aabattery

Yesterday | Musical with Beatles songs | 28th June, 2019 | Directed by Danny Boyle, written by Richard Curtis

10 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Why wouldn't they release it "properly"?

I don't know, seems like there hasn't been any big effort so far marketing the movie. 

It has very decent Trailer Views, but I would assume, that big parts of those clicks come from the UK and Australia. 

Edited by Poseidon

27 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I don't know, seems like there hasn't been any big effort so far marketing the movie. 

It has very decent Trailer Views, but I would assume, that big parts of those clicks come from the UK and Australia. 

Mojo has it listed as wide release. Also it is over 3 weeks away.

Edited by Avatree

I’ve not heard about this movie until I clicked the thread. The trailer has 28 million views and it looks good.

i have no idea how this is just being randomly released like this. There’s no push at all.

2 hours ago, AJG said:

I’ve not heard about this movie until I clicked the thread. The trailer has 28 million views and it looks good.

i have no idea how this is just being randomly released like this. There’s no push at all.

Honestly it feels like the reviews did this in (it's currently yellow on MC and barely fresh on RT). Thought this had breakout potential before they came in but now between that and how quiet the marketing push has been I'm thinking this won't make much more than the $24M gross of 2007's Across the Universe, the last major movie with a soundtrack made up entirely of Beetles covers.

• Like 1

i went to a special screening of this with a buddy of mine. We are both big music fans, and both love Beatles music.

Movie was fun, as expected the music was great. If you've seen any Richard Curtis movies you have a good idea of what is coming. It's a relatively typical Curtis rom-com with exceptional music.

Patel does a nice job as the lead, Lily Collins is adorable and Kate McKinnon as a deranged American music agent is fantastic. 

It's light and fluffy, not too deep, but you come out feeling good. It's a good movie if you aren't looking for something heavy or depressing or full of CGI battles.

I'd actually see it again at some point. I think this could do well in England and its former territories -definitely has that sense of humor, American will be a harder sell. Of course I haven't seen a single commercial for it yet so I don't know how well it is going to be promoted.

• Like 6

On 6/5/2019 at 5:34 AM, filmlover said:

Honestly it feels like the reviews did this in (it's currently yellow on MC and barely fresh on RT). Thought this had breakout potential before they came in but now between that and how quiet the marketing push has been I'm thinking this won't make much more than the $24M gross of 2007's Across the Universe, the last major movie with a soundtrack made up entirely of Beetles covers.

If youtake a closer look, the problem, once again, are male reviewers. Those few women critics rating the movie pretty much all liked it.

So why the hell are they, again and again, sending men to watch a movie, that is targeting women?

That's why I hate RT. It might have been the reason, womens movies got killed off at the BO. 

Even the incredible "About time" is only at 69% with a 6.4 rating. So I think this movie is just doing fine with early previews-

Edited by Poseidon

You know, after the recent box office flops, I'm thinking this film has the chance to perform suprising numbers in the coming weeks, despite the reviews being lower than desited. The marketing is becoming more noticeable as the film geta closer to its release. I'd be willing to suggest it has a chance of grossing more than Annabelle Comes Home.

This is giving me Billy Lynn’s Halftime Walk vibes BO wise at least. Movie from a good director that had a pretty great first trailer (and I initially predicted would be a huge hit) but ends up being a non starter as middling reviews killed it.

Hopefully I’m wrong

When the trailer first came out it most of my friends (not regular movie goers) were sharing it on social media and sounded really excited for it. The comments section were mostly positive. It felt like a fun fresh idea. I also thought it had huge breakout potential.

But now it feels like the initial excitement among my circle of friends has died down and some seem to have forgotten about it (purely anecdotal and may not be reflective of anyone else) which has me worried that this is now going to open poorly.

I feel this is a film that many people want to see but are in no rush to see. "I'll watch it if I have some free time and have a chance or I'll wait for it in streaming."

I really hope the marketing picks up a bit more.

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This is giving me Billy Lynn’s Halftime Walk vibes BO wise at least. Movie from a good director that had a pretty great first trailer (and I initially predicted would be a huge hit) but ends up being a non starter as middling reviews killed it.

Hopefully I’m wrong

I'm feeling a flop too tbh, especially with how rough it's been for movies that are obvious nonstarters this year. A single digits opening and sub-$20M total wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Slambros said:

You know, after the recent box office flops, I'm thinking this film has the chance to perform suprising numbers in the coming weeks, despite the reviews being lower than desited. The marketing is becoming more noticeable as the film geta closer to its release. I'd be willing to suggest it has a chance of grossing more than Annabelle Comes Home.

NFL comes home will most likely make more in his opening day than this movie We're making this entire box office right. There is zero hype and reviews or nothing special.

• Like 1

Super disappointing critical reception for a Boyle film. Maybe he should have stuck with Bond? I guess so much for this being the sleeper hit of the summer. Though it could hold out hope its one of those musicals we've seen lately with huge critical/audience reception divides (i.e. TGS, Aladdin). 

• Like 1