The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

Yup, it's time for this list to pop back up again for its bi-annual rotation!  I'm mostly just trying to get this thread up so everyone has the two deadlines well in advance in order to make their full lists.  Feel free to post FYCs and such within this thread!

The Rules

1. Create a list of your 100 favorite movies, ranked, and send them to me by pm.  They must be sent by pm in order to be counted, I won't count lists just posted in this thread.

2. If you notice, there's a hard deadline and a soft deadline.  Once the soft deadline is past you are NOT allowed to edit the ballot you send me.  If you're worried about seeing movies on time, just know you are getting 2 months to watch movies.  If there was a movie you felt like you just had to see before sending in the ballot, you have ample time to do so.

3. Due to survey results from last month, and feedback from the list two years ago, 2018 movies are ineligible for this list.  There's plenty of other quality movies released during the last 100 years you can fit onto your list that aren't Black Panther, it's okay.

4. When you submit your list, you can write out a reason why you chose a movie in your top 10 and I may feature it on the actual countdown (assuming the movie makes the cut).

5. The scoring will be done like this

Number 1: 10 Points

2 through 3: 9 Points

4 through 5: 8 Points

6 through 10: 7 points

11 through 15: 6 Points

16 through 25: 5 Points

26 through 35: 4 Points

36 through 50: 3 Points

51 through 75: 2 Point

76 through 100: 1 Point

Movies will first be ranked by points, if they're tied by points then that tie will be broken by which movie has the movie is on the most lists, if that is tied then it'll go to the movie with the most number 1 picks, then 2 picks, and so on.  In other words, there won't be a tie.

I'll add the previous lists to the main thread tomorrow at some point!

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 14

I dig the division of the 100 into so many sections (I suggested it in the survey actually) but hope assigning the points like that doesn't lead to too many movies getting tied by points. Seems like it's gonna be very close.

17 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

what is the reason for not including 2018 movies? Not that I'm going to have any myself, but I mean if a movie has been seen, why can't it be on someone's "of all time" list.

So that Infinity War doesn't make the list.

• Thanks 1

If God's Not Dead 3, or... Pacific Rim 2 or Super Troopers 2 or. like, Rampage, turns out to be the greatest movie of all time though, I'm gonna be pissed that I can't put them on my list.

I have been watching a lot of older films recently so my list is going to look very different than the last time. There are more films I need to see still, but amongst the new films I'm definitely going to have there are 3 Hitchcock films, 3 David Lean, 3 Coen's, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, The Shawshank Redemption, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan.

At the time we did the last list I hadn't seen half of the films, but now I'm down to 9 left to see.

Oh, and @baumer will be pleased to know that Prometheus is gone from my list. I watched the entire Alien franchise recently, and while I still like Prometheus, it's not top 100 worthy.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 6

1)  Groundhog Day
2) Edge of Tomorrow
3) Robocop 
4) Predator
5) The Truman Show  
6) Deadpool  
7) The Matrix 
8) Get Out
9) Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
10) City of God 
11) Pan's Labyrinth 
12) Training Day
13) V for Vendetta
14) Braveheart 
15) One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest 
16) Se7en 
18) Goodfellas 
20) Fight Club 
21) Ex Machina
22) Schindler's List 
23) Trainspotting
24) Inglorious Basterds
25) Hanna
26) Good Will Hunting 
27) Logan
28) Fargo 
29) Donnie Darko
30) Pulp Fiction
31) Ghostbusters
32) Saving Private Ryan 
33) Dredd
34) Blue Brothers 
35) Scarface 
36) The Game
37) The Godfather
38) Full Metal Jacket
39) The Usual Suspects
40) Apocalypse Now
41) Shawshank Redemption 
42) Raider of the Lost Ark  
43) Waking Life
44) Children of Men 
45) Forrest Gump 
46) Starship Troopers
47) The Princess Bride
48) It's A Wonderful Life
49) Sin City
50) City of Angels 
51) The Usual Suspects
52) Her
53) Aladdin 
54) Silence of the Lambs
55) The Good The Bad The Ugly 
56) The Thing (1982)
57) To Kill A Mockingbird
58) The Sound of Music
59) The Big Lebowski
60) Unforgiven
61) Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
62) Raising Arizona 
63) Rain Man 
64) Office Space
65) Coming to America
66) The Breakfast Club
67) Big Trouble In Little China
68) Gremilins 
69) They Live
70) Die Hard
71) The Godfather pt. 2 
72) Ghost
73) Back to the Future 
74) American Beauty 
75) Batman (89) 
77) The Fly 
78) Gattaca  
79) Bram Stroker's Dracula
80) Artificial Intelligence 
81) Superman The Movie
82) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
83) Winter Soldier
84) Lost Boys 
85) Jacobs Ladder
86) Joy Luck Club 
87) Ben Hur
88) Fog of War
89) Ratatoullie
90) T2 Judgment Day
91) Fantastic Planet 
92) Pee Wee's Big Adventure 
93) Drive 
94) Beetlejuice 
95) Idiocracy
96) Dumb and Dumber
97) Return of the Jedi
98) The Terminator
99) Pinocchio (Disney classic)
100) Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I dig the division of the 100 into so many sections (I suggested it in the survey actually) but hope assigning the points like that doesn't lead to too many movies getting tied by points. Seems like it's gonna be very close.

