the first SW was a near Titanic-level hit around the globe (re-runs are counted in, the same with Titanics re-release in 2012) while Empires and RotJs combined adjusted worldwide totals touch Avatar easily. So alone with the original SW Trilogy you have movies that stand firm against the Cameron-megahits. And thats without the 14 Billion, that the MCU has brought (unadjusted!) to the table, alongside the 5 Billion that the SW Sequel Trilogy will bring in, alongside the (at minimum) 1,7B that the first two SW-spinoffs will bring in Disneys pockets.

Its not even a contest. Cameron may hold the title of having the biggest single movie ever for the next decade or two, but in raw money, Marvel and SW simply crush their opponents.

And dont come with the Avatar sequels; first, they wont come out in another 200 years and second, (Trigger warning!), none of them will come near the near 3B gross of the first one.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Heres the thing: Titanic and Avatar were both worldwide phenomenons - but they were both just one movie. Marvel and Star Wars produce megahit after megahit every year. Disney prints money with them, they drown in it. And when you want to adjust the numbers, pls dont forget that the first SW was a near Titanic-level hit around the globe (re-runs are counted in, the same with Titanics re-release in 2012) while Empires and RotJs combined adjusted worldwide totals touch Avatar easily. So alone with the original SW Trilogy you have movies that stand firm against the Cameron-megahits. And thats without the 14 Billion, that the MCU has brought (unadjusted!) to the table, alongside the 5 Billion that the SW Sequel Trilogy will bring in, alongside the (at minimum) 1,7B that the first two SW-spinoffs will bring in Disneys pockets.

Its not even a contest. Cameron may hold the title of having the biggest single movie ever for the next decade or two, but in raw money, Marvel and SW simply crush their opponents.

And dont come with the Avatar sequels; first, they wont come out in another 200 years and second, (Trigger warning!), none of them will come near the near 3B gross of the first one.

No they touch Avatar/Titanic on a domestic front but worldwide there is still a large gap. Obviously Disney as a company is raking in more money than 2 james cameron movies, they are a large company afterall. 

And avatar 2 will still top the highest grossing Star Wars movies because it has china on its side. It could drop everywhere and still make over 2b due to china

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Pretty much agree with everything here, as you can't compare a single movie's success to a whole franchise's. The only thing I don't agree with is that last bit. Saying "none of them will come close to 3B" is something simply not true. Yes, it is possible that they don't come to 3B, but you can't deny that there's a possibility that they can reach that height, especially if Cameron can recapture the novelty again. 

I admit, at this point 2B is looking more likely than 3B, but to say that they definitely won't come close to 3B is just lying out your arse.

Edited by feasby007

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm acknowledging Avatar had a high OS gross but outside of that 

BP/Disney's SW are critically and financially superior to Avatar/Snyder/Prequels.

It's like saying Spielberg beats Cameron in areas A, B, and C but not D.

Not sure why Zack Snyder is still in this conversation but:

"Black Panther / Disney's Star Wars are financially superior to Avatar / SW Prequels"

Black Panther: ~650M

Force Awakens: 992M

Rogue One: 555M

Last Jedi: 620M

Total: 2817M

TPM: 829M

AOTC: 491M

ROTS: 544M

Total: 2757M

So.. I guess your four arbitrary movies grossed $50M more than the other four arbitrary movies?

I mean I really dont see what your point is. Until Avatar 2 is out we won't know how strong Avatar really is domestically, but the first one is clearly on the same par as Force Awakens, for whatever that's worth.

2 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

well then I eagerly await the day when I can look at all time adjusted domestic and see that a Marvel movie outgrosses either AVATAR (893M) or TITANIC (1244M). I'm happy to agree that Star Wars is the biggest franchise domestic - it has 5 movies over 800M domestic.

Well ANH and TFA beat Avatar adjusted.

And ANH beat Titanic adjusted so I'm not sure what your bragging about.

Marvel Studio's made a C-list character possibly the 3rd all-time biggest blockbuster (unadjusted) in NA so anything is possible. 

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Don't doubt Jim feasby, 3B is the floor. 

As much as I believe they probably will go over 3B, you can't say there isn't a possibility it falls short. Thus you cannot say 3B is "the floor".

Edited by feasby007
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

As much as I believe they probably will go over 3B, you can't say there isn't a possibility it falls short. Thus you cannot say 3B is "the floor".

Well of course, there's no such thing as a sure thing. I'll hold my hubris until we're after the fact of A2. 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Well ANH and TFA beat Avatar adjusted.

And ANH beat Titanic adjusted so I'm not sure what your bragging about.

Marvel Studio's made a C-list character possibly the 3rd all-time biggest blockbuster (unadjusted) in NA so anything is possible. 

I already said that Star Wars is bigger, 5 movies over 800M no other franchise comes close. 

But you keep talking about Marvel and how they're the biggest franchise. You keep repeating this bizarre claim that Black Panther is a bigger financial success than Avatar, which is just... I dont even know. Black Panther is a great hit in its own right, why do you need to delude yourself into thinking it's the biggest movie of all time?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But it's just one aspect of the critical and financial success argument.

Avatar and titanic are by far the most profitable box office hits too. If we take video games, merchandise and dont average it out then disney is more profitable  (obviously 😂)