filmlover

Best Supporting Actor Predictions 2018

32 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Coogler didn’t do Creed 2 so my faith in it is pretty low.

Jordan in Black Panther is excellent, idk where that backlash hate is coming from.

backlash? i saw it on opening day and slated his performance give me a little credit please.

I loved Jordan's performance in Black Panther but he's not getting nominated for it. Actors need to really have some special going for them to get recognized for a movie like this (like Heath Ledger's The Joker would have even if it weren't for unfortunate circumstances). Plenty of contenders in more "traditional" fare for the Academy's taste would need to drop like flies first.

expecting a good performance out of Toni Collete with Hereditary, I could not help but notice Gabriel Byrne exceeded in his role too.  I think if Hereditary is going to enter the awards with best actress, then Gabriel Byrnes role would show up too just because of the recognition.  

Beautiful Boy's reviews are coming in and Chalamet could snag a nomination given how low on contenders this category has this year, but that's as far as he's going for a movie that looks like it's only gonna get a decent reception at best. Will be interesting to see how Ben is Back is received tomorrow given the similarities between the two movies (lol if Lucas Hedges ends up a nominee for that and not Boy Erased like most have been predicting all year).

1 hour ago, Spagheditary said:

Chalamet may be the movie’s only nomination, IMO.

And if the film goes nowhere at the box office (possible) he likely won't be nominated at all. This definitely feels like a year where we're bound to end up with some surprise nominees that we're not looking at this early in the race.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And if the film goes nowhere at the box office (possible) he likely won't be nominated at all. This definitely feels like a year where we're bound to end up with some surprise nominees that we're not looking at this early in the race.

the big dog from hotel Transylvania 3. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...Beautiful Boy is looking to get very mixed reviews out of TIFF. And will likely make nothing at the box office. Don't think Timmy's getting close to nominated for this. Sorry, @CoolEric258!

This category is looking astoundingly weak. Perhaps Richard E. Grant really does win by virtue of the fact he has literally zero competition unless someone else emerges?

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah...Beautiful Boy is looking to get very mixed reviews out of TIFF. And will likely make nothing at the box office. Don't think Timmy's getting close to nominated for this. Sorry, @CoolEric258!

This category is looking astoundingly weak. Perhaps Richard E. Grant really does win by virtue of the fact he has literally zero competition unless someone else emerges?

Yeah, no.

I know being the resident Timmy T fanboy here makes me sound like a nutcase, but here's the problem.

First off, reviews are fine? It's largely landing in the high C's, low B's, which isn't a great result, but certainly fine enough, and isn't an outright panning. Especially since Chalamet is by far the most acclaimed element in the film. Generally, even people who don't like the movie tout that Chalamet's performance was incredible, and he's already riding a huge amount of goodwill with CMBYN and his future projects. From passion alone, he has a great shot.

Outside of that, what else do we have when it comes to contenders so far? Ben Foster would be cool, but it feels a touch unlikely. Richard E. Grant is getting a lot of attention, so he seems okay. Adam Driver has also done well, but I feel as if having him getting nominated depends on John David Washington's chances (the Academy pulling another Do the Right Thing I just don't see happening), and JDW is on the fringe, and really depends on if Malek disappoints and/or Redford's movie gets forgotten about. Sam Rockwell might deliver with Backseat. Haven't heard much about Sam Elliott, but maybe he gets in thanks to ASIB being such a hit. Crowe could do well too, but he hasn't been singled out much. I guess Beale Street, Widows, or Ben is Back might make him vulnerable if either of those land.

But as of right now, I don't think it's fair to cut him out just yet, unless Kaluuya, Duvall, Stephan James, or Hedges get raves tonight or tomorrow.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Yeah, no.

I know being the resident Timmy T fanboy here makes me sound like a nutcase, but here's the problem.

First off, reviews are fine? It's largely landing in the high C's, low B's, which isn't a great result, but certainly fine enough, and isn't an outright panning. Especially since Chalamet is by far the most acclaimed element in the film. Generally, even people who don't like the movie tout that Chalamet's performance was incredible, and he's already riding a huge amount of goodwill with CMBYN and his future projects. From passion alone, he has a great shot.

Outside of that, what else do we have when it comes to contenders so far? Ben Foster would be cool, but it feels a touch unlikely. Richard E. Grant is getting a lot of attention, so he seems okay. Adam Driver has also done well, but I feel as if having him getting nominated depends on John David Washington's chances (the Academy pulling another Do the Right Thing I just don't see happening), and JDW is on the fringe, and really depends on if Malek disappoints and/or Redford's movie gets forgotten about. Sam Rockwell might deliver with Backseat. Haven't heard much about Sam Elliott, but maybe he gets in thanks to ASIB being such a hit. Crowe could do well too, but he hasn't been singled out much. I guess Beale Street, Widows, or Ben is Back might make him vulnerable if either of those land.

But as of right now, I don't think it's fair to cut him out just yet, unless Kaluuya, Duvall, Stephan James, or Hedges get raves tonight or tomorrow.

Of course I'm not completely ruling him out yet (though a win is highly unlikely, which is good because the inevitable day he wins an Oscar is the same day @CoolioD1 is gonna get Thanosed and we're not ready for him to leave us just yet), but it really is gonna depend on if the film doesn't completely sink at the box office. We saw last year what happens to movies that don't immediately scream "Oscar contender" (remember Last Flag Flying? Or Breathe? Or Wonderstruck? No?). And October sure does look like a month that's gonna be heavy on contenders which are also being immediately positioned as box office hits. So it's not impossible, but he's gonna need for the field to remain as dead as it currently is and for the film to not get lost to earn a nomination.

13 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Adam Driver has also done well, but I feel as if having him getting nominated depends on John David Washington's chances (the Academy pulling another Do the Right Thing I just don't see happening)

I don't feel like they've gotten equal praise though. Between the two lots of people found Driver's role and performance better than JDW's, so I doubt there'll be much of an issue if only the white actor gets nominated. Especially when Lee is looking strong in best director and screenplay. 

I somehow got looped into a Twitter conversation with Kris Tapley and Kyle Buchanan today (both two of the smartest awards pundits) and they both seem to think Grant//Chalamet/Jordan/Elliot/Kayuula seems like the five, with Driver/Backseat guys/Crowe serving as spoilers. Everyone in the discussion seemed to think that based on buzz Grant/Chalamet/Jordan are the three who are closed to locked, or at least with the best chances. Coolio nightmare scenario engaged.

It's not just me stanning for the actor and his performance: I straight up think Jordan is winning at this point in time. More diverse Academy, has the narrative, showy role, all of that combined I think he ends up taking home the gold. I think it's Jordan vs. Grant this year, unless Rockwell/Carrell/Perry turn out great.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

It's not just me stanning for the actor and his performance: I straight up think Jordan is winning at this point in time. More diverse Academy, has the narrative, showy role, all of that combined I think he ends up taking home the gold. I think it's Jordan vs. Grant this year, unless Rockwell/Carrell/Perry turn out great.

kaluuya could win honestly from the stuff i've read and it seems more likely than jordan. another showy villain role and he's not in a marvel movie, and he's building hype from his nomination last year too. if widows can get a best picture nomination (seems like it's on the edge) that'll push him over the top.