There shouldn’t be ties, simply because it’s a multiple pronged approach

1. Point Total

2. If points tie, then you go to which movie was on the most lists

3. If that ties, then you go to the movie with the most number 1 votes, then most number 2, etc. 

It makes it where the only way two movies can tie is if they’re literally placed on the exact number of lists in the exact same order, which would likely have to require major coordination from everyone on the forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

what is the reason for not including 2018 movies? Not that I'm going to have any myself, but I mean if a movie has been seen, why can't it be on someone's "of all time" list.

I don’t want to say just safeguards against Infinity War, but it’s Civil War making like 95 on the list two years ago that inspired the rule.

The main reason that was an issue is Civil War came out a week prior to the deadline or so, people were still fresh and hot on it, so it snuck in from a small group of fans just here for its run who all placed it collectively at #1.  Later in the year Civil War barely even made the top 25 of 2016 list.  So either we should expect a lot of 2016 movies on here, or Civil War being on the list doesn’t really show the forums collective opinion on the movie.

Anyways, I didn’t just make the rule from my judgement.  It was probably the biggest complaint two years ago, and when I posted the survey for feedback I think over 70% of the respondents or so didn’t want 2018 movies to be eligible.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, The Mad Panda said:

I don’t want to say just safeguards against Infinity War, but it’s Civil War making like 95 on the list two years ago that inspired the rule.

The main reason that was an issue is Civil War came out a week prior to the deadline or so, people were still fresh and hot on it, so it snuck in from a small group of fans just here for its run who all placed it collectively at #1.  Later in the year Civil War barely even made the top 25 of 2016 list.  So either we should expect a lot of 2016 movies on here, or Civil War being on the list doesn’t really show the forums collective opinion on the movie.

Anyways, I didn’t just make the rule from my judgement.  It was probably the biggest complaint two years ago, and when I posted the survey for feedback I think over 70% of the respondents or so didn’t want 2018 movies to be eligible.

yeah I get that but who are you to say Civil War is not the best movie ever? People should be able to vote for whatever they want, for whatever reason, imo. But I will bow down to the majority if you say most people voted for it. I appreciated the survey btw, I liked being able to have input :) 

• Like 1

I agree with @The Mad Panda Recent films have the advantage of the emotion of fans, even more in a place like this, where many people are many times blinded with their favorite sagas (myself included). Right now there is a feeling of absolute love to Black Panther, and the hype around Infinity War can make to include it on the list. I do not say that those are or will be superb films, but I think that the time perspective is important to make this kind of lists.

Civil War was over Winter Soldier in the last list. We will check this year if Civil War is one of the best films ever or if initial emotion has gone. I would bet on Winter Soldier finishing in a better place than Civil War.

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

Civil War was over Winter Soldier in the last list. We will check this year if Civil War is one of the best films ever or if initial emotion has gone. I would bet on Winter Soldier finishing in a better place than Civil War.

Well hopefully neither is anywhere near the list this time.

• Like 1