Alli

Weekend Thread | Estimates per BOM ~ BP 65.7M, RS 17M, DW 13M, GN 10.7M, PR 10M, ANL 5.65M, J:WTTJ 4.5M, FSF 3.3M, TGS 2.68M

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

ByDeluxe times w/out credits and attachments for next week:

Gringo: 1:43. Attached is I Feel Pretty and Adrift.

Thoroughbreds: 1:26. Attached is Tully and Hereditary.

The others haven't been uploaded yet.

STX is playing it smart attaching two of its own films. But I'm excited to see how Adrift looks.

Not many people will see Thoroughbreds but I'm sure the people who do see it will appreciate those trailers.

• Like 1

650k too much for Death Wish. And yes I know I've said that a bunch but Marvel/DC/Star Wars fans post 50 times and identify with that movement. I identify as an anti-Death Wish fan. That's my vested rooting interest: Death Wish failing on every level.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

From BOM:

Fox's Red Sparrow brought in $1.2 million from Thursday night previews last night. While preview screenings don't necessarily foreshadow a film's overall weekend performance, this could be an early indication of an opening that falls below expectation as it is shy of both the $1.8 million Ghost in the Shellbrought in before opening with $18.7 million and the $1.52 million for Atomic Blonde ahead of its $18.3 million debut.

MGM's Death Wish kicked off its opening weekend with $650,000 from Thursday 7 PM previews from ~2,250 screens. Again using comparisons from our preview below, this is slightly behind the $775k for The Foreigner, the $915k for American Assassin and the $870k for John Wick.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

650k too much for Death Wish. And yes I know I've said that a bunch but Marvel/DC/Star Wars fans post 50 times and identify with that movement. I identify as an anti-Death Wish fan. That's my vested rooting interest: Death Wish failing on every level.

It's probably going to collapse next week and not make a profit WW, so it'll fail at the very least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

From BOM:

Fox's Red Sparrow brought in $1.2 million from Thursday night previews last night. While preview screenings don't necessarily foreshadow a film's overall weekend performance, this could be an early indication of an opening that falls below expectation as it is shy of both the $1.8 million Ghost in the Shellbrought in before opening with $18.7 million and the $1.52 million for Atomic Blonde ahead of its $18.3 million debut.

MGM's Death Wish kicked off its opening weekend with $650,000 from Thursday 7 PM previews from ~2,250 screens. Again using comparisons from our preview below, this is slightly behind the $775k for The Foreigner, the $915k for American Assassin and the $870k for John Wick.

:wintf:

Ghost in the shell was uber frontloaded...(it had worse legs than mother!) and Atomic Blonde was a summer release. Next.

Edited by XO21
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Death Wish budget $30M

Red Sparrow budget $69M

(Both from BOM)

This will be the 1st weekend since 2017 that the wide openers might be "iffy" for breaking even...it's been a very good run for the mid-openers so far in 2018 - we'll see if the weekend picks up and can help them both keep the streak going...

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Luckily it'll be making a swift exit.

I would be shocked if Death Wish dropped less than 60% next week tbh. American Assassin and The Foreigner dropped in the high-50s against direct competition for the former and 5 new wide releases for the latter; Death Wish has a mix of those plus the worst reviews and no metro appeal at all.

Edited by WrathOfHan

@Blank Panther am I out of the sunken place yet?

8:

Red Sparrow (Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Blade Runner 2049, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Commuter, I, Tonya, The Post, The Shape of Water, Annihilation)

6:

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blade Runner, Geostorm, Thank You for Your Service, Thor: Ragnarok, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Annihilation)

5:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Downsizing, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

Isle of Dogs (The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Downsizing, Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water, Black Panther)

A Quiet Place (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Downsizing, Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water, Annihilation)

Sicario 2: Soldado (All the Money in the World, Molly’s Game, The Commuter, Phantom Thread, Annihilation)

4:

Death Wish (Detroit, It, American Assassin, The Commuter)

Ready Player One (It, Blade Runner 2049, Justice League, Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

Sherlock Gnomes (Coco, Wonder, The Greatest Showman, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

3:

Rampage (Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, The Shape of Water, Annihilation)

Tomb Raider (Geostorm, Justice League, Black Panther)

A Wrinkle in Time (Valerian, Murder on the Orient Express, Coco)

2:

7 Days in Entebbe (Darkest Hour, Phantom Thread)

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

Avengers: Infinity War (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Downsizing)

Gringo (Molly’s Game, The Commuter)

Incredibles 2 (Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Black Panther)

Love, Simon (The Greatest Showman, The Post)

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (The Greatest Showman, The Post)

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (Black Panther, Annihilation)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

Tully (The Post, Phantom Thread)

Untitled Deadpool Sequel (Justice League, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

1:

Spoiler

Acrimony (The Commuter)

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Black Panther)

Blockers (Downsizing)

The Current War (Wind River)

Duck Duck Goose (Ninjago)

Hereditary (Annihilation)

The Miracle Season (Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (The Greatest Showman)

Ocean’s 8 (The Greatest Showman)

The Party (Lady Bird)

Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero (Wonder)

Smallfoot (Coco)

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Black Panther)

Super Troopers 2 (Kingsman)

Uncle Drew (Annihilation)

Venom (Black Panther)

• Like 1

I feel like thats pretty good and sets Sparrow up well for a 20m weekend. March plays slightly different than the other comps and as others noted, Ghost in the Shell is NOT a good comp to use at all given the frontloaded nature of the fan-rush.

Death Wish - well, it's getting it's wish?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Out of curiosity, why do you root against the movie? Because its a lazy remake or because of the subject matter?

Edit: If theres something else i dont know about Death Wish, i havent followed its production at all.

Edited by Brainbug

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Out of curiosity, why do you root against the movie? Because its a lazy remake or because of the subject matter?

Because its fascist propaganda. It's openly racist and encourages more violence and carnage. It's everything wrong with our country distilled into a two hour movie. It preaches an evil ideology.

The first one is even worse, btw. I ain't one of the people that call it a classic or anything like that.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1