Morieris

The Woman King | Viola Davis, John Boyega | Premiering at TIFF! | Sept. 16, 2022

4 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

There is taking liberties with history and then there is something like this.  This is not pretending the US won WW2 without any help this is pretending that Japan was a good guy in WW2.  That the Rape of Nanjing was a was really a relocation plan to avoid US bombs.  

You do have a point, I think. Read more into it and this is really pushing it. But will look at reviews to see how this is fully handled in the film.

Edited by Menor Reborn

3 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

There is taking liberties with history and then there is something like this.  This is not pretending the US won WW2 without any help this is pretending that Japan was a good guy in WW2.  That the Rape of Nanjing was a was really a relocation plan to avoid US bombs.  

The camp in the movie Life is Beautiful was liberated by Russians in real history but Weinstein forced Benigni to let it being liberated by americans so it could have won the Oscar 🤣

If the movie is good for me is not a problem by the way. 

Every historical american movie with eventsof other countries is always biased on an american perspective. If the movie is good and entertaining is not that big of a problem. 

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

The Dahomey in the time period being depicted where active slave traders going to war in order to kidnap and sell people for the Trans Atlantic slave trade.  That is if they did not keep them to work plantations in order to feed the armies including the group depicted in the movie to steal more people for the slave trade.  Or if they did not sell them they did mass torture of the kidnapped people in human sacrifice. 

Here is a quote from the real life guy that Boyega is playing "The slave trade has been the ruling principle of my people. It is the source of their glory and wealth. Their songs celebrate their victories and the mother lulls the child to sleep with notes of triumph over an enemy reduced to slavery."

And I am not sure how much I want to touch the 3rd rail of that is the Directors and writers of this movie.  If this movie did not have Yasss queen it would be movie non grata by the very same people. 

I'll look it up, but assuming you're right...yikes. Won't affect how I feel about the film, but it'll certainly be one of the biggest historical maladies in Hollywood history. 

I have read a long thread on twitter by an african historian and he wrote some of the characters the movie is going to idealize where kinda of really negative figures. 

And this is reduce the history of Africa to the "Blacks Vs whites" (something appealing to americans) when Africa history is a lot more complex than just that. . 

I can't judge cause i don't know Africa history so much but in hollywood prospective this movie seems really something new and fresh, and still for a lot of people can be a first step to know and get into african history and culture. 

On 7/9/2022 at 5:26 PM, vale9001 said:

I have read a long thread on twitter by an african historian and he wrote some of the characters the movie is going to idealize where kinda of really negative figures. 

And this is reduce the history of Africa to the "Blacks Vs whites" (something appealing to americans) when Africa history is a lot more complex than just that. . 

I can't judge cause i don't know Africa history so much but in hollywood prospective this movie seems really something new and fresh, and still for a lot of people can be a first step to know and get into african history and culture. 

Or better yet, you cannot judge because you have not seen the fucking movie yet. Elon Musk is so right about social media being the downfall of the planet                                                                           

Looks interesting and like it will be an entertaining romp. The relatively untouched history of Africa as a setting for films of this kind will definitely help. It is very fertile ground for historical epics of both the fairly accurate and the artistic license kind.

All I hope is that anyone who complains about anything problematic, propagandaic or history revisory better have a clean cabinet when it comes to previous comments on films like Braveheart.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:23 PM, jimisawesome said:

Mate, Mel Gibson portrayed armies from hundreds of years apart fighting against each other, changed the nationality of the combatants, shagged a 4 year old French princess, portrayed complex historical battles as one-sided ROFLstomps, and produced deceptive propaganda that has fuelled jingoistic nationalist factionalism based on humbug for two and half decades and Hollywood couldn't bung him Oscars fast enough.

I don't think they're afraid of "something like this".

Yea I saw some comments about the real history this movie is based off of and... yea the history buff in me goes “eeeek yea that’s rough”. But as a movie it looks entertaining as hell.

I guess same with Braveheart lol.

If the reports I've seen about the story are true, this goes way beyond Braveheart levels of inaccuracy.

Spoiler

From what I have read, they are going to be presented as a group fighting against slavery.  In reality, they were the exact opposite, fighting to continue their kingdom's slave economy.  That is like a movie about the American Civil War presenting Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia not merely as good guys, but as a force trying to end slavery.

I will wait to reserve judgement until the movie actually comes out as pre-release leaks are unreliable, but right now I am not optimistic.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Mate, Mel Gibson portrayed armies from hundreds of years apart fighting against each other, changed the nationality of the combatants, shagged a 4 year old French princess, portrayed complex historical battles as one-sided ROFLstomps, and produced deceptive propaganda that has fuelled jingoistic nationalist factionalism based on humbug for two and half decades and Hollywood couldn't bung him Oscars fast enough.

I don't think they're afraid of "something like this".

Even the Patriots disgusting rewrite of history pals in comparison to making people that had a special tree they made their enslaved captures walk around so they would forgot about their kidnapping before being sold off to likely the Caribbean to die the good guys fighting to end slavery.  Yes, they had a special tree and ceremony so those they capture would forgot who to blame because the 

Dahomey where under no illusions on the pure hell the people they captured where about to face.

I just cant wait for the part of the movie where our heroes sacrifice the slaves they kept for themselves in order to win a battle against the French who are defending a group of mostly run away slaves from Dahomey.

Showtimes were up for this next Thursday, pretty wide release, it was playing in most markets I was looking at.

But this morning, every single showtime has been pulled. I don’t see it listed anywhere (BC, Canada). This isn’t going to be another Moonfall situation, is it?