The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Define troll. Then please provide evidence that I match that definition. Until then you're talking nonsense (don't worry I know you won't - I just want it known that I find your claims libelous, and patently false).  

No need to prove anything. You already know it.

I personally think ranking movies literally by their box office performance is a ridiculous and stupid way of measuring your "favourite films", but that's just my opinion, and Scholar is entitled to his opinion too. 

I personally have The Room at #1 and some people might call me a troll for that but it's my list, my opinion, I don't see anyone else being forced to justify their choices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Define troll. Then please provide evidence that I match that definition. Until then you're talking nonsense (don't worry I know you won't - I just want it known that I find your claims libelous, and patently false).  

6ixu7p.jpg&key=acf5f7c98df4bd036580ba5c3

• Haha 9

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

False equivalence - I was actively engaged and was the topic of discussion. Not that I expect a person who responds to a comment with a 'meme' to show any cognitive rigor. 

Bit rich coming from the guy who constantly writes like he has the 'Logical Fallacies' page from TV Tropes bookmarked at all times.

• Like 2

Just now, rukaio101 said:

Bit rich coming from the guy who constantly writes like he has the 'Logical Fallacies' page from TV Tropes bookmarked at all times.

Ad hominem! I'm sorry you have such a problem with a person who prefers logical communication to whatever system you might prefer (I'd actually be interested to know what exactly it is, if it does exist, always looking to learn more). 

Also causing me to despair that your recourse to logical fallacies is 'TV Tropes', is that where people get their modern education in basic critical thinking principles now? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

This is like a preview of the future in which we'll be arguing with robots about these things. 

Future? You're suggesting the Jimboys are not AI created by Jim Cameron himself?

This IS skynet.

Edited by Tree
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Ad hominem! I'm sorry you have such a problem with a person who prefers logical communication to whatever system you might prefer (I'd actually be interested to know what exactly it is, if it does exist, always looking to learn more). 

Also causing me to despair that your recourse to logical fallacies is 'TV Tropes', is that where people get their modern education in basic critical thinking principles now? 

Not for nothing, but this made me laugh way more than I should. If only because I was literally just thinking 'I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't accused anyone of 'ad hominem' yet' before I read it. That's how predictable you are, mate.

Also, I brought up TV Tropes' Logical Fallacies pages not because I think it's a good example of 'basic critical thinking principles' but because it's representative of the shallow way in which you write this crap. Using scholary sounding terms that probably sound impressive to you, but ignoring the context, deeper meanings and the fact that those 'logical fallacies' don't really mean shit in real life anyway. You're clearly trying to use these terms to look smarter and more well educated, but the clumsy way in which you do so means you honestly end up looking even stupider to people who actually know what they're talking about.

Also, its not even ad hominem anyway, because the entire point of this discussion was about whether or not your list (and by extension you) was just a troll. In that regard, pointing out your trollish behaviour and the flaws in your persona/presentation is entirely relevant to the discussion at hand. So suck it up, Descartes.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If you want to arbitrarily exclude my list go for it, it tells me far more about you and the nature of this forum (dissenting and opposing opinions are squashed) than it does me. 

The most important aspect of movies to me is Box Office, and it is by that measure that I weigh my "favorite" movies. 

I hope you will force everyone else to similarly justify their choices based on your purely arbitrary disagreement of my decision process. It's a brilliant precedent to set. 

There’s a less than 0% chance that was your actual opinion.  Stop trying to justify your bullshit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

or not your list (and by extension you) was just a troll

Moving the goal posts. As for the rest of your banal drivel, it really doesn't matter to me, you can think of me what you want, you've done nothing to counter the point I originally made, which is the very definition of ad hominem. I won't comment on your patent misunderstanding (or purposeful misrepresentation - I like to always use Hanlon's razor in this kind of situation) of the fallacy itself because again, it doesn't matter. 

I said it earlier in the thread to another poster, but I fully acknowledge and appreciate that my point won't be engaged with, and that's fine, it's the nature of this particular forum I suppose. 

And as for the Descartes comment, please, at least use someone other than RD, the man has in my opinion done more intellectual damage to the western world than perhaps anyone except Marx. I'd much prefer a Popper, Ryle, or hell, even a Dennett if you want to use a common one. 

14 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

There’s a less than 0% chance that was your actual opinion.  Stop trying to justify your bullshit.

False. It is in fact my opinion. I, unlike most of you however base my opinion on certain facts, just because an opinion doesn't have to be based on evidence shouldn't prevent anyone from doing so. If you'd like to prove otherwise though, be my guest. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If you want to arbitrarily exclude my list go for it, it tells me far more about you and the nature of this forum (dissenting and opposing opinions are squashed) than it does me. 

The most important aspect of movies to me is Box Office, and it is by that measure that I weigh my "favorite" movies. 

I hope you will force everyone else to similarly justify their choices based on your purely arbitrary disagreement of my decision process. It's a brilliant precedent to set. 

But you literally didn't put any thought into your list.  You just copied the top 100 list.  How can we possibly take that seriously?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

False. It is in fact my opinion. I, unlike most of you however base my opinion on certain facts, just because an opinion doesn't have to be based on evidence shouldn't prevent anyone from doing so. If you'd like to prove otherwise though, be my guest. 

Gotcha.  May I ask for you to explain why you love Beauty and the Beast (2017)?

@That One Guy

Is your lit legit?  Is that the one submitted?  It looks like you have a lot of horrible movies (imo) on the list.  Did you really like Tammy enough to have it in your top 100?

Just now, baumer said:

@That One Guy

Is your lit legit?  Is that the one submitted?  It looks like you have a lot of horrible movies (imo) on the list.  Did you really like Tammy enough to have it in your top 100?

no I didn’t submit it lol.  It was a dumb joke list I made at like midnight because I was bored

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

But you literally didn't put any thought into your list.

Not true. I've spent literally years reading books like Conjectures and Refutations, The Logic of Scientific Discovery, Theory and Reality, Philosophical Investigations, Reasons and Persons, and Language, Truth and Logic to name but a few. 

I didn't just randomly grab this view out of the air, which is why I find the label 'troll' to be libel. I sincerely and fundamentally believe that ones beliefs in any matter should be based on evidence. Evidence which can be independently and objectively verified. It's for these reasons (and others of course) that I personally find the Box Office so fascinating. 

If you truly don't think that I put any thought into the method by which I came to have my list that's fine. You have no reason to trust me, or anyone else for that matter. 

If everyone has such a fundamental problem with my personal opinion then please leave my list out of the final tally (I already said I didn't mind this happening). Please don't think for one minute that I have not put any thought into this though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1