grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Shape winning Best Picture and Hawkins losing Actress makes me a bit sad since Hawkins was my second favorite performance of the entire year behind Chalamet. But who can argue against Frances Motherfuckin' McDormand having two Best Actress Oscars?

I wanted the Hawkins win even more than Del Toro or BP. A huge shame she was so snubbed this awards season. She was better than McDormand and McDormand already had her Oscar and plenty of accolades in the industry. 

4 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Even that is heavily disputed as a horror movie.

But it is. Roger Ebert said it best: 

The notion of the beauty and the beast is of course central to horror stories, but, watching "The Silence of the Lambs" for the second time, I began to wonder if the author of the original novel, Thomas Harris, had started the project by jotting down a list of the great universal phobias and dreads. Here is a movie involving not only cannibalism and the skinning of people, but also kidnapping, being trapped in the bottom of a well, decomposing corpses, large insects, being lost in the dark, being tracked by someone you cannot see, not being able to get people to believe you, creatures who jump from the shadows, people who know your deepest secrets, doors that slam shut behind you, beheadings, bizarre sexual perversions, and being a short woman in an elevator full of tall men.

Just now, Killimano3 said:

lot of good winners this year but was it just me or was this the most humorless, blandest, least interesting ceremony

Eh, I'd argue the NPH year was easily the worst Oscar ceremony in the last several years (that shit was even more painful than Franco/Hathaway). If anything, it was more energetic than I thought it would be given the scandals that have rocked the industry the past few months.

I was at a friend's house earlier, so I couldn't post but yeah to the The Shape of Water's win. My favorite film of the year, and possibly my favorite best picture win of the best decade. Also really liked Get's Out screenplay win.

Also the SAG ensemble stat is dead. Huzzah to that. 

• Like 2