Alli

Weekend Thread | Estimates per BOM ~ BP 65.7M, RS 17M, DW 13M, GN 10.7M, PR 10M, ANL 5.65M, J:WTTJ 4.5M, FSF 3.3M, TGS 2.68M

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

Likely just a lack of attention in the thread would be my guess. The numbers are remarkably huge for a third weekend but overall the weekend still felt minor.

Why? Isn't this forum interested in following big box office runs while they happen?

1 minute ago, Talkie said:

Why? Isn't this forum interested in following big box office runs while they happen?

LOL Its a Marvel movie. Tele throwing his usual subtle shade, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Talkie said:

I don't have an answer. Probably a combination of a lot of energy getting poured into BP's first two weekends, while its performance this time was very strong but not off-the-charts strong like the first two. And of course the Oscars probably took up a bunch of attention yesterday as well. Personally I didn't even know the weekend estimates until yesterday afternoon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Probably a combination of a lot of energy getting poured into BP's first two weekends, while its performance this time was very strong but not off-the-charts strong like the first two.

BP is going to have the 3rd biggest 3rd weekend of all time and 4th biggest 3rd weekend of all time when adjusted for 2018's average ticket price. I think that comfortably qualifies for off the charts strong performance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MaxAggressor said:

BP is going to have the 3rd biggest 3rd weekend of all time and 4th biggest 3rd weekend of all time when adjusted for 2018's average ticket price. I think that comfortably qualifies for off the charts strong performance.

For sure. But for all of that, Friday numbers came in at (or even slightly below) expectations (which were probably too high to begin with). So I think there was a whiff of disappointment even though that was entirely unwarranted. The Saturday/Sunday numbers were actually a bit better than I expected but I'm not sure people were following it that closely.

I dunno. All this is just me guessing. :lol: 

Just now, grey ghost said:

Did Tele Jr like it or are you hiding good Marvel movies so he doesn't drag you to all of them? :apocalypse:

He.... did like it. :thinking: 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

I don't think Tele is saying it's unimpressive in anyway, but the thread has been quieter than the last few, hence the muted thing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

For sure. But for all of that, Friday numbers came in at (or even slightly below) expectations (which were probably too high to begin with). So I think there was a whiff of disappointment even though that was entirely unwarranted. The Saturday/Sunday numbers were actually a bit better than I expected but I'm not sure people were following it that closely.

I dunno. All this is just me guessing. :lol: 

He.... did like it. :thinking: 

So I guess you'll be pre-ordering tickets for Infinity War and Ant-Man 2. :hahaha:

• Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

i think it's about expectations. after the ow shock of 200+ and the 110+ surprise hold (mojo's 120 weekend prediction fell far wrong at first but it did manage 111+), folks increased their expectations to 60-70 for the 3rd weekend. that's why it seems less off the charts. again 40+ will be expected next weekend (-40% from 66 or better) so will feel less epic even though it's a huge number for 4th weekend.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

IW.... oh goodness no. :rofl: 

AM2... might see it. (Haven't seen the first one yet, though).

There are no comic book nerds in the extended family to take him to IW?

Every kid needs to see Spidey + BP + Avengers vs Thanos.

Missing out on those leaves holes in the storytelling which can be traumatic.

I think I read that in Psychology Today. :ph34r:

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There are no comic book nerds in the extended family to take him to IW?

Nope. :lol: 

He can watch it himself later. (Honestly it'll probably be a bit much for him in theaters -- he still gets pretty squirrelly with live-action movies.)

• Like 1