The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Gotcha.  May I ask for you to explain why you love Beauty and the Beast (2017)?

You'll find my reasoning behind the entire list throughout this thread if you care to look. 

And I learned my lesson the last time you fundamentally misunderstood a basic tenant of American Democracy, that attempting to explain anything to you is a chore I would wish on no one. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Not true. I've spent literally years reading books like Conjectures and Refutations, The Logic of Scientific Discovery, Theory and Reality, Philosophical Investigations, Reasons and Persons, and Language, Truth and Logic to name but a few. 

I didn't just randomly grab this view out of the air, which is why I find the label 'troll' to be libel. I sincerely and fundamentally believe that ones beliefs in any matter should be based on evidence. Evidence which can be independently and objectively verified. It's for these reasons (and others of course) that I personally find the Box Office so fascinating. 

If you truly don't think that I put any thought into the method by which I came to have my list that's fine. You have no reason to trust me, or anyone else for that matter. 

If everyone has such a fundamental problem with my personal opinion then please leave my list out of the final tally (I already said I didn't mind this happening). Please don't think for one minute that I have not put any thought into this though. 

Be that as it may and regardless of what books you have read, copying a top 100 list doesn't really lend any credence or conviction to your assertion that the list is truly your favourite films of all time and in that order.

If you really want the list included, why not switch up a few positions?  Have you really seen every film on the top 100 list?  You really like Zootopia more than you like Madagascar 3?  You really feel that Twilight New Moon is better than True Lies?  You have no room on your list for Terminator?  You are a Cameron loonie and yet you only have two of his films on your list?  

I don't buy it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

a top 100 list doesn't really lend any credence or conviction to your assertion that the list is truly your favourite films of all time and in that order.

You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding what an opinion is. I measure my opinion using the verifiability criterion of meaning, for me to have a favorite means that it must have an objective measure behind it. 

And don't confuse me with @IronJimbo, I love Cameron and his movies, but I find the study of the box office, and his box office dominance far more entertaining, I choose to be a "Cameron loonie" precisely because he alone has managed to dominate the field. 

You not buying it is fine, like I said, don't include my list. I'm not going to lose any sleep over being excluded. 

If anything I find it funny that so much controversy has been generated over me liking the biggest box office successes on this very forum! 

• Haha 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I love Cameron and his movies, but I find the study of the box office, and his box office dominance far more entertaining, I choose to be a "Cameron loonie" precisely because he alone has managed to dominate the field. 

Shouldnt you be a Disney loonie considering how many movies are in the top 100?  Or a Transformers loonie?  There’s more Transformers films in the top 100 than Cameron films.

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding what an opinion is. I measure my opinion using the verifiability criterion of meaning, for me to have a favorite means that it must have an objective measure behind it. 

And don't confuse me with @IronJimbo, I love Cameron and his movies, but I find the study of the box office, and his box office dominance far more entertaining, I choose to be a "Cameron loonie" precisely because he alone has managed to dominate the field. 

You not buying it is fine, like I said, don't include my list. I'm not going to lose any sleep over being excluded. 

If anything I find it funny that so much controversy has been generated over me liking the biggest box office successes on this very forum! 

It's fine to like films that make lots of money.  We all get that.  But to submit a list that is just a copy and paste of the top 100 films of all time is not really in the spirit of the exercise.  I ask you again, have you seen every film on the list?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Shouldnt you be a Disney loonie considering how many movies are in the top 100?  Or a Transformers loonie?  There’s more Transformers films in the top 100 than Cameron films.

22 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

that attempting to explain anything to you is a chore I would wish on no one. 

Using your logic TOG we'd measure the success in sports not by who beats their competitors, but by which demographic has greatest representation. An interesting idea, no doubt, but one I couldn't agree with. 

• Like 1

Well, you at least made a case, @JamesCameronScholar.  Thanks for doing so.  I still don't think it's in the spirit of the thread and what Panda is asking for.  But if this is truly how you feel, that anything that is on the top 100 list is worth of your top 100, then so be it.  I just don't see how it fits in with the viability of this particular thread.  What you are saying is that as soon as one film replaces another on the thread, that film automatically becomes your (insert number here) of all time.

