Eric Duncan

The Many Saints of Newark | October 1, 2021 | Sopranos Prequel written by David Chase l ALAN TAYLOR DIRECTS

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

I think this looks interesting, but I’ve never watched The Sopranos. Is it worth it? Or is the movie so tied to the show that watching it as a non-fan I would be totally lost and bored?

you’ll enjoy it regardless. If you liked Goodfellas then you’ll like this. 

but….I would strongly urge you watch the show first, and then this prequel. The show is absolute nirvana from start to finish and you’ll likely start it and hurtle through them all in a matter of weeks. 

The events of Newark will land properly then once you’ve got what follows in your veins! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DAJK said:

I think this looks interesting, but I’ve never watched The Sopranos. Is it worth it? Or is the movie so tied to the show that watching it as a non-fan I would be totally lost and bored?

One of the main hooks of this prequel is seeing Michael Gandolfini inherit the iconic role of his beloved late father, so I imagine watching the series (which really is among the best shows ever and always will be) first would be highly beneficial to getting the most out of this.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dear Eric Hansen said:

Midway through Season 2, and I'm hoping I'll be done with that before this movie comes out. I'll admit I do think Season 1 is stronger, though obviously both are great and it's more just preference in storylines.

Just wait until Funhouse.

f7568206037c9f9c1e7f8a7c883e075e.gif

Well, I enjoyed the majority of what I could actually see of this film. Cineworld ballsed up the projection and showed it zoomed in for the entire film, so whenever there was a close up of a character’s face it’d cut off at the nose. Multiple people complained, but other than removing the scope masking that shouldn’t have even been there, they said they couldn’t do anything…Cinemas, truly the best place to watch a movie 🙄 At least I got comp tickets out of it, so that’s IMAX Dune paid for.

I need to watch the film again though before I pass judgement on it, but I mostly enjoyed it despite that horrendous presentation, some of the actors were spot on with their impressions, Vera Farmiga in particular.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 7:03 AM, Eric Soprano said:

Midway through Season 2, and I'm hoping I'll be done with that before this movie comes out. I'll admit I do think Season 1 is stronger, though obviously both are great and it's more just preference in storylines.

Wait till you get to the Pine Barrens episode....

This was alright. It was basically an extended episode of the show, even down to a lot of plot threads that feel unresolved. Of course, at the same time, there's nothing wrong with an extended Sopranos episode, and there's a lot of great character moments in here. The big sticking point though is how muddy and washed out the cinematography is, particularly in the nighttime scenes. It's a real stark contrast to how gorgeous the show was back then.

Throughly enjoyed it despite a few quibbles:

Spoiler

I don't think they made Junior';s motivation for having Dickie whacked strong enough, and, although they generlaly did a very good job of casting actors who look like a younger version of the TV series charecters, they failed a couple of times; the actress who played the teen age Carmela in the bus stop scene does not look anything like Edie Falco.but the actress who played the  teenage Janice 100% nailed it both in appreance and personality.

And I was caught off guard by the mid credit sequence. I guess Alan Taylor did take something away from his less then fully sucessful trip into the MCU ......

Edited by dudalb