That's where it doesn't resonate.

• Like 3

I can understand where he's coming from but only if you don't personally care about the medium. For instance I would say if I have to rank the best paintings ever, I would probably rank them in order of what they sold for, because while I dont care about art, it amazes me that a painting has sold for £100 million or whatever.

• Like 5

It's hard to argue against how someone ranks their favourite films.

Maybe you need a rule change next year 😂

@JamesCameronScholar

You're good at this sort of thing, what rule would effectively block your way of ranking favourite films without explicitly saying a list can't the same as the top100 grossing list.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, you at least made a case, @JamesCameronScholar.  Thanks for doing so.  I still don't think it's in the spirit of the thread and what Panda is asking for.  But if this is truly how you feel, that anything that is on the top 100 list is worth of your top 100, then so be it.  I just don't see how it fits in with the viability of this particular thread.  What you are saying is that as soon as one film replaces another on the thread, that film automatically becomes your (insert number here) of all time.

That's where it doesn't resonate.

I think the problem lay in the use of 'opinion', which mine quite evidently differs from the vast majority (and I know this is often the case, in real life I often find myself at odds with the majority opinion too!)

As I have said, if Panda doesn't feel like it's in the spirit of what he is trying to do who am I to stop him picking and choosing who and what he wants? It is his idea and thread after all!

As I have repeatedly stated I have no problem with being excluded - the problem I had was people attempting to paint me as a liar or 'troll' (whatever that term means). 

• Like 2

I've never thought of you as a troll.  I'll make that very clear.  I also like that you took the time to explain your logic a little.

But I do think that in the spirit of the top 100 list, your list and reason for it is vastly different than everyone else.  And it's hard to accept a list that is just 100% box office based.  

But, if this is truly how you feel, that any film that is on the top 100 world wide list of box office, is by definition one of the best 100 films ever made, then so be it.  

I think Panda has made his choice.  But I at least understand where you are coming from and it doesn't feel like you are mocking the rest of us.  Even if it's hard to comprehend your thought process.  :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tree said:

I can understand where he's coming from but only if you don't personally care about the medium. For instance I would say if I have to rank the best paintings ever, I would probably rank them in order of what they sold for, because while I dont care about art, it amazes me that a painting has sold for £100 million or whatever.

I have zero taste for aesthetics, which ties in to my logical positivism! I won't get into the entire argument now, but I do agree with your point on the paintings. 

For me I have to agree with McLuhan that "the medium is the message" and so would disagree that I don't care for the medium, although I'm happy to concede I might not care about it in the same way you do. 

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're good at this sort of thing, what rule would effectively block your way of ranking favourite films without explicitly saying a list can't the same as the top100 grossing list.

I was never good at making or abiding by rules Jimbo, I'll leave this up to Panda. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tree said:

That's a great explanation.  I know nothing about art either.  And I would probably rank them that way as well.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think Panda has made his choice.  But I at least understand where you are coming from and it doesn't feel like you are mocking the rest of us.  Even if it's hard to comprehend your thought process.  :) 

I'm glad you understand, and sincerely hope that Panda does not for one second think I was ever trying to mock him or the list. I actually really admire the entire exercise and the work he is evidently putting in to making this whole thing work. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tree said:

imo anyone should be able to send any list.

I wrote most of a list when this was first posted and never finalised it, I'll send it to you @Critically Acclaimed Panda when I go home for lunch in a couple hours if thats ok. sorry I can see i've missed the deadline

I’m still scoring a few more lists so you should be fine

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'm glad you understand, and sincerely hope that Panda does not for one second think I was ever trying to mock him or the list. I actually really admire the entire exercise and the work he is evidently putting in to making this whole thing work. 

That’s fair enough, I’ll go ahead and throw your list back in.  Your logic doesn’t make sense to me but you at least explained your opinion.  I could see it similar to somebody who’s favorite sports team is whichever team is performing the best that year